The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:35 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
The only reference number on the caseback of my Breitling chronograph is "2002" (which, according to the Benno Richter book, page 157, means it's a ladies' wristwatch , and/or page 166, means it should have a Venus 188 caliber movement).

Can anyone shed further light on this?

Looking at page 15 of the 1969 catalog you all have on line, it looks like there are several "2002" designations, and that a decimal point may be relevant.
http://www.breitlingsource.com/books_1969.shtml

I'd like to get more specific w/ this watch, if possible. (Answers to my previous Thread regarding the James Bond Thunderball watch here were extremely helpful as a start! Thank you.)

Finally-- Any advice on opening the case on the watch I have?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:28 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 2 posts
You found one then?

Get some pictures posted... or was it you that outbid me on the one on ebay a few days ago :shock: ?
Come to think of it.... the user ID mentioned bond watches... it WAS you wasn't it! :D
I was half asleep and mistyped my max bid in a few seconds before it ended... :roll:
You got a good price there...

How is the crystal on it? It looked like it was scratched in the pictures.
I am just having my #815 fitted with a new crystal...gimme a few days I will be able to tell you where I got my replacement from (i'll find out from my watchmaker)

Last edited by rat on Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Eureka!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:52 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
rat wrote:
You found one then?

Get some pictures posted... or was it you that outbid me on the one on ebay a few days ago :shock: ?
Come to think of it.... the user ID mentioned bond watches... it WAS you wasn't it! :D
I was half asleep and mistyped my max bid in a few seconds before it ended... :roll:
You got a good price there...

How is the crystal on it? It looked like it was scratched in the pictures.
I am just having my #815 fitted with a new crystal...gimme a few days I will be able to tell you where I got my replacement from (i'll find out from my watchmaker)

Anyway- valjoux 7730 or 7733 movement is what the 2000/2002 should have.
It is a snap on back.

The venus 188 appeared on some of the other 2 register models from that era...although I have only ever seen them on the ones with the squared pushers- not rounded.
Dont think I have ever seen a 2000/2002 with a venus. The only top times I have seen with a venus have been a couple of the larger, thicker three register ones.

Yeah, I guess I'm the guilty party. Much as I'm pleased w/ the acquisition, I am truly sorry it had to be at your expense. You've been the most helpful of all at this phase of my search, and I truly appreciate that. :D

The crystal is excellent, appears new (which is what the Seller told me when I inquired prior to bidding). Dial is very good, just short of excellent. Case is good to very good. Crown wobbles, so I'm not sure how that figures into claims of the watch just having been overhauled for $300 recently. Appears to keep good time since I received it a few days ago, chronometer functions work just fine.

The price was right for what I was comfortable risking if I was off on authenticity. The poor photography for the auction is a real mystery to me, particularly in light of how well-imaged the other pieces appeared from the same source. I had resources here to remove what appeared to be scanner bed muck from what was truly representative of the watch, but you still never know.

Haven't opened the case yet. You say snap-on back (which I suspected), but I'm not sure about translating that to "how" I snap it off (and then back on) w/out damaging the case. Recommendations? :?

What I'm now interested in doing w/ this watch in hand as a starting point is trying to get my arms around how many different reference numbers could actually be mistaken for the same watch, but in truth be somehow different. Sorta the old "which Rolex Submariner did Sean Connery actually wear in Dr. No, from among no less than 3 true contenders?" Same issues w/ some of the Seiko Bonds, if you follow things outside of Breitling.

Thanks for your response here. Check your PM here, okay?

Post subject: Re: Eureka!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:53 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 19 posts
Dell Deaton wrote:
Haven't opened the case yet. You say snap-on back (which I suspected), but I'm not sure about translating that to "how" I snap it off (and then back on) w/out damaging the case. Recommendations? :?

You open it with a watchmakers knife, or a stable pocket knife (the later a bit more riskier regarding scratches). Place the blade between the case and the back and gently/firmly push. It'll snap open. When you put it back on, check that everything is lined up and the just push it right back on with your thumbs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 2:11 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 2 posts
rat wrote:

Anyway- valjoux 7730 or 7733 movement is what the 2000/2002 should have.
It is a snap on back.

Dont think I have ever seen a 2000/2002 with a venus. The only top times I have seen with a venus have been a couple of the larger, thicker three register ones.

I will eat my words....yes... all of them.....

Firstly, its not a snap on back. the crystal lifts out , the crown comes off, then the movement comes out of the front. Went to my watchmaker yesterday and he set me straight on this by doing it in front of me!

I was previously informed by general opinion that it was a snap on back-doh!
Don't believe everything you read on the internet! :oops:

Secondly, I have just got a 2002 with a venus 188....... an absolute minter too 8)
And yes, its the bond model :D

Side by side next to my other 2002, they are not as identical as you would think at first glance. the dial is noticeably a different colour, and the diffeernt shape & size markers & hands make it look rather different.