The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:44 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
I am the original owner of a Cosmonaute that I purchased in Singapore in 1975. From what I can tell however, the watch was manufactured closer to 1970. I can barely make out the serial number and it appears to be 1323020. Can anyone date this watch more accurately? If it would be helpful I would gladly include images of the watch if only I could figure out how to do that. Oh yes, the model is ref 1809 and also on the back is included: DDE BR 11525/67. It also has a stainless steel link bracelet that I don't see in the online pictures Ive found. Does this increase the value of the watch? Thanks in advance for any help.

Scott M.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:00 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
jscottm523 wrote:
I am the original owner of a Cosmonaute that I purchased in Singapore in 1975. From what I can tell however, the watch was manufactured closer to 1970. I can barely make out the serial number and it appears to be 1323020. Can anyone date this watch more accurately? If it would be helpful I would gladly include images of the watch if only I could figure out how to do that. Oh yes, the model is ref 1809 and also on the back is included: DDE BR 11525/67. It also has a stainless steel link bracelet that I don't see in the online pictures Ive found. Does this increase the value of the watch? Thanks in advance for any help.

Scott M.

As you guessed, too many questions to reliably answer without pictures - take a look here - http://breitlingsource.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=453 for instructions.

As for the serial number, that dates to 1969 - let's save the value discussion until we see what we're dealing with :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:01 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Here is a photobucket link to some images I took. Sorry for the poor quality as the only thing digital I have at my disposal is my cell phone. As you can see, the cap is missing from the right lower pusher (or whatever it is it's called) The button though is still functional and I would guess the cap itself is replaceable. The crystal could use polishing as it has quite a few light scratches. I cant remember the exact date but I did have it serviced once in the mid seventies by a Bernard Sampter in NYC. At the time he was the only authorized Breitling service dealer in the US. By now Im sure he has passed on.

http://s287.photobucket.com/albums/ll128/jscottm523/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:02 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

jscottm523 wrote:
Here is a photobucket link to some images I took. Sorry for the poor quality as the only thing digital I have at my disposal is my cell phone. As you can see, the cap is missing from the right lower pusher (or whatever it is it's called) The button though is still functional and I would guess the cap itself is replaceable. The crystal could use polishing as it has quite a few light scratches. I cant remember the exact date but I did have it serviced once in the mid seventies by a Bernard Sampter in NYC. At the time he was the only authorized Breitling service dealer in the US. By now Im sure he has passed on.

http://s287.photobucket.com/albums/ll128/jscottm523/

Hmmmm, well that threw me. I was absolutely convinced that you were going to show me a Cosmo on what's known as a No. 14 bracelet which was an option for the 1809 in the early 70s. However, this isn't a No. 14 - that has a wider middle section. Not sure what this is immediately, I'll see what I can come up with.

I'll also see what I can come up with in terms of value - all the paperwork will be a big boost, as will the fact that you are the original owner. The lack of a service in 30 years - not such a great thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:56 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

OK, so I found the bracelet - seems to be a standard 1970s bracelet, just not usually seen with that watch - don't think it will make any difference to value.

Now let's try and deal with the tricky subject of value - if you've had the watch since knew then this is likely an academic question, but I still feel like I need to say that I am less comfortable with my numbers here than on some of the others. The latest version of the guide has your exact watch, same era, on the No. 14 bracelet with a value of $3,200 - $3,800. I personally find that slightly high, but certainly in the ballpark - my immediate reaction was $3,000 - $3,500. The fact that you have owned since new and have all of the paperwork certainly increases the value and would push it closer to $4,000.

But, and it's a big but, you stated that the watch hasn't been serviced since the mid 70s, and that would make potential buyers nervous. You have to figure $500 - $600 for a service, and after so long this may be conservative - certainly I'd look for a bigger discount if I was buying.

So I find myself left with putting a value of $2,800 - $3,200 on it. If you had it serviced then I'm back to $3,500 - $4,000. If the question is for insurance purposes - I would be looking at $4,000 - $4,500.

Hope all that helps!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:33 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Thanks so much for your diligence and detective work. I do appreciate it.

Not being a watch officianado, I was always laboring under the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality. Therefore, I wonder if I might ask what a competent "service" of a quality watch include? What sort of things should I be looking for in choosing someone to service it. Assuming that it does currently run (and it does); how far into it should one go. Should it be taken completely apart, cleaned and lubricated? Im just at a loss as to what to have someone do to it besides the obvious like attempt to remove the scratches from the crystal and replace the pusher.

Thanks again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:37 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

The easy answer is that you should take it to a Breitling AD and let them handle it. They will do a thorough servicing - think of it like a strip down on a car engine - everything comes apart is cleaned, lubricated, damaged or worn parts are replaced and the watch is reassembled and regulated.

Remember an automatic (or manual) watch is made up of a large number of mechanical parts and every time they move against one another there is a tiny amount of wear, friction, etc.

They will also do a thorough makeover and give you back a watch that's good as new.

Given the condition that your watch is in you don't need a professional restorer, Breitling will be able to access replacement parts like the pusher.