The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:14 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
I am very happy to have found this forum. I have a small watch collection which I am selling individually on eBay. I have prepared a description for a vintage Breitling which is below. I would greatly appreciate any help in what it is that I have so that my description is accurate. I am a novice to watches and did my best in the description. I don't know if this watch is from the '50's or 60's or any other details that I am missing. I purchased this watch 6 years ago from a watch dealer. The auction doesn't go live until Monday, so I still have some time. Also, please offer any insight into the current market value. Thank you in advance for your help.

Here is my description:
VINTAGE BREITLING CHRONOGRAPH 18KT WITH ROMAN DIAL - RARE 1960's. This watch has a very attractive chronograph dial with Roman numbers. The dial is in excellent condition, and is marked "Breitling". The acrylic crystal is in excellent condition. This is an amazing case both top and back. The back case is equally marked and is a very gorgeous case! On the back of the case are numbers 629603 and 789. The winding crown is in excellent condition. It winds and sets perfectly! This is a most amazing movement. High grade Swiss Jewels. This timepiece also comes with an extremely high grade, lightly used, top quality leather strap. The dimension of this handsome timepiece are 36mm across including crown by 39mm lug to lug. Guaranteed genuine Breitling. Manufacturer: Breitling Watch Company. Year of manufactured: 1950's - 1960's. Dial: Roman dial in excellent condition. Nice chapter with small minute counter. Hand: Original in mint condition. Top Case: Breitling 18kt gold in excellent minty condition. Band: Lightly used high quality strap. Box & Paper: No. Movement Type: Breitling in excellent minty condition. Country of Origin: Switzerland. Function: Hour, minute, second, chronograph. Crystal: Acrylic in mint condition. Winding Crown: Excellent condition. Back Case: Breitling 18kt gold in excellent minty condition. Dimension: 36mm across including crown x 39mm lug to lug. Working Condition: Yes. Comments: A very gorgeous timepiece.

Last edited by mrseth on Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:14 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Well the serial dates it to 1945, which is consistent with a 789. The face looks right, can't comment on the movement - it's supposed to be a Venus 151 and I don't have an image of that to compare against yours. A good condition steel 789 from this era is worth around $1,200 - what will gold add - I guess you'll find out :)

Post subject: Breitling now on eBay
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:39 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Thanks to all that helped with the information on the watch. I listed it on eBay opening at $9.95. Hopefully it won't sell for only $9.95 :D . Here is the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=300217811974&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

Best,
Seth

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:51 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
mrseth wrote:
Thanks to all that helped with the information on the watch. I listed it on eBay opening at $9.95. Hopefully it won't sell for only $9.95 :D . Here is the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=300217811974&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

Best,
Seth

Not a bad price in the end. Consistent with the premiums that gold watches have been generating recently.