All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:19 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
rousp wrote:
Roffensian wrote:

One of the less common sellers, but yes.

Guess it´s best just to avoid every single watch from Argentina..

I can just imagne how scammed I would be if I tried to buy somehing from ebay without your help.....

There are some genuine watches from Argentina, but I won't touch them. I have walked away from watches that I was 99% sure were right, but I just don't trust Argentinian sourced watches. Most are genuine Breitling, but the caseback, movement, case and dial are often sourced from mutliple different watches. Even as recently as a few months ago there were some obvious ones where the movement didn't fit the case, but they seem to be getting a bit better at that.

There is also a trend to engrave casebacks - a lot of earlier Breitlings had plain casebacks but sellers are engraving with the Breitling logo becasue they think it adds to the value - then of course there are the replacement casebacks.......

If you are serious about a vintage try and pick up a copy of Benno Richter's book on Breitling - it's far from perfect, but is probably the best resource available. It's in the 3rd edition now, but only the prices have been updated so an earlier edition will still meet the need for identification.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:19 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
Thats a good tip!
Certainly something I will do if I get into Breitling..
And might just something I´l buy anyways..
Been facinated by watches since I was little, so why not buy some litterature.. Might be a good way to boost my interest..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:57 pm 
All Roads lead to Breitling
All Roads lead to Breitling

Liked in: 1 post
@ Roffensian
I saw this one yesterday when composing my reply to rousp and thought it looked terrific but then saw it was an Argentinian seller. Other than don't believe any watch from Argentina is genuine, what tells are there that this is a Frankenling (I like that term!).

And to repeat I point I made earlier, are there any easy signs you can advise to spot a seller in Europe or the USA who has bought the watch from South America and is now selling it on. Buy the seller is the obvious rule but what about the watch itself?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:00 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Sharkmouth wrote:
@ Roffensian
I saw this one yesterday when composing my reply to rousp and thought it looked terrific but then saw it was an Argentinian seller. Other than don't believe any watch from Argentina is genuine, what tells are there that this is a Frankenling (I like that term!).

And to repeat I point I made earlier, are there any easy signs you can advise to spot a seller in Europe or the USA who has bought the watch from South America and is now selling it on. Buy the seller is the obvious rule but what about the watch itself?

This one's actually very easy to spot - the face has the B logo with Breitling printed underneath. This change was made by Willy Breitling because he felt that the original script logo was too hard to read. Here's the kicker - the change was made in the mid 60s so how can a 1950 watch have a 1960s dial (and a 1960s caseback)?

I am anal on Argentinian watches - I won't touch them, and I'm getting the same way on Spanish for similar reasons. It's difficult to give hard and fast rules for what to look for, I tend to have a policy (as do many others) that if I can't find a similar model in old catalogues / advertisements, or in Richter I just won't touch it - there are other options out there.

Some indications - inconsistent logos from movement / case / dial, misdated logos (as in this case), serial not matching era (or serial not provided), badly fitting movement, lack of model number, etc

A plain caseback and the lack of Breitling anywhere on the movement are not necessarily problems - fairly typical of 1940s era.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:57 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Sorry guys, I need to correct something in my last post - it was bugging me so I went back to the books.

Breitling did introduce the B logo with printed text earlier than the 60s - both logo types were in use until the 60s when the script was dicscontinued. That means that this particular Argentinian watch could be real.

I'm still wary that there is no model number to reference and no serial number provided - although the seller states that the watch is 1950. Both would be on the inside of the caseback so no reason not to provide if there is nothing wrong.

This could be perfectly fine, but I still wouldn't touch it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:07 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Im amazed of the amout of knowlegde there is on this forum..

Still, I agree with you, it could be real, but it´s a bit to risky..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:57 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Some non Breitling watches here as well..
But I recon it´s best to keep everything on one place..
If our admin don´t agree, please let me know.

I found two more possible Breitlings on ebay ( most of them seems to come from Argentina... :evil: )

A wakman:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Stainless-S ... dZViewItem

And a classic vintage:
http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-BREITLING-G ... dZViewItem

and now (hold your breath..) two omega watches..
(If you know an omega forum or such, please let me know and I´ll bring the omega discussion over there :) )

Two speedmasters actually.. They look nice I think..

http://cgi.ebay.com/8-371-OMEGA-Speedma ... dZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/8-249-OMEGA-Speedma ... dZViewItem

You might not be omega expert's, but as you say, buy the seller - then the watch.. The seller here is jmryshi, he has a TON of watches for sale.
So if one of you would like to take a look and see if you find some fake breitlings amog them, I would appreciate it!

Edit: After me doubting on the Omegas, I was told on a omega forum that they, without a doubt is real.. So the lesson is, Im not an omega expert just yet ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:41 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

rousp wrote:
Some non Breitling watches here as well..
But I recon it´s best to keep everything on one place..
If our admin don´t agree, please let me know.

I found two more possible Breitlings on ebay ( most of them seems to come from Argentina... :evil: )

A wakman:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Stainless-S ... dZViewItem

And a classic vintage:
http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-BREITLING-G ... dZViewItem

and now (hold your breath..) two omega watches..
(If you know an omega forum or such, please let me know and I´ll bring the omega discussion over there :) )

Two speedmasters actually.. They look nice I think..

http://cgi.ebay.com/8-371-OMEGA-Speedma ... dZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/8-249-OMEGA-Speedma ... dZViewItem

You might not be omega expert's, but as you say, buy the seller - then the watch.. The seller here is jmryshi, he has a TON of watches for sale.
So if one of you would like to take a look and see if you find some fake breitlings amog them, I would appreciate it!

Edit: After me doubting on the Omegas, I was told on a omega forum that they, without a doubt is real.. So the lesson is, Im not an omega expert just yet ;)

I know as much about Omegas as I do about nuclear fission, brain surgery, and women which is to say, nothing. However, jmryshi is trustworthy - his watches are real. I have only heard of one anecdote where he had a (very good) fake and it was because he was conned - he took the hit, not his customer.

As for the Breitlings - well the Wakmann has one big concern for me - it may just be the angle of the photos, but I don't think that the movement fits in the case properly - it looks too small. It may be an even inner channel for a double caseback - the seller looks trustworthy, but I would want better photos. The 7733 also looks slightly modified - which may be OK, but then again.....

The second one - another rule I'm afraid - no movement pics, no sale - just what are they trying to hide in there?

The case back is in horrendous condition and what the diamond shaped engraving at the bottom is supposed to be is anyone's guess.

Bottom line - I'm more comfortable with the first, especially with a full on photo of the movement, though if it's a 7733 it is certainly modified. Technically it is a Breitling, but the Wakmann name definitely detracts from the value, especially outside of the US.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:02 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Was on a few ADs today.
Still haven´t had a breitling on my wrist, because the AD was closed :x
But I must say.. Omega is truley beautiful watches... They really are in a league above TAG hauer in real life (I still think that TAG look better on pictures thou.. but what does that matter?)
The seamaster is just so stunning..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 10:37 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Having bought a few watches from jmryshi, I can personally vouch for him. Great watches, exellent communication and always sends a pack of candy with the watch! :)

Several Others (Rado, TAGHeuer, etc)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 12:20 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

A little update:
I actually have bought a cheap watch for starters..
Just to see if I can stand having the thing on my wrist ;)

But Im constantly looking for bargains ;)

Post subject: frankewatch?
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 8:47 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

is this a frankewatch. Unfortunately for me I bid on it before I knew of such a thing

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0237512231

Post subject: Re: frankewatch?
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 9:16 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

mharpercurto wrote:
is this a frankewatch. Unfortunately for me I bid on it before I knew of such a thing

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0237512231

Well, if you've read these threads you already know what I'm going to say about it because it comes from Argentina.

The good news is, at that price, if you end up with it you'll be OK. The better news is, at that price, you likely won't get it - I hope your maximum bid isn't much higher.

I need to check the books, to check consistency of case / face / movement. The serial dates to 1962, but I'm not sure that the watch does. The (outer) caseback was definitely engraved a lot more recently than 1962 (the B isn't even centred properly).

Sorry, but I do believe that this is partly an assemblage of Breitling parts, and partly fake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 10:34 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Thanks Roffensian. I placed the bid quickly and without really thinking. It's stupid on my part. You mentioned that you think some part is fake. I was wondering if you could tell me what part you think is fake, in case I do somehow end up with the watch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 10:38 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

mharpercurto wrote:
Thanks Roffensian. I placed the bid quickly and without really thinking. It's stupid on my part. You mentioned that you think some part is fake. I was wondering if you could tell me what part you think is fake, in case I do somehow end up with the watch.

The outer caseback is a blank that has been engraved (badly).