Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:24 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Hi Forum,

Firstly to introduce myself, Anthony from UK. Recently broke my Breitling cherry with a modern Navitimer, then a week later I acquire an old Cadette.

Can anyone tell me the exact year, or anything about this model? The numbers on the back;

As the pictures show, it's been well worn, the bezel was machined and replaced by Grand Father, notice the brass coloured section. Any ideas on how and where I could get this watch restored to a former glory?

Nice to hear from you all,
Anthony

Post subject: Face Image
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:29 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Attachment:
front_01.jpg

Attachment:
side_10.jpg

Attachment:
back_01.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:34 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
It's from 1968 and has a Valjoux 7733 manual wind movement. I don't think that the chrono seconds hand is original, the ones that I have seen had black ones. I also think that the crown may be a replacement.

We have a member here, chronodeco (Craig) who restores these pieces so drop him a line and he can likely help you out.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:44 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Thank you Sir. That probably qualifies for the fastest ever forum reply I received :lol:

What you say ties in exactly with what we know, it was received as a gift "in the late 60s" and we think the glass and crown (I said bezel, I'm really a watch novice) was certainly replaced. Interesting that the chrono hand may have also, looks like it suffered quite an injury.

I will contact chronodeco (Craig) to see what he can do for me. Thanks once again Roffensian.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:48 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

fatcontroller wrote:
Thank you Sir. That probably qualifies for the fastest ever forum reply I received :lol:

What you say ties in exactly with what we know, it was received as a gift "in the late 60s" and we think the glass and crown (I said bezel, I'm really a watch novice) was certainly replaced. Interesting that the chrono hand may have also, looks like it suffered quite an injury.

I will contact chronodeco (Craig) to see what he can do for me. Thanks once again Roffensian.

It would have been quicker but I edited it after you posted the pictures :lol:

The hands were routinely replaced during servicing, so no real concern for that, and it may well be right, I've just only seen black ones.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:53 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 414 posts
I might have to disagree on this one. Too many things that don't add up. The back looks like a reproduction to me and the case looks like an earlier model than the serial number, neither of which coincide with a Breitling from 1968. I just spent 30 minutes Googling ref 1155 and couldn't find another picture anywhere. Nothing in Richter's book either. The flat pushers are really the tip off as I think they weren't used in round cases in 1968 and I think the Cadette name wasn't used that late. Might be wrong but I'd be surprised.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:10 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

vintage wrote:
I might have to disagree on this one. Too many things that don't add up. The back looks like a reproduction to me and the case looks like an earlier model than the serial number, neither of which coincide with a Breitling from 1968. I just spent 30 minutes Googling ref 1155 and couldn't find another picture anywhere. Nothing in Richter's book either. The flat pushers are really the tip off as I think they weren't used in round cases in 1968 and I think the Cadette name wasn't used that late. Might be wrong but I'd be surprised.

To be honest I missed the caseback - started writing without pictures and then only checked the dial when the pictures were posted.

I found this online for an 1155 (scroll down) - http://www.steinbreder.de/index.cfm?fuseaction=Angebote. Don't particularly like the dial on that, but I'm OK with the case and pusher style for it which is consistent with this piece.

68 is definitely late for a Cadette, but not sure if it's too late.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:43 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 414 posts
Roffensian wrote:
vintage wrote:

To be honest I missed the caseback - started writing without pictures and then only checked the dial when the pictures were posted.

I found this online for an 1155 (scroll down) - http://www.steinbreder.de/index.cfm?fuseaction=Angebote. Don't particularly like the dial on that, but I'm OK with the case and pusher style for it which is consistent with this piece.

68 is definitely late for a Cadette, but not sure if it's too late.

It would be interesting to see the back of the one in the URL above. Cadette's were from the forties and fifties and the one in the URL is identified as fifties too but without a pic of the back, who knows. I also found this one with the same dial.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:20 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Thanks all, absolutely fascinating :D

It was originally purchased from Watches Of Switzerland, King Street, Manchester, UK. For around £125 (memories may be a bit faded on the exact price). No paperwork or packaging remains though, I wonder if the original retailer might have records of it? Is it possible to contact Breitling directly for any photos of the old models?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:51 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

fatcontroller wrote:
Thanks all, absolutely fascinating :D

It was originally purchased from Watches Of Switzerland, King Street, Manchester, UK. For around £125 (memories may be a bit faded on the exact price). No paperwork or packaging remains though, I wonder if the original retailer might have records of it? Is it possible to contact Breitling directly for any photos of the old models?

Breitling went bankrupt in 1978 and there are no records earlier than that. You can try the retailer, although I would be surprised if they kept anything that far back.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:20 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Indeed, the retailer gave me the following feedback.

Quote:
Dear Sir,

Unfortunately we hold sales records for 7 years only, so would be unable to trace the watch sale. Due to the age of the watch parts may no longer be available to under take the service of the movement, but if you can bring the watch in to us, we would send it to Breitling UK for them to advise.
Kind regards Karon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:53 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

After a visit to Craig. All I can say is thank you, job well done Sir.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:56 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Told ya :lol: :wink:

Great job by Craig once again.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:46 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Didn't doubt you for a moment, and thanks to you to. It will make an old fella vey happy to see it looking so good! :D

Though now I'm a bit hooked, especially on those Black AOPAs in that 6 pack...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:03 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

How did I miss this one??

Very nice piece~

those hands are the same ones on my Top Time~

EDIT: found one just like this one on sale~

http://cgi.ebay.com/1968-Breitlings-Cad ... 4153174174