The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:42 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
I first posted this on the member intro forum, and was advised to try this Vintage Breitling forum...[added comments]

I am a retired Detroit Police Aviation Section pilot, 6670 hours in about 22 different aircraft, mostly helicopters but several fixed-wing models in over 25+ years. As a recreational pilot in about 1964 I bought a new Wakmann chronograph, proud as hell, but soon found the buttons sticking with summer perspiration. Number 181 on the back.

[Just found it again, in it's original red case, along with a lonesome Breitling AOPA dial. Why do I have an unattached dial, forty years old??? Who knows?!]

Somehow I bought an 806 just to get the sealed buttons, don't recall where or the price, had to be very inexpensive, probably used. Amazed at the accuracy.

I later found another one, again cannot now recall how I got it, must have been a swap for something, not likely much. My local watch repair man insists both are original Breitlings. He cleaned one (small knob) and it runs about a second a day off, two at most. Not bad. Number two is waiting for the oil.

Now I see a Breitling advertised, a 701 I think, price staggers me, $4400??? What is a 701 series? It looks about identical to my two, although mine have different diameters of winding knobs, and the slide rule scale on the small knob one is less readable, smaller font size, numbers less well placed on the dial, so is harder to use. The smaller knob has no "B". Both have the tiny airplane logos, not the AOPA logo.

I have a photo, but do not see a way to upload it.

[Will try the photo upload site mentioned]

Please forgive my ignorance of the Breitling cult, I just last month dug these relics out for cleaning, did not realize the possible value of my old stuff. I may give one to our son for Xmas.

How much did an 806 cost in the mid-late-sixties??

Who has the most authentic 1960-era bands?

[I found some for $109 !?!]

Who/what is associated with the dual airplane logo?

Sorry, have to see what Kwame Kilpatrick is up to today...

[Waiting for the Monday morning indictments!]

Best regards to all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:37 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
OK, that's a lot of questions - and you know I'm going to ask for photos, but here goes.

The 806 is a very famous Navitimer - many had the AOPA logo to associate them with flying, many had the two stylised aircraft (it's a Breitling logo) for the same reason. If you don't recall buying them I guess they are 806/3 models - stainless steel or maybe 806/4 - gold plated - I'm guessing you'ld remember buying 18K gold!!

Value is difficult, there are a lot of different Navitimers out there, but certainly expect $2,000 plus in good condition - more for insurance purposes.

Breitling did produce a 701 chronograph, although I can't find pictures, but I think what you have found is a contemporary watch - model a23322 which is also known as a 701 - that is a Navitimer.

There are some good straps available out there, but I don't know of a source for 1960s era straps. These guys will have straps that will fit and not look out of place - http://www.sirtoli.com. Of course you can also get a genuine Breitling strap (and you thought $109 was expensive.....).

A mid to late 60s 806 would have cost in the $200 - $250 range.