The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 2:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:38 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
so i had this watch in my possesion since i was born as it was my grandfathers watch bought brand new in 1970 then handed down to my father who wore the watch for ten years every day untill 1992 when the watch stopped working. he then bought a navitimer from berrys in leeds and has worn that since then. i had a few friends who had breitlings one of which i bought which got me to thinking i wonder whats wrong with that old breitling i have hidden away, so i pulled it out for a look.

it had a hidious thin cheap bracelet fitted which no way suited the fat case of the watch so i took that off and tried winding the watch up to see if it would keep time. it did. however the auto wind was not working and the time keeping was very bad. 15 mins a day out..... i kept winding the watch to keep it going and to see if it would improve but later noticed that the hands on the sub dials had fallen off and were rattling around in the face!!!

so that was that i had to do something about it.

i knew of a watch repairer in morley west yorkshire just outside leeds so i paid them a visit. i left the watch with them to inspect and later was told that the watch needed an auto wind wheel which they said they were unable to source as no one had any parts for the caliber 11 and breitling wouldnt sell any vintage parts. so... a few months went by, i tried to contact many watch part dealers in the UK and the US but only came to a solution that the solution was to spend a small fortune on a complete overhaul at breitling or a slightly smaller fortune at horological services in the US... i was at a loss and after a fair few weeks i decided to go collect the watch from the watch maker and just keep it as it was which i knew would be a shame but i could always save and send the watch off for a proper repair later.

so, two weeks ago i went to my watch maker and asked if i could collect the watch.... he walked over to the huge safe in the office and peered in, a few moments later he pulled out a card drawer with 5 watches in it. mine was there with a job card but totaly in bits in a round tin with a glass cover on it. as i looked i could see that the case had been polished and the acrylic crystal had be refurbed as well.it looked ace! the watch maker said well its still in bits as we are waiting the part for it. as i was so impressed with the state of the refurb on the case face and glass i thought right, im going to have a last ditch attempt to source this part. so back in the office i got cracking after speeking to 20 watch makers in the yellow pages i was refererd to the watch makers guild web site which has links to suppliers. i phoned a few who were either clock spares companies or were unable to help. one company however sugested i try AG Thomas in bradford. i thought well im in bradford! what are the chances of getting the bloody part 2 mins down from where i work! any way low and behold they only blooming had one!!! and it was £6.95.!! i broke the speed limit all the way there and finaly delivered the part to the watch maker. you should have seen his face when i walked in with it. you should have definately seen his face when i told him it came from one of his suppliers!! i guess it some times depends who you talk to and how bothered they can be to help you.

any way i had the part so i left it with them .

a week later i popped back in to check on progress. the movement was running but the watchmaker was un happy. he said the action was poor and showed me the oscilating wheel turning at the back. he said it was something to do with a rachet mechanism somewhere and that he would need the watch for a bit longer so im hoping it can be sorted quickly so i can get a new strap for it and wear it with some pride.

ill keep you all updated.

thanks for reading :lingsrock:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:50 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post

:yeahthat

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:25 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Does the Bradford watchmaker have any more - if so I'll buy every single one that he has.

That's a great story, I'm sure that you will be extremely pleased with the final result.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:39 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 414 posts
I just received a spare quartz movement from AGT last week. They have some hard to find pieces.