The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:49 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
Before jumping right into this, I just wanted to say that I recently discovered this Forum and am looking forward to getting involved here.

My primary interest is in James Bond wristwatches, and I currently own a number of Omega, Rolex, and Seiko models. So I'm long overdue to complete the series w/ a Breitling.

Can anyone help me identify w/ some greater degree of specificity the Breitling worn by Sean Connery as 007 in Thunderball? This was the very first gadget watch in the series, and the film prop appears to have been somewhat, but to what extent, I don't know.

Are images available of this type of watch as it was sold retail in the 1960s? Any information on the model number, et cetera?

The book Breitling: The History of a Great Brand of Watches 1884 to Present, by Benno Richter, appears to show the appropriate "Top Time" model I see in Thunderball on page 43, top row, middle wristwatch. But I'd appreciate thoughts from the experts here.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:08 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
It is definitely a Top Time, although Top Time is a range of watches rather than a single model as you probably realize from the book.

Incidentally, it's not the only Breitling in that movie - Domino's brother wears a Navitimer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:49 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Indeed. And thanks for your quick reply.

I did see the "range" of Top Time models, but I'm wondering how many "possible" versions potentially might have been "the" Thunderball (movie) watch. I've asked elsewhere, but no one seems to be able to tell. You'd be amazed at how much rocket science can be made over identifying 007 Rolex pieces from this same period.

What seems clear to me is that this Sean Connery watch was stainless steel, black dial, with two silver sub-dials and a silver ring around the dial. Further (if it's not against house rules here), I'd be curious what these watches sell for now days.

re Domino's brother, in the original Ian Fleming novel, James Bond actually removes the watch from this dead pilot and puts it on his own wrist ~ making it a 007 time piece as far as I'm concerned. No such luck in the EON film production, although I am aware that it was a Breitling here also.

Last edited by Dell Deaton on Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:52 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 2 posts
Its a Top time ref 2000 (or 2002 - both are very similar and in some cases cosmetically identical!) with an outer casing added by the prop dept.

There were a lot of variations with these- some subtle some not so subtle... I have one myself (ignore the two on the left...CBA to edit picture!):
You can see for yourself three of the minor differences just from the three pictures- red chrono counter, and slightly bigger markings on the dial... another common difference was the outer tach scale being there and being in white or not.

Dominos brother had a navitimer 806...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:16 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

This is great, rat; thanks!

So, if I'm understanding you correctly, the larger image that you Posted (immediately following the Thunderball screen shot) is not the same wristwatch worn by Sean Connery as James Bond. The first, most evident difference being its lack of white tach scale.

In your group shot, however, the right-most watch would be consistent w/ the 007 piece, except that the second-hand is red. Correct?

Now-- were all ref 2000 and 2002 Breightling Top Times solid stainless steel? Or would this include the gold plate options?

Also, if you happen to know: What is the 2000, 2002 selling for these days? (And are you aware of any that are currently available?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:58 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Kind of... the pictures were posted to show there are many variants across the range.. even between watches carrying the same ref#.
Some more pics (as you can tell, i did my research on these before buying..)

These two- either round cased or square cased- are identical to the one thunderball one was based on- identical to the one in my previous post, except for the white tach round the edge.

note the different fatter squared hands on this one...

Note the different slightly wider number markings on this one- another common difference..

And a shot of mine:
Mine has the red chrono hand and fatter hands /number markers ...despite having the same 2002 code as some of the above

Confused?
Like I said, quite a few variations! And thats not even including the square case/silver face/ blue face/ ones!
Bottom line- find a 2000 or 2002, then look carefully and compare to the two pictures at the top of this post.

As for them for sale... they appear on ebay from time to time- although prices have gone up recently... i paid £580 for mine. Ive seen them as cheap as £300 and as expensive as £1000. Gold ones seem to sell for significantly less than the steel ones. Ditto squared case vs round.

There is a basically NOS condition one here:
http://www.vingt4heures.com/index.php?o ... &Itemid=80
When I enquired a few months ago he quoted me a price of $1740 inc shipping- although that was with no negotiation- I am sure he will drop further...that seems rather expensive.
If you buy that one basically is the thunderball one with the exception of the prop department additional casing.

There is also one on www.ebay.co.uk item #280200377426 - currently at £700 which should be exactly what you are after

Post subject: Further question...
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:30 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Are these both the same specification? Thanks!

There is a basically NOS condition one here:
http://www.vingt4heures.com/index.php?o ... &Itemid=80
When I enquired a few months ago he quoted me a price of $1740 inc shipping- although that was with no negotiation- I am sure he will drop further...that seems rather expensive.
If you buy that one basically is the thunderball one with the exception of the prop department additional casing.

There is also one on www.ebay.co.uk item #280200377426 - currently at £700 which should be exactly what you are after

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:46 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

yep

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:33 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

rat wrote:
yep

Hmm... Bidding on the current eBay listing strikes me as odd: Two folks, each w/ zero feedback. And they're sitting right under the price for which a similar Top Time sold earlier this month. Sorta makes me wonder if they're not playing games, neither a serious buyer.

The vingt4heures.com watch does look nice, and I saw that he sells through eBay. But nothing currently for sale?

This has been really helpful. I supposed I'd move on something if it looked really good, but I'm also in no real hurry. I'll keep this Thread updated if I make further progress. Thanks again!

Post subject: Re: Further question...
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:38 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

rat wrote:
... There is also one on www.ebay.co.uk item #280200377426 - currently at £700 which should be exactly what you are after....

As you may have seen, this watch sold today for £820 (approximately $1,608.35). So maybe that $1,700-ish Top Time you mentioned, rat, may not be that far off!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:12 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Dell, do have anywhere or know of a comprehensive review of watches used in Bond films? As a Bond fan, that would be fascinating.

rat - thanks for the summary of the different models, really interesting

Post subject: Comprehensive Bond
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:24 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Seebass wrote:
Dell, do have anywhere or know of a comprehensive review of watches used in Bond films? As a Bond fan, that would be fascinating....

The short answer to your question is "no."

If you Google "James Bond" and "watch," you'll see a number of okay sites that come up. Most simply repeat one another, and none substantiate what they say. Or they're too general, as if the "Rolex Submariner" in Dr. No was the same as in The Man with the Golden Gun. Conflicting model numbers are often found for the 007 Seikos, and I've seen one site w/ two versions of one watch that are clearly different, but apparently the author failed to notice.

Sorry not to be more helpful. The concern I have is that too many folks who are self-proclaimed experts are really only trying to shoehorn a watch they own into some sort of platform from which to speak. As you've seen from this one thread on the Breitling Bond, "getting it right" takes a lot of work!