Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:18 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 0 post
Thanks for the compliments guys!. S'funny you know but there's not many Breitling models that really touch the spot with me. I personally like a 'clean' look without too much embellishment either to the dial or the casefront. I think the 60's and 70's Breitlings were in that sense some of the most handsome timepieces they have ever made. I particularly liked this model and all the Toptime range for that reason. Vintage Chronomatics would come second place followed by the daddy of them all, the Navi.

You can call me old school or just an old fart!, but there's only one modern piece I really like and thats the SO Heritage 46 :wink: I would love to see Breitling take a step back from bling and come up with some retro-inspired designs. In their absence and to preserve my gorgeous Breitling, I humbly own up to just having bought a rather tasty Oris titanium TT3 Day/Date for a daily wearer.

What do you think?

cheers,

ike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:32 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
I can understand your sentiments. I definitely see the modern watches as being very different from the older ones other than the continuous models like the Navitimer, Cosmonaute, etc.

I like both, but they definitely suit different situations.

The TT3 is a great watch, as are most all Oris - if I were to buy an Oris it would probably be a TT3.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:38 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 0 post
Bin meaning to ask since I've had it back. I notice the sweep second hand is not increment smoothly when fully wound. It seems to 'jump every few seconds. As the watch winds down, it gets smoother. It still keeps perfect time though, and the movement sounds very sweet and regular. The slightly jerky sweep is a little disconcerting. Is this a peculiarity of the Valjoux 7736 do you think, or something of more concern that I should refer back to Breitling SC?. My friend in the trade tells me that Breitling always fit a brand new mainspring with a vintage refurb, regardless.

cheers,

ike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:30 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
ike wrote:
Bin meaning to ask since I've had it back. I notice the sweep second hand is not increment smoothly when fully wound. It seems to 'jump every few seconds. As the watch winds down, it gets smoother. It still keeps perfect time though, and the movement sounds very sweet and regular. The slightly jerky sweep is a little disconcerting. Is this a peculiarity of the Valjoux 7736 do you think, or something of more concern that I should refer back to Breitling SC?. My friend in the trade tells me that Breitling always fit a brand new mainspring with a vintage refurb, regardless.

cheers,

ike

I do believe it's a new mainspring. This is probably more of a question for watchmakeress, I would expect the hands to move with every vibration of the movement (technically every second vibration but that's just detail) and I don't understand enough about movements to know what the potential problems would be with this. Obviously has something to do with the mainspring if it's only when fully wound, just not sure what.

Also remember that this watch won't have a slip clutch so no over winding!!!