Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:39 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Hi All,
i bought this watch because i like it's style, but i'm suspicious about it. I'm not very familiar with Breitlings... :? It has a valjoux 7733 movement but without any Breitling mark stemped or engraved on bridge. Caseback also not signed, but there is a ref (?) number 66 13 01 P. Can be real one or just another good looking vintage fake:

http://www.picmixer.com/pic/goyamaduer/ ... matic1.jpg
http://www.picmixer.com/pic/goyamaduer/ ... matic2.jpg
http://www.picmixer.com/pic/goyamaduer/ ... matic3.jpg
http://www.picmixer.com/pic/goyamaduer/ ... matic4.jpg

I saw a Waltham chrono on Ebay very similar to my Breitling:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPII.dll?V ... 0200050306

Any help would be useful. Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:30 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Yeah, sorry, as you suspect it's a fake.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:31 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 414 posts
As you might have guessed, Chrono-matic means automatic not manual wind.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:22 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

That makes three... sorry dude...

You should get your money back...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:01 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

vintage wrote:

Of course. I'm not so stupid or at least, i can combine. :) Not all of Chrono-matics are selfwinding - that's what i figured out from some sites about Breitling Chrono-Matic series. Specially at earlier ones. I also asked some collectors about signed movements and they told me about lots of unsigned ones - my friend have one even with Venus 170. That's why i was so brave and buy it. But from that moment i can't have peace and i'm always looking at it suspiciously. Nobody would recognize around me if it is a fake or not, but i feel this uneasy feeling. :(

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:29 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Tibor wrote:
vintage wrote:

Of course. I'm not so stupid or at least, i can combine. :) Not all of Chrono-matics are selfwinding - that's what i figured out from some sites about Breitling Chrono-Matic series. Specially at earlier ones.

Post a picture of one of those manual winding Chrono-matics. I know I'd be very interested in seeing one. Don't confuse Chronomat with Chrono-matic. Browse through the 69 manual, page 11 for example, and note how the Chrono-matic is underlined by 'self-winding.'

http://www.breitlingsource.com/books_1969.shtml

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:52 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

vintage wrote:
Don't confuse Chronomat with Chrono-matic. Browse through the 69 manual, page 11 for example, and note how the Chrono-matic is underlined by 'self-winding.'

You got the point. I think i confused the two. So, it's probably a Waltham then - or something with steel case and Valjoux movement from the late sixties - only the dial is Breitling. How will i sell this... :cry:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:03 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Tibor wrote:
vintage wrote:
Don't confuse Chronomat with Chrono-matic. Browse through the 69 manual, page 11 for example, and note how the Chrono-matic is underlined by 'self-winding.'

You got the point. I think i confused the two. So, it's probably a Waltham then - or something with steel case and Valjoux movement from the late sixties - only the dial is Breitling. How will i sell this... :cry:

I think all of us have gone through this at one point or another. It's certainly a learning experience.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:14 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

vintage wrote:
I think all of us have gone through this at one point or another. It's certainly a learning experience.

Quite expensive lesson. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:05 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

vintage wrote:
Tibor wrote:
vintage wrote:

I think I'm going to get a lot of heat from the veterans here but speaking of mistakes... :lol:

BEFORE
AFTER

It's a Baume and Mercier chrono from the 60's with a Landeron movement that I picked up awhile back. I thought it was a decent price and I thought i'd mix it up and add something different to my collection so I picked it up and had Craig restore it. Ran into so many problems. The dial was probably original but missing its feet so it was glued :shock: onto the movement, the chrono runner gears were for a 30 min instead of the 45 min. The bridge engraving is a bit shaky and I guess from what I was told it was for... you guessed it... a 30 min instead of 45 min register. Craig resigned another dial, relumed the hands, cleaned the movement, swapped out the pushers and second hand, and this is the result. He pretty much saved the watch. Probably did start life as a B&M and somewhere lost its identity. But regardless, my point exactly. I've learned. But I'll tell you, this watch gets more wrist time than any other watches in my collection. It's johnny on the spot with the time and these Landeron movements are bulletproof. For me, Craig really hooked it up with the price and the watch wasn't too expensive. But you live and you learn.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:23 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

We've all done it!

Chalk it up to experience and at least you have now found a bunch of people here who can help you on the next one - just ask before you buy :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:52 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Roffensian wrote:
Chalk it up to experience and at least you have now found a bunch of people here who can help you on the next one - just ask before you buy :lol:

Next time i know where to come. Thanks for help. :bow:
Now what shall i do with this "Breitling"...If the guy won't take it back (he won't) then i have to sell it myself. But how, and what price, i don't know...If i keep it, nobody will know about it's problem (except me :evil: ) Otherwise this is a massive steel cased, valjoux chrono with date - and with fancy dial. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:09 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Tibor wrote:
Roffensian wrote:

Next time i know where to come. Thanks for help. :bow:
Now what shall i do with this "Breitling"...If the guy won't take it back (he won't) then i have to sell it myself. But how, and what price, i don't know...If i keep it, nobody will know about it's problem (except me :evil: ) Otherwise this is a massive steel cased, valjoux chrono with date - and with fancy dial. :lol:

Well you can either enjoy it for what it is or put it on eBay as a 'recreation'. As long as you are honest about the fact that it is an assembly of parts with an incorrect redial you shouldn't have a problem.