Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:45 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Hi,

I have inherited my grandfathers Breitling Top Time Chronograph. It's a Top Time with flat pushers and has 18K 0.750 stamped on the back of the case and 2001 stamped below that.

Can anyone tell me more about this watch? I had it professionally serviced and its working perfectly.

Thanks in advance,
Wally

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:06 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Welcome to BreitlingSource.

Is it possible for you to provide photos of the inside of the caseback and the movement - that would help. And welcome to BreitlingSource.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:33 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Hi, thanks for the Welcome. I have always loved Breitlings and glad to finally own one.

Unfortunately I am not equiped to take the back of the case off. I don't want to mess the watch up trying to do it with the wrong tools.

Wally

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:39 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

DrSadowski wrote:
Hi, thanks for the Welcome. I have always loved Breitlings and glad to finally own one.

Unfortunately I am not equiped to take the back of the case off. I don't want to mess the watch up trying to do it with the wrong tools.

Wally

I agree with you on that!

2001 is one of the less common Top Times - let me check my references this evening and see what it says. Most of these had Venus movements, but I'll try and confirm for sure. The Breitling logo is also very high on this one, but don't think it's an issue.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:47 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Well I can't find much on this specific Top Time. It's very similar to the 2000 and my guess is that it's powered by a Venus 188. The serial number will be on the inside of the caseback and I would guess that it's actually from the 1960s.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:49 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

It could be from the 50's or 60's. My GF and GM came through Ellis Island from Germany after being Polish prisoners of war. My GF was a mason and bought a few acres on Long Island. I think he was smart enough or savvy enough to buy the best once he had escaped from the situation he faced during WWII.

I plan to take it in for another maintenance soon (been about 2 years approaching 3) and once it's open I will take detailed pictures of the movement and inside. I can tell you it has a sweeping movement that suggests it is a quality Swiss Made movement at the time.

I greatly appreciate your input. I would like to begin collecting watches as a hobby as I find them to be "timeless" if you will excuse the pun.

Wally

Roffensian wrote:
Well I can't find much on this specific Top Time. It's very similar to the 2000 and my guess is that it's powered by a Venus 188. The serial number will be on the inside of the caseback and I would guess that it's actually from the 1960s.