Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Premier question...
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:50 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 0 post
Did these Premier dials ever come in an "art deco" font? this guy says it's dated 1945 which is a year or two earlier than the ones I've been looking at...

http://cgi.ebay.com/CLASSIC-1945-VINTAG ... 286.c0.m14

looks like a longshot... caseback looks legit... engraving on the bridge looks a bit shaky... your opinions?

Post subject: Re: Premier question...
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:58 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Look at the bottom of the B on the bridge - it touches the upright. That's instant fake.

I've never seen a dial like that, though to be honest I wouldn't be surprised if there was something similar at some point as it is 'of the era'. The case and dial might be correct, but with that bridge don't touch this one with a 10 foot pole.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:07 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Quote:
Look at the bottom of the B on the bridge - it touches the upright. That's instant fake.

Can you please explane me, I dont see any fake. Compare please with my No. 572 in my shop.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:34 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 414 posts
jlee5050 wrote:
Did these Premier dials ever come in an "art deco" font? this guy says it's dated 1945 which is a year or two earlier than the ones I've been looking at...

looks like a longshot... caseback looks legit... engraving on the bridge looks a bit shaky... your opinions?

I've seen a few of the art deco fonts on Breitlings. Nothing unusual about that. This is sorta odd though, "The art deco style dial is original and in excellent condition with no stains or signs of fading." No way would I consider that dial excellent condition. I think it's priced too high too for the condition. As for the bridge engraving, I've come to the conclusion that bridge engraving is really a hit and miss proposition as far as originality. Some bridges are signed and some aren't. I think the engraving on the bridge also depends on who did it and how big a rush they were in at the factory because it's often not consistant. Doesn't mean it's wrong though. I don't really get any serious negative vibes on this one other than condition issues.

Paul

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:46 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
I get the point about 'end of day' or 'Friday afternoon' watches, and the engraving was piece by piece on these, but I'm not sure that would have got through quality control - it's better than we saw from South America until recently, but it's bad for factory.

Completely agree on condition though.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:26 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

I have got same dial on rose gold cadette we discussed a while back .

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:54 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

vintage wrote:
jlee5050 wrote:

I've seen a few of the art deco fonts on Breitlings. Nothing unusual about that. This is sorta odd though, "The art deco style dial is original and in excellent condition with no stains or signs of fading." No way would I consider that dial excellent condition. I think it's priced too high too for the condition. As for the bridge engraving, I've come to the conclusion that bridge engraving is really a hit and miss proposition as far as originality. Some bridges are signed and some aren't. I think the engraving on the bridge also depends on who did it and how big a rush they were in at the factory because it's often not consistant. Doesn't mean it's wrong though. I don't really get any serious negative vibes on this one other than condition issues.

Paul

Hey Paul remember the Premier that we were looking at, and the one I bid on, and the one that GOT AWAY :cry: sold for a bit more than 700 bucks... and I would have to say that one was in worse condition than this one... someone sniped me right at the last second... apparently he was waiting by the computer with his mouse cursor on the confirm bid button ready to shoot... :D Man these Premiers give me a headache...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:42 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Same dial.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.