The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 9:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:29 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
I just bought this watch and upon receiving took a closer look.. this solid gold watch seems light and has minor cracking at the edge of one of the lugs. Is it possible that the lugs would not be solid on a 1940's Breitling? I have been told that it is not abnormal, I am just surprised that the watch does not feel more robust. The seller is very cooperative, very nice and willing to give me a full refund if i am not satisfied, just trying to get a pulse on my new investment. Any thoughts are appreciated. The link to the auction is below.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0337854097

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 3:31 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Not sure if you have read any of the posts in the Vintage thread yet, but if you have then you will know one thing that we always say.

You never, ever, ever, under any circumstances, no matter how good the price, consider buying a 'Breitling' from South America.

More 'Breitlings' have been made in South America in the last few years than you would ever believe - frankenwatches made up of cases and movements from no name watches with stamped dials with the Breitling logo.

This isn't a very good one to be honest - ever wonder why the movement has a different logo than the caseback and dial? Or why the dial looks almost brand new on a watch that's over 60 years old while the rest of the watch looks a little worn?

The hollow lugs are not hugely unusual in watches of this era - especially cheaper models, but this sure as heck isn't a Breitling. If the seller will give you your money back then take it and run.

When you find another piece don't be afraid to ask on here for some thoughts - we're happy to help!

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 4:48 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 19 posts
And its a really ugly fake too! Craig

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 12:28 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

To Mellomitch:

I've told this to somebody before... if you're ever going to buy a Breitling, this is the ONLY place where you can get straight answers and good advice before commiting to an "investment". Everyone here has been good to me and very helpful... not to mention very KNOWLEDGEABLE...

I'm a newbie myself... i stumbled upon this website by chance because I was just very cautious on buying from the Bay...

I would say I'm in a slow learning process myself but eventually you start to train the eye and you will realize too you can pick out the bad seeds...

I hope you get your hard earned money back and I warn you... the vintage market can get addicting... I'm contemplating on my second purchase... and it hasn't been long since my first one...

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 12:55 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

jlee5050 wrote:
To Mellomitch:

I've told this to somebody before... if you're ever going to buy a Breitling, this is the ONLY place where you can get straight answers and good advice before commiting to an "investment". Everyone here has been good to me and very helpful... not to mention very KNOWLEDGEABLE...

I'm a newbie myself... i stumbled upon this website by chance because I was just very cautious on buying from the Bay...

I would say I'm in a slow learning process myself but eventually you start to train the eye and you will realize too you can pick out the bad seeds...

I hope you get your hard earned money back and I warn you... the vintage market can get addicting... I'm contemplating on my second purchase... and it hasn't been long since my first one...

Yeah but pretty soon I'm gonna start making it up so that I don't have to keep paying more for the decent pieces :twisted: :wink:

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 11:49 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Roffensian wrote:
jlee5050 wrote:
To Mellomitch:

Yeah but pretty soon I'm gonna start making it up so that I don't have to keep paying more for the decent pieces :twisted: :wink:

LOL... It's okay then... I'll just consult with br549 or driver8 or chronodeco or some of the other many people... LOL

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 5:04 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 414 posts
It must also be noted that South American and Eastern Europeans are now using addresses in the US to hide the fact where these pieces are originating overseas. They're catching on. I suspect a couple of sellers in the New York area but there's a lot in Florida. In addition, more of these frankenwatches are also being resold by US buyers that have realized their mistakes and are trying to cut their losses. Like they used to say on the old TV show Hill Street Blues, "Lets be careful out there."

Paul

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 6:36 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

vintage wrote:
It must also be noted that South American and Eastern Europeans are now using addresses in the US to hide the fact where these pieces are originating overseas. They're catching on. I suspect a couple of sellers in the New York area but there's a lot in Florida. In addition, more of these frankenwatches are also being resold by US buyers that have realized their mistakes and are trying to cut their losses. Like they used to say on the old TV show Hill Street Blues, "Lets be careful out there."

Paul

+1

And while I'm not in the US, from what I hear of some of the NAWCC events there are a lot of reputable dealers who have been duped by these pieces and are now selling them (either inadvertently or not!).