The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Mon Jun 03, 2024 6:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:21 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 0 post
40 minutes to the final

what do you think, 7100,- is the final price ? Or goes it closed to 10.000,- $ ?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:29 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Well, it's done at 7100... not too shabby... maybe would've gone higher if the economy was better?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:55 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
That's still very good money in this economy - getting close to rattrapante money for a less well known piece.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:17 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 414 posts
Wow, I underestimated what that would sell for! I guess if you want one bad enough the sky is the limit.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:04 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Quote:
That's still very good money in this economy - getting close to rattrapante money for a less well known piece.

7100,- US $ for a Breitling rattrapante ? Please brimg me 10 for this money and I will come and kiss your feet every day.

You forget that the dollar lose the worth every day. 7100,- $ are 4900,- Euro, its nothing for us. Your thinking is to the past time, you must think for the future, such watchs goes in some years real through the sky, lets do a contest.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:05 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

breitlingmuseum wrote:
you must think for the future, such watches goes in some years real through the sky, lets do a contest.

Well, you are doing your best to make sure that occurs, Michael. :wink:
Best,
T.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:06 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 72 posts
tomvox1 wrote:
breitlingmuseum wrote:
you must think for the future, such watches goes in some years real through the sky, lets do a contest.

Best,
T.

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:11 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Quote:
Best,
T.

And you will see, I am right.

The Breitling prices are a joke, when you compare with the price for a Rolex Paul Newman or J.Claude Killy.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:16 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

breitlingmuseum wrote:
Quote:
Best,
T.

And you will see, I am right.

The Breitling prices are a joke, when you compare with the price for a Rolex Paul Newman or J.Claude Killy.

I don't disagree that Vintage Breitling's are undervalued...but Rolex is Rolex so I am not so sure your comparison is an apt one. As we can see when a rare piece like a digital AVI comes to market, the price is quite strong and maybe it has room to go upward. But it will probably never get up to Daytona $, much less PN Daytona money. The fact that one's a Valjoux 72 and one's a modified Venus 178 is the least of the important factors. In the vintage watch world there is Patek then there is Rolex and every other brand after that is a level down in value in general.

In the end, rarity is not the same as value, which is in the eye of the beholder and determined by the market, not solely by enthusiasm for the brand. Enthusiasts have been saying exactly what you've said about Vintage Breitling about many other great brands--Omega, Longines, IWC, etc--but in the end Patek & Rolex always wind up setting the pace, even if the other marques rise along with them.
Just my 2¢ & best regards,
T.

P.S. One more thought: One can still swim and bang around with an old Rolex Oyster, even a screw down PN. One has to take most Vintage Breitlings off when doing the dishes. A small factor but not an unimportant one, IMO, for those who like to wear their Vintage Watches. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:59 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Hmmm…

Controversy!

My comment is that just because PN Daytonas fetch stupid prices by virtue of them being a cult object doesn’t mean that vintage Breitling chronographs should likewise achieve prices which defy common sense.

Why on earth anyone would contemplate doing the dishes whilst wearing any fine timepiece is beyond me.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:55 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

I don't think I'll ever do the dishes with a Newman Daytona on... much less a regular Daytona... :lol:

Unless I had my beater 90's Tag Professional on... now that watch is a tank~!

But sadly I've noticed even for a semi-noob like me that always in the end... Patek and Rolex do have the best resale values... and I only say "sadly" because I love vintage Breitlings... :D :lingsrock:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:03 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
I find this whole discussion about what prices 'should' be rather pointless to be honest. PPs and Rolex command more value for one simple reason - people are prepared to pay more. With these pieces the market will always decide.

I have a certain budget for luxury items like watches, and I for one am happy that Breitlings aren't more expensive, it means I can buy more for the same money than if I were buying PPs. Will I feel differently if I come to sell, maybe, but that's not why I buy watches - they make a lousy investment so my investment money goes elsewhere.

If I pay $1,000 for something that makes me happy for 10 years and then sell it for $1,000 that's worth it to me, even though the 'real' value of that $1,000 has decreased.

In my experience people who think that the market price of something (watch, car, house, etc) is too cheap are trying to sell, and those who think that same item is too expensive are trying to buy!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:13 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

How come you guys don't mention Vacheron Constantin when talking about Vintage watches?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:11 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Carlos wrote:

Why on earth anyone would contemplate doing the dishes whilst wearing any fine timepiece is beyond me.

OK, how about walking in the rain then? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Best,
T.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:22 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Hi tomvox my friend,

Quote:
One can still swim and bang around with an old Rolex Oyster,

Only an "idiot" would go swimming with a 100.000 Dollars vintage. When I see it, I will slap him. :) :)

regards
Michael M:

Quote:
The fact that one's a Valjoux 72 and one's a modified Venus 178 is the least of the important factors. In the vintage watch world there is Patek then there is Rolex and every other brand after that is a level down in value in general.

In the end, rarity is not the same as value, which is in the eye of the beholder and determined by the market, not solely by enthusiasm for the brand. Enthusiasts have been saying exactly what you've said about Vintage Breitling about many other great brands--Omega, Longines, IWC, etc--but in the end Patek & Rolex always wind up setting the pace, even if the other marques rise along with them.

You can not simply extrapolate the past into the future.

These errors have made the banks in the U.S. real estate. The prices have risen in the past, so you will continue to rise. You see, yes, which has led to the disaster.

Rolex and Patek have risen so, because some speculators had manipulated at Antiquorum, Christie and Co., the prices. But the limit is reached.
You can use it to burn just money.

Breitling has built technically sophisticated watches, they are just not as well known. But that will change soon. And as you'll see what happens.

Last edited by breitlingmuseum on Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next