It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Depression
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:12 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 168 posts
Hello friends,

I'd like to ask a pretty serious question.

I'm struggling with pretty serious depression right now. I've lost 2 friends recently to suicide, both seemingly happy men.

The thought of doing the very same thing has occurred to me too, from time to time, despite being a gently successful business man, and husband.

I have managed to get a very comfortable life after a really quite less than favourable upbringing.

Do any of you guy's get down? Despite the luxury and obvious wealth we have to indulge in this expensive hobby of watch collecting.

I've taken steps to get better, it's kinda tough, but it's a subject that is not discussed enough.

I'm not better yet, but am getting there.

If you are, like me, struggling with life, please get help. Don't jump and leave those close too you wishing they had a retrospective net.

Davey.

Post subject: Re: Depression
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:25 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1727 posts
Not knowing you personally, Davey, I think that you've taken the most important steps to get better - admitting to need help and getting professional support means you are starting to rebuild the foundations of your life. My best wishes, Fred.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:08 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
davey, keep at it with the help. i think all professionals go through depression at some level and/or some point in their lives. key is to talk about it with friends/family and stay in therapy.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:48 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Can't really add anything to what Fred says. Don't be afraid to lean on your friends and family for support Davey, I can't offer any practical advice, but you never have to be alone to deal with life!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:23 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Hey Davey - I have some practical experience of depression as my ex-girlfriend suffered (and still suffers) from it for many years. Unfortunately it's a very misunderstood condition and many non-sufferers, and those who have never encountered it personally, seem to think that curing it is simply a case of "pulling yourself together" or "cheering yourself up". The truth, of course, is nothing like that and (as you say) it's undoubtedly something best dealt with via professional help, and with the unquestioning and unswerving loyalty and support of friends and family. Like many things in life, the road to recovery begins by firstly admitting that there's a problem, and then having the force of will to stand up and say that you're going to do something about it.

I really wish you all the best Davey, but I have no doubt you'll beat it. Just make sure you keep using every possible avenue available to you. And never, ever give up.

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:41 pm 
All Roads lead to Breitling

Liked in: 33 posts
I'm sorry you are suffering, but pleased you have recognized a problem, admitted it, and sought help. That's huge. While your journey may be difficult now, many never take that first step, so there is hope for you.

While I have never suffered from depression per se, I am a recovered alcoholic with many years of sobriety. Admitting I had a problem was the hardest part. Asking for and accepting help was nearly as hard. And everything didn't get " ok" over night - it took time. But now, and for a long time, I have been able to look back at those difficult days as part of the healing process.

I don't know much, but I know this without a doubt - successful careers, prestige, money and stuff are not sources of true contentment.

It's sounds like you have embarked on a journey. It can help to see it that way. Some days are smooth driving and some days you get a flat tire. The key is not thinking the flat is the end of the line.

Thank you for your openness.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:29 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 168 posts
I am in trouble

But with these replies,

I know I am not alone.

Thank you all for sharing.

D

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:50 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 1 post
My wife has suffered with the condition and I'm very pleased to say she has come out the other side a better person, with a new lust for life and more perspective on things.
You WILL get over this if you want to Davey, you've taken the most difficult step as others have said, now rely on friends and family to support and help and things WILL improve.

All the best

Jim

Rolex milgauss GV
Olivant and Botsford 40mm Gold edition

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:56 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 9 posts
For starters; I think it is a very good thing you try to talk about it.
People who don't do that, usually already made up their mind and it's impossible to help someone, if no one is aware that there is a problem.

I've lost two friends due to suicides.
In their cases the reason was Obvious; they both had a ended relationship and couldn't live with the situation they were in.
Instead of giving it time and talk with people about it, they just ended their lifes.

When I was young, I've been in the same situation; an ended relationship and for me my whole world was destroyed.
In a brief and weak moment, I had also suicide thoughts.
However I had people around me of which I knew I would cause them a lot of grief and pain, and they would bare my act with them, the rest of their lifes, so I just couldn't do it.

If you are in such a situation, you need to give it time and seek help (talk with close friends, family, or pro's).
There is something wrong in your present life, if there isn't, you wouldn't be in a depression.
Some things can't be fixed and just need time to get over the worst part (ended relations, people passing away, etc.).
Other things can be fixed; try to find out what is wrong in your life and do something about it.

Either way; give it time and keep talking.
The time will come, that you will see the bright side of life again.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:37 am 

Liked in: 33 posts
Frans, remember there are two broad categories of depression - situational (caused by life stressors/trauma) and clinical (unrelated to any triggering event). Medically both can be treated the same, but psychologically the focus in therapy is different. It is wrong to imply depression means something is wrong, find it, and you are better. Depression involves imbalance in the brain chemistry, which is medically adjusted over time. Many people suffer from depression without triggering psycho-social factors. A close friend of mine fits that bill. But in the hands of a skilled psychiatrist who recognized administering depression medication(s) is more art than science, my friend today is not plagued by debilitating depression.

I can't speak for the UK, but in the US most administration of psychotropic drugs is done wantonly. Family doctors should not be the treating doctors in these cases. They lean towards prescribing the drug de jure, or whatever samples they have in supply, and that's it. As a result, many suffer needlessly. We have a wealth of medications now, which is wonderful. In the hands of a skilled practitioner who follows the patient regularly over 6-12 months, altering dosages, perhaps adding another medication, etc... full recovery is probable. That's the good news.

I am passionate about this because it hits home for me - my daughter went through a two year bout of battling depression. It was a hard time for her and incredibly scary for me. The first doctor she saw fell into the "take this and you will be better, now off you go and have a good life" category. It created false hope in her and as a father watching on, nearly helplessly, I was livid. Of course she didn't get better! Eventually, we came to an agreement on a different course and found a psychiatrist who understood the "art" of prescribing depression medications as well as a therapist to address the non-medical side. Once properly addressed, she was fine in less than a year. After two years she was weaned of all medications. Today, thank God, she is healthy and happy.

Last edited by sharkman on Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:48 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1727 posts
Frans wrote:
There is something wrong in your present life, if there isn't, you wouldn't be in a depression.

that, Frans, shows a rather widespread but very basic misunderstanding of the nature of MDD. We know nothing about Davey's life, neither past nor present - and depression is totally independent of "right" or "wrong" "somethings", though they do act as triggers, of course.

Let's remain at what we can do - assure Davey of our sympathy and support - and leave the treatment and advice to the professionals ?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:13 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 9 posts
I've been in the same situation and had as well as medical as physical help.
A depression is caused by events in your life;
http://www.beyondblue.org.au/the-facts/ ... depression
For me the medicins helped me to "give it time", the physical help (talking about issues in my life) helped me get through it.
The talk was the most important part of my healing process and that's why I say "keep talking".

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:42 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
No Frans, some depression is caused by events in your life.

At times this forum has a problem with people who have no idea what they are talking about offering inaccurate opinions as facts. That is not something that can be tolerated in this thread.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:18 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 62 posts
Let's move back a bit to Davey here.

Davey, at least to my understanding, I have not battled depression. I may have at some time in a mild form, and perhaps many of us have. I can't compare your path to mine. But obviously you are disturbed by the loss of your friends. That, it would seem to me, is a very healthy reaction, as you clearly understand that there is a better way to deal with life's challenges .

You also obviously felt the need to reach out yesterday. I think that's also quite healthy. The fact that you were willing to do it here seems on one hand a compliment of sorts, but I think it is far more importantly a sign of your willingness, generally, to reach out if you feel uncertain of something at that moment. Again, this would seem to be completely positive.

The fact that we spent some time above debating clinical causes perhaps illustrates a point I think you wanted to make. Some of us understand personal experiences and some of us have read on the subject, but largely depression, and particularly suicide, are issues society does not like to contemplate. Further, while diagnoses exist and there are some common patterns of onset, depression and its causes are very personal in nature. The reasons why can be as different as the makeup and chemistry of each of our individual bodies, the brain being the most complex part.

What I know, responding to your question, is that depression does not discriminate based on wealth. I suppose it could be an interesting question relative to the behavior known as collecting things. We all are enthused, thrilled even, to acquire new pieces here, to see new pieces. Sometimes members sell, because of unhappy personal or economic issues. Still, end of the day, they are just timepieces, wonderful timepieces for certain, but still just that. Symbols we may artificially place on them are nothing more than artificial placements. They are fun things, but still things.

I applaud your message that if others don't feel right, check it out with a medical professional. I also applaud you for 1. acknowledging your challenge, in writing, in a moment of perhaps some distress, 2. recognizing you are still struggling BUT working on it, and continuing to do so.

You are never alone.

My best wishes to you on your continued path to recovery.

AP Royal Oak 15400, silver
Zenith Chronomaster El Primero Classic Cars
Vintage gold Corum
Rolex DJ 36 TT, oyster dial, oyster/smooth
Baume & Mercier Riviera 200m, silver dial/aquamarine bezel
Breitling Superocean 57, rose/stainless

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:18 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 62 posts
Sorry, did a double-click there.