The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:51 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
As I have said on here a few times my father was a navigator in Lancasters for the RAF during WWII. I try not to make too big a deal of it publicly, partly because it is personal, and partly because I don't want to offend - let's face it, a lot of people suffered at the hands of the RAF and other allied forces. However, it is something that I am immensely proud of and the way that the men (and women) of Bomber Command were treated by Churchill at the end of the war was disgraceful. My father died in February 2012 and never saw the Bomber Command Memorial that was finally erected in their honour, and never got to receive the campaign medal that the British government has finally seen fit to award.

During his latter years I wanted to buy my father an example of the limited edition Breitling Chronomat that was issued to commemorate the 60th anniversary of the Lancaster in 2002. There were only 60 produced and the only one I found that might have been available was in Germany and we couldn't make a deal. After my father passed away I obviously thought about getting an example for myself, and a few months later a member here signed up with one to sell. It seemed fortuitous but his asking price was a long way away from what I considered to be reasonable so no sale. That should have been the end of the matter - a failed transaction that is no different to the ones that happen here every day. However, the seller wouldn't let it go - apparently he sold the watch but continued to PM me frequently and when I didn't respond he started commenting on sales threads completely unconnected to him where I had moderated the thread, as well as reporting my posts telling me to "Get a life" (somewhat ironic really).

All that is a long way to saying that it put me off the whole idea of getting the watch - I don't need an object to remember my father, but anything that I did have needed to be just that, something that would allow me to remember him fondly, not something that would make me think of a rather petty individual disappointed that I wouldn't pay his asking price for a watch. So I decided to do something completely different instead, I forgot the idea of getting the watch and commissioned a metal sculptor that we had bought some pieces from previously to make me a Lancaster model. Well today I got to see some 'in progress' pictures for the first time. It'll be another month before the full piece is delivered and I'll provide some of my own awesome (!) photography then, but so far I am pretty sure that I made the right decision.

The plane is 1/32 scale so wingspan is approximately 38 inches.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:02 pm 
Contributing Connoisseur
Contributing Connoisseur

Liked in: 1005 posts
Very cool, and I'm sure that the scale model will come out great. Definitely a fitting tribute to your father. He would be happy and proud.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:18 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1727 posts
a wonderful, truly unique memento. as you say, no needs for objects to remember our fathers, they remain close friends and we hear and heed their advice years after they've passed away, but I am sure your father would love that plane.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:15 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
WatchFred wrote:
a wonderful, truly unique memento. as you say, no needs for objects to remember our fathers, they remain close friends and we hear and heed their advice years after they've passed away, but I am sure your father would love that plane.

:yeahthat I couldn't have said it better myself.

Looks like it will be a fantastic model Roff. Is it going to be painted up, or is it going to be left with the natural metal finish?

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:41 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 408 posts
Fred summed it up perfectly. That's a beautiful model by the way!

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:45 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Driver8 wrote:
Looks like it will be a fantastic model Roff. Is it going to be painted up, or is it going to be left with the natural metal finish?

Still working on the finishing details. It won't be painted but the sculptor knows an enameller and we might try to put squadron and plane markings on it. The enameller is also going to do a plaque (which we might do in the style of a gate board similar to what would have stood at the entrance to the field) with the squadron on it (my father flew with 61 Squadron).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:26 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 0 post
Awesome. Nice tribute Roff!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:23 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 809 posts
That's brilliant. Things like this spark memories of our Fathers, don't they? You walk past and stop and think back. It's lovely.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:00 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1 post
Very very cool Rof!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:50 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 1 post
A very nice tribute to one of the very brave men of bomber command did any one see the program on BBC TV with the McGregor brothers flying in the last air worthy Lancaster Bomber really good watch.

Kind regards

Walter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:55 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

walter whatrton wrote:
did any one see the program on BBC TV with the McGregor brothers flying in the last air worthy Lancaster Bomber really good watch.

Yep, a great program, and nice to shine a light on what happened with Bomber Command at the end of the war - something that so many people don't know about.

I'm really looking forward to getting the completed piece, the sculptor actually lives fairly close to the home of the Canadian Lancaster (which is also still airworthy) and was able to go and visit to get inspiration.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:40 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Final version was delivered yesterday. Even with my photo skills I think that it speaks for itself.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:04 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1727 posts
it does. well done.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:05 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 1719 posts
Wow -- that is just fantastic. A wonderful idea, and an amazing final product. I'm sure it will be very meaningful to you as a remembrance of your father.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:24 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 9 posts
Wow, very nice.

My deepest respect, for the person who made this.