The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 10:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:45 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 47 posts
Might seem like a strange question for a watch forum, but a lot of you seem like the target demographic of how to say....less than normal vacations. :?

I'm going on a 10 day sailing vacation. Just me and my wife and the husband/wife team that plays Captain/Cook of a 73 foot wooden schooner. They own the boat, run it, provide everything the entire trip. I am curious if anyone else has done a charter of boat with captain and crew not a bare boat sailing rental. I am wondering if tipping is expected or the norm? I have been on a couple of deep sea fishing charters and the captain is pretty up front that the mate rigging your lines and managing the poles does not make much and to please tip generously if you are happy with the service...and that seems typical. I have also been on a 10 day rafting trip down the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon where the guides were very up front almost demanding of a sizable tip at the end of the trip. That took me a bit off guard, but then I realized I was paying a lot of money to the outfitter company and the guides not owing the company probably did not get much in the way of pay.

This trip, at least to me, seems a lot different. It is quite expensive (at least to me) and all of the money goes directly to the owner/operators. Obviously they have expenses and I have zero problem with people making a profit, even a large profit. However, it does not really seem to me like the type of situation where at the end of the trip I should be handing over a fist full of $100s. Still I have no real idea of what is right or wrong, typical atypical.

Anyone ever done such a trip or know someone that has? Anyone done something similar? Seem sort of weird on some level that I will be hanging out and living in this couples "house" for over a week just the 4 of us. Hope they like Rum and watches!

Don't want to come off as the douche bag American with a multi-thousand dollar watch that stiffs the working man :wink: advice and experience appreciated.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:12 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1 post
I've chartered a sailboat, but only for a day trip. Captain let my then-10-years-old daughter pilot the sailboat on the way back & she had a blast! So I tip generously :D...

I think there are very few places in the world where tipping is frowned upon. Everywhere else it's very much appreciated I'm sure. Having said that, since the operators are owners of the boat, the tip does not need to be too substantial methinks... more like an "I appreciate your service" (assuming you did at the end of the trip)...

Have fun!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:15 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 72 posts
If there will be no extra skipper and the sailing boat is in their property, I don't think that there should be a massive bill.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:17 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 47 posts
I was thinking something at the end to say thanks maybe $300-500, but I am reading things online that say 10% says you did something wrong, 15% is customary and 20% if you had great service. These seem to be industry postings that make me think not so legit; more like they wish this was the custom. Also a lot talk about brokers getting captains to sail a boat and captains getting crew(s). They all try to keep the price down and don't make a living with out generous "tips". Obviously not the situation here. Only the husband and wife, they own it and it is their only occupation. It seems to me like they would set a price that they can make a living doing a job they like. I am in business for myself and I don't expect the companies I do business with to give me any extra at the end of a job.

This is pretty darn expensive and the idea of a sort of "mandatory tip" never entered my mind. If I had to add 20% to the cost of this I probably would not have booked it. Sort of feel awkward here. Don't really know what is expected/normal. I typically leave the maid in a hotel room a few bucks, but I don't give her 20% of the room rate :shock: An additional couple of thousand at then end of this trip would surely eat in to my future watch fund :wink:

Not at all trying to be cheap here just wondering if anyone else has had this sort of situation. Figured this was a pretty likely place to ask. Surprised at the lack of response. Thanks for the posts above.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:32 pm 
Wild Ling, You Make my Heart Sing!
Wild Ling, You Make my Heart Sing!

Liked in: 0 post
Call them as a "different" prospective client and ask what the deal is.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:11 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1 post
$300 seemed plenty to me.