Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 3:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: BBC Coverage of Olympics
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:11 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 17 posts
This is probably going to upset the Brits, but I'm really disappointed by the BBC coverage of the Olympics. I get that it's your home Olympics and all, but it would be really nice if the BBC would actually talk about other teams besides Britain. I was just watching the gymnastics and one team got an insanely high score on one of the events, but it just got a mention in the scorecard on the bottom of the screen. The announcers didn't even talk about it. Instead, the camera and announcers were focused on the British team giving each other man love.

Also, there have been several other events where Britain has done mediocre and the announcers just go on about how amazing the performance was and how awesome Britain is. I don't recall the coverage of the Olympics in the US to be nearly as "home-centric" as I've observed in Britain. It's getting to the point where I don't even want to watch it anymore.

Rant over . . .

Navitimer 01- Limited Edition #1337/2000

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:29 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Part of it may be a foreigner's perception. Can't comment specifically on the BBC coverage as I haven't seen any of it, but can easily believe that it is 'less than objective', but interesting that you feel that the US bias of US networks is less. Here in Canada where the US networks are available the US coverage is frequently seen as ignoring anything non US, while we like to think of our Canadian coverage as balanced. It likely isn't but the bias is less noticeable because the bias in aligned with our level of interest.

If that makes any sense at all.........

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:35 pm 
Cult of Breitling Leader
Cult of Breitling Leader

Liked in: 4 posts
I do not think that it has to do with BBC. It is called chauvinism. And the Brits are way far behind the French who are World Champions at that.

And, to say the truth, what would think if NBC was talking about other athletes and "ignoring" US athletes if the didn't do as well ?

- This is Ghost Rider requesting a fly-by. - Negative Ghost Rider. The pattern is full.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:52 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

No, it's definitely the BBC. The announcers who cover the event actually root on Britain during the competitions. It's entirely out of line. I don't care if they want to rah-rah during the morning news, but for Christ's sake, keep it to yourself during the event. It's just unprofessional the way the BBC commentators conduct themselves. The gymnastics today made me sick. The gold medal winners got almost no coverage.

NBC is not this biased during the events.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:21 pm 
Cult of Breitling Leader
Cult of Breitling Leader

It was just an example, I do not have NBC shares. :)

But I fully understand you, because I'm telling you, nothing can be worse than French chauvinism. I live it every day.

For example, during Sunday's F1 Grand Prix, they were mostly commenting French pilots who were running beyond the 16th place on 24. Just barely Hamilton. And of course every car that had a French engine.

- This is Ghost Rider requesting a fly-by. - Negative Ghost Rider. The pattern is full.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:31 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Your situation is probably worse. I do get to hear a lot about Hamilton; they love that guy in the UK. Apparently they haven't figured out that he whines like a little girl. In any case, I'm sure your French commentators loved Raikkonen and Grosjean last weekend. I will say that I haven't heard Charles Pic's name mentioned once on Sky Sports.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:40 pm 
Cult of Breitling Leader
Cult of Breitling Leader

bozman52 wrote:
I will say that I haven't heard Charles Pic's name mentioned once on Sky Sports.

:lol:

Just tune in on TF1 or Eurosport in French.

As for Grosjean, he is actually Swiss (born and raised in Geneva) but chose to run with a French licence. You guess the rest.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:28 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Not wholly surprising considering it's called the BRITISH Broadcasting Corporation, entirely paid for by the British public..... :wink:

Personally I think the coverage is great, and also not too biased, but that's just me. Of course there's going to be GB slant because the BBC's coverage is primarily made for the British public.

I've seen FAR more biased coverage of sporting events in other countries, but when I do it doesn't bother me because I know I'm not the intended audience.

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:47 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Driver8 wrote:
Not wholly surprising considering it's called the BRITISH Broadcasting Corporation, entirely paid for by the British public..... :wink:

Personally I think the coverage is great, and also not too biased, but that's just me. Of course there's going to be GB slant because the BBC's coverage is primarily made for the British public.

I've seen FAR more biased coverage of sporting events in other countries, but when I do it doesn't bother me because I know I'm not the intended audience.

Driver, point taken about the "British" part. The coverage of the games is incredible; there's literally a channel for every event, which is unheard of in the US. However, the commentary is severely one sided, in my opinion. The men's gymnastics last night put me over the edge. The constant gushing over the British team and literal stream of consciousness cheering on by the commentators was sickening, especially considering the 6th place finish. This happened again during one of the women's swimming events where Hannah Miley finished 5th, but 90% of the conversation revolved around her.

I expect the BBC to want the British athletes to win, but I also expect these feelings to be much more nuanced. Save the gushing for the talk shows or evening news. I expect commentators to talk about the athletes who win, irrespective of the country or origin. Perhaps my feeling of the US commentators being less biased stems from the fact that the US oftentimes gets on the podium.

However, I do want to reiterate that the BBC's sheer event coverage is second to none. I'm able to watch entire sporting events, start to finish, that I didn't even know existed in the Olympics- i.e. table tennis, handball, field hockey. I've never seen these events ever mentioned in any US coverage of the Olympics.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:17 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
bozman52 wrote:
The men's gymnastics last night put me over the edge. The constant gushing over the British team and literal stream of consciousness cheering on by the commentators was sickening, especially considering the 6th place finish. This happened again during one of the women's swimming events where Hannah Miley finished 5th, but 90% of the conversation revolved around her.

I expect the BBC to want the British athletes to win, but I also expect these feelings to be much more nuanced. Save the gushing for the talk shows or evening news. I expect commentators to talk about the athletes who win, irrespective of the country or origin. Perhaps my feeling of the US commentators being less biased stems from the fact that the US oftentimes gets on the podium.

I actually do agree with you about the commentators often seriously gushing over our 5th, 6th or 7th placers, Bozman, but I also think it's probably a difficult one for the Beeb (and any other commentary team) to get exactly right. If they concentrate solely on the winners, then the British guys and girls would hardly get a mention in these Olympics the way things are currently going with the medals! :wink: Likewise, too much gushing over also-rans isn't great either. Difficult call to get spot on I guess...., but for me I don't find it too bad.

Interesting to hear how it comes across from a "non-UK native's" point of view though. :thumbsup:

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:18 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 168 posts
Ahhh who cares.

We all love our fellow countrymen. It's hard not to enjoy the olympics in such great visual splendour, the best coverage ever, in 4 years it's likely to be all in 3D...if Brazil spends some money on technology in the meantime.

I loved our crowd getting totally behind the Japanese Boxer last night and indeed the decision reversed. We, here, support sport, the trying, the hard journey, and the ability to win and lose with grace.

One nice lady cyclist who along with her partner messed up today simply stated...hey. We messed up, nobody is to blame. Oops.

Now if we were to get really picky.....

The NFL.......HOW can any team, however good, can claim to be World Champions....when the league is only played between teams within the union...

Baseball! Invite a few Japanese teams in, much like the Stanley Cup and Canada in Ice Hockey? I was in Boston when the Bruins won last year.....I remember some of it cos I got a bit drunk with some loud happy guys...

I am a supporter of the Dolphins, but joined after the epic unbeaten season....I never knew about that when I chose them. Last few years they are less than wonderful..

http://www.profootballhof.com/history/g ... pions.aspx

So if our guys are bit biased....good.

The BBC have shown the world, yet again, how broadcasting should be undertaken. No f***ing idiot delays in the game for advertising and letting athletes at their peak sit around losing intensity and indeed getting cold and more likely to get injured so that Coca Cola or Budweiser get a commercial shown, paying millions of dollars to the network...

And NBC are showing the results before showing the game/trial/event just to please or indeed frustrate true fans. And now for the news....for those of you who don't need our impressive forethought.

I particularly like the way that in the USA you know that as soon as a programme has started and the opening credits have finished you can get up, go get a snack.....oh bugger I just got comfy....

British TV is the benchmark for all to follow.

Although I do like the camera work on Golf in the USA. I know the great cameramen are booked up years in advance. Majestic skills. You have my respect chaps. None finer.

D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:35 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Damnfoolman wrote:
British TV is the benchmark for all to follow.

I hope there was some British sarcasm laced in this statement. Half of the programming on my TV here in the UK is from America. I can promise you that I've rarely seen a British show on American TV.

In any case, that was quite a post, albeit slightly off topic. Good on you for being a Dolphins fan. I like the Seahawks myself, so I know how hard it can be to root for a crappy team. In any case, My issue is not with the BBC's physical coverage of the Olympics. Quite the contrary, it's far superior to anything I've ever seen. However, I'm not sure if the BBC covers all Olympics like this or if this is special coverage simply because the games are at home.

What I do have an issue with is the one-sided commentary that occurs during the events. My personal feeling is that it should be more neutral. I'm well aware that the commentators with British accents want the British athletes to win; I don't need them to root them on in a stream of consciousness manner.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:08 am 
Cult of Breitling Leader
Cult of Breitling Leader

Damnfoolman wrote:
The BBC have shown the world, yet again, how broadcasting should be undertaken. No f***ing idiot delays in the game for advertising and letting athletes at their peak sit around losing intensity and indeed getting cold and more likely to get injured so that Coca Cola or Budweiser get a commercial shown, paying millions of dollars to the network...

And NBC are showing the results before showing the game/trial/event just to please or indeed frustrate true fans. And now for the news....for those of you who don't need our impressive forethought.

I particularly like the way that in the USA you know that as soon as a programme has started and the opening credits have finished you can get up, go get a snack.....oh bugger I just got comfy....

You're absolutely right on this one Davey. It is really unbearable, unless if you're used to it.

Thing is, MONEY RULES. And if you're paying, I guess you're entitled to impose your will. Problem is, the American Broadcasting are imposing their will all over the planet since they are paying for the major part of the TV rights.

For example, during the Ice Hockey World Championships, a delay is imposed on the game at least once per period for the American stations to play their advertising. Pretty annoying, although it might suit some teams as they get some extra time-outs.

And why do you think the Olympic Games ceremony started so late ? So, that it could coincide (or be the nearest possible) with prime time in America. Who cares if the athletes went to bed after 3 a.m., right ?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:20 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 168 posts
Hi again!

Re the athletes getting to bed late, I know quite a few athletes due to my job, one in particular, Steve Smith, now retired but still our greatest High Jumper, did attend the opening ceremony in Barcelona.. and got tired during it. in Barcelona, he failed miserably. He then went to Atlanta, decided the opening ceremony could in no way assist him in his goal for a medal. So he just did his normal training day instead.

He broke the British Record and got Bronze.

He actually talks about this decision during his motivational speeches. He's a great chap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_x2PTuP2PnA

D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:23 am 
Cult of Breitling Leader
Cult of Breitling Leader

Damnfoolman wrote:
Hi again!

Re the athletes getting to bed late, I know quite a few athletes due to my job, one in particular, Steve Smith, now retired but still our greatest High Jumper, did attend the opening ceremony in Barcelona.. and got tired during it. in Barcelona, he failed miserably. He then went to Atlanta, decided the opening ceremony could in no way assist him in his goal for a medal. So he just did his normal training day instead.

He broke the British Record and got Bronze.

He actually talks about this decision during his motivational speeches. He's a great chap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_x2PTuP2PnA

D

:thumbsup: :brit

Guess I'm not so narrowminded after all then.