Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 9:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Ireland Advice Needed
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:36 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 47 posts
Not so much watch specific, but I'll take that too. I am heading to Ireland for 9 or 10 days. Have 3 nights in Dublin lined up already after that the wife and I are getting a car and hitting the open road. We don't have any reservations yet. Hear nice things about Kinsale so will hit that up for sure. Beyond that looking to just see the country and not have any specific plans. The only things I really want to do is spend one night in a castle...not sure why, just want to, and rent a bike for part of one day to ride in the countryside.

I have never been before. Neither has the wife. She grew up in a small Pa. city called Avoca and she wants to go the "Avoca" in Ireland.

So where should I go and where should I avoid? We are of the mindset that if we find a place we like we might stay more than a day. If we don't dig it we will have lunch and move one. I'm guessing there won't be much we don't like.

Castle and bike advice welcome along with anything else. Don't want to be super-tourists (I could not care less if I kiss the blarney stone) looking for something off the beaten path a bit or neat local gems.

Also looking for advice on a mobile phone for minimal use. I am leaning toward picking up a cheap quad band world phone and getting a pre paid SIM card when I arrive. Any down side to that? I have not traveled to europe since pre Internet/Cell phone days.

Thanks!

Oh any advice on where my wife could meet Larry Mullen, Jr? If I could pull that off I could buy 10 watches before the trip ends :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:40 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 24 posts
Let me think about it so leave it with me. . . . When are you comming?

Regards Mullen, try Nice, southern France!

:lingsrock:

A Few Breitlings.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:09 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 47 posts
breanach78 wrote:
Let me think about it so leave it with me. . . . When are you comming?

Regards Mullen, try Nice, southern France!

:lingsrock:

Farily soon, before the snow flies...prior to October, sorry don't want to post dates I will be out of my house. Not very likely, but you never know who is lurking out there.

Any and all suggestions appreciated. Two couples mid-40s no kids. Wondering how the driving will be. We did rent an automatic. Do you think any issues without reservations for B&Bs? Got a line on a good castle for one night? How long in real driving time would it take to get from Shannon to Dublin? We (two couples) are flying out from both Shannon and Dublin.

Many thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:57 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 2 posts
I can only recommend going on a houseboat on the Shannon or Erne. That is one of the best things, Ireland can offer (besides beer, single malt whisky, horses, fishing...)

BG
Thomas