Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 1:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: samsung galaxy s3
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:12 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 49 posts
ok let me first start by saying that i am a iphone user. to be exact im a new iphone convert. i was a Crackberry addict for over 7 years and came to realize that there was more to life than pin and BBM. since the switch i do really enjoy using the iphone however i no longer feel loyal to any brand or manufacturer.

on tv the other day i saw a commercial for the new samsung galaxy s3 and was really intrigued. then going to the store and actually playing with it made me a believer. what a telephone, this thing makes the iphone 4s look like childs play. im sure apple will come up with something that will rival or top the galaxy s3 but for now it looks to be the new phone to have.

does anyone on here have a galaxy s3 and if so did you make the switch from an iphone?

Post subject: Re: samsung galaxy s3
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:55 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 20 posts
I was looking at my coworker's today and it's a very impressive phone. Amazing photos, very thing, and great applications. I love m iPhone but that galaxy is quite impressive, a bit wide though.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:30 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 0 post
I was a loyal BlackBerry user for about 7 years as well and jumped ship to the iPhone last year.

I'm still not sold on android phones, mostly because of battery life. Every single android user I know is only partially satisfied with the ability of their phone to maintain power.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:13 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

I was playing with a clients earlier today....pretty awesome. I have a Galaxy Nexus and it wasn't enough to jump ship, but if I had an upgrade to burn I'd definitely opt for it.

Fyi- Just got my preorder Nexus 7 in with Android Jelly Bean and IMO it's the best bang for your buck in the geek-tech world right now.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:45 pm 
All Roads lead to Breitling
All Roads lead to Breitling

Liked in: 33 posts
Ok as I'm reading this a TV commercial for the Samsung came on. Hmmm. I too was a long time BB guy and made a side trip to a Droid for about one year. iPhones since then. I've played a bit with the Samsung, but like Sergio, it just seems too large - between a pad and a phone. I love the iPhone from the features, to ease of use, to size and applications. Can't see changing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:24 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
As far as I'm concerned they're all essentially the same...... and by that I mean they're all iPhone clones to some extent. (I'm excluding the Blackberry from this as the keypad mean the interface is considerably different to other touchscreen phones).

Everytime I see an advert for a new smartphone on TV, it seems they always make a massive deal out of one or two "exclusive features" and then they show a picture of it (and a screenshot) at the end and lo and behold it looks just like an iPhone. Big surprise there huh? Maybe a bit bigger, or smaller, or thicker, or thinner, but basically the same.

I personally never understand how people trap on about how one smartphone is soooooooooooo much better than another one. Every phone is bound to do something or other slightly better or worse than it's competitors - it's swings and roundabouts. Or maybe I'm just not that into phones to be purely objective here.....

I have an iPhone and it does absolutely everything I need, and no doubt a hell of a lot of other things I don't need. For me, changing to something else would be more hassle than it'd be worth.

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:54 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1728 posts
same here, actually hoping the iphone 5 will not be much wider than the current 4 I love using. would I switch from another platform, I might look at alternatives, Samsung has some very attractive phones - but for an ios user switching would make rather little sense.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:26 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Driver8 wrote:
As far as I'm concerned they're all essentially the same...... and by that I mean they're all iPhone clones to some extent. (I'm excluding the Blackberry from this as the keypad mean the interface is considerably different to other touchscreen phones).

Everytime I see an advert for a new smartphone on TV, it seems they always make a massive deal out of one or two "exclusive features" and then they show a picture of it (and a screenshot) at the end and lo and behold it looks just like an iPhone. Big surprise there huh? Maybe a bit bigger, or smaller, or thicker, or thinner, but basically the same.

I personally never understand how people trap on about how one smartphone is soooooooooooo much better than another one. Every phone is bound to do something or other slightly better or worse than it's competitors - it's swings and roundabouts. Or maybe I'm just not that into phones to be purely objective here.....

I have an iPhone and it does absolutely everything I need, and no doubt a hell of a lot of other things I don't need. For me, changing to something else would be more hassle than it'd be worth.

some valid points there driver. for me one of the main things that attracts me to this phone is the GUI. I mean it just seems cleaner yet more robust. The larger screen is an added bonus in my book. I spend a lot of time on the web and surfing around plus being on the LTE network is much faster than surfing from the 3G network the 4s uses.

like you guys I dont know if these small enhancements are enough for me to cough up an extra 600 dollars to own the phone. but from a consumers standpoint its nice to see more choices that just iphones.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:59 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
boogiebot wrote:
but from a consumers standpoint its nice to see more choices that just iphones.

Oh I completely agree with you - I just almost wish other makers were a bit more radical and made something that didn't look and function exactly like an iPhone for a change! To my simplistic mind, there are 3 types of phone - Blackberrys, iPhones and iPhone clones.

I'll be honest here but I did look at a Galaxy Note recently in a shop, purely because it was more of a tablet/phone hybrid on account of it's size and it had a stylus, which is suitably different to all the other iPhone clones - and the iPhone of course - to warrant a look IMO. But ultimately after a few mins of playing around with it in the shop I realised it was too big to be a practical phone and (yet again!) just too similar to my trusty iPhone.

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:33 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 5 posts
I must agree with Driver8, they are all the same.
IPhone or Droids? Rolex or Breitling? This or that?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:26 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

I used to be a tech junkie. Then I realized that it's futile to keep up. For me, the learning curve for both OS (iOS and Android) is negligent. I just picked up my first smartphone this January and I was torn between the Galaxy SII and 4s. Just on sheer size I picked the 4s. Plus as Driver mentioned, it does everything I need it to. I do most stuff on my laptop anyway.

Plus I just don't like the way Android's UI is made. Don't really care if it's got a 5D, 8 inch display with a 8 core processor. :!:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:48 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Driver8 wrote:
To my simplistic mind, there are 3 types of phone - Blackberrys, iPhones and iPhone clones.

Driver I think that this is a fair statement. No doubt that all the other companies are just putting a spin on top of what someone else conceptualized.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:43 am 
Cult of Breitling Leader
Cult of Breitling Leader

Liked in: 4 posts
boogiebot wrote:
Driver8 wrote:
To my simplistic mind, there are 3 types of phone - Blackberrys, iPhones and iPhone clones.

Driver I think that this is a fair statement. No doubt that all the other companies are just putting a spin on top of what someone else conceptualized.

I should say that I might agree with this statement. But there is a slight difference this time. The clone is better than the doner. Much better.

I have been a Galaxy SII user for the last 10 months and I can hardly part with it. The majority of my friends (maybe 95%) are i-phone users. They never stop cursing against it but since an i-phone is more "in" than a Samsung they keep using it. There have been countless times when they have tried my Galaxy for a few minutes and they have been amazed by its qualities (speed, screen quality, weight to name just a few). But they are sticking to their apple product. That's what a free market is all about. :wink:

Personnaly, I cannot wait for another few months when I would be able to renew by subscription and get the S III.

- This is Ghost Rider requesting a fly-by. - Negative Ghost Rider. The pattern is full.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:10 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Almost all of the iPhone users who curse at their iPhones, are not going to spend the hours of reading and hacking required to get their droid phone to run well, longer or faster than whatever came stock on the device so the best they can hope for is what it came with. I had a short droid swap over along with tablets and personally found it ridiculous to have to spend hours hacking my phone to get the most out of it, or side loading some other OS (Cyenogen, etc) onto my tablets to either keep them from crashing or from slaughtering my battery in the background because I had to load some other app(task killer) in order to kill the running apps. In the mean time ive become an IOS developer on the side and yes my entire house is Mac'd. I was involved just as Honeycomb was coming out. Maybe lots changed but I have watched 3 of my friends droids get stuck in perpetual loops of crashing after getting the latest OTA updates from Verizon. The absolute biggest issue with droids I see is the carrier customization and crap loading. They treat it like the next Windows release from Compaq and load it with useless crap (that all start son boot mind you). Like I said before, the iPhone users that you think will switch to droids will not hack some other carriers OS on to the phone so it works. They will live with it and probably be more pissed. That's just my experience, as an IT guy who deals with a ton of our company phone from all walks of life and all markets of phones.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:26 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

I've just switched from my trusty iphone4, previously had the 3GS but now have the Galaxy S3.

Mainly changed because I wanted a bigger screen but got a whole lot more I didn't bargain on. Super fast, awesome screen, memory card slot, physical battery you can replace or change. The list goes on.

The iphone5 will have to be something very special to get me back to iOS.