Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Fri May 24, 2024 3:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: God bless license plates
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:40 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 3 posts
So, I was happily driving along through the night, just minding my business at a gentle cruising speed of 76 mph if I am to believe my trusty Navi's slide-rule...

When it happened.

I just saw it for a split seconds in the headlight's beam, drifting in from the front-right side... My head immediately kicked into emergency mode: check escape ways, discard evasive maneuver as too dangerous, check rear mirror, brake hard, stiffen grip around steering wheel, put head out of the way in case something comes through the windscreen and be ready for the Airbag to go off...

Then it hit, full force, a massive bang, and was projected up onto the hood.
Only at that point did I realize that it hadn't been a Rock, as I had initially presumed, but a rather lifeless bird. I suspect it had been hit by the vehicle up front and flung up against the nose of my car.

I was, to be honest quite shocked. I didn't realize exactly how bad it was till later on, when I started thinking the whole thing over. Anyhow, I took the car off the motorway, pulled into a brightly lit petrol station and went on inspecting the damage. My stomach was knit and my teeth cringing in anticipation of the very worst as I approached the front of the vehicle. It looked ok on the hood, but that could only mean the front'd be ruined, could it not? I assembled all my bravura and opened my eyes to what was…

An intact vehicle front. I must say I was massively surprised up until I came to notice something was missing. Too black was the front of my black car. And somehow that little white accent on which one usually finds a rather random looking series of letters and numbers was gone. I had lost my license plate as the plastic license plate holder had been shattered upon impact.

With the precious help of our cantonal Police, it was soon after recovered in a dreadful condition (some trucks must have driven over it in the meantime).

It has though, done an outstanding job at protecting the car. Not even my parking distance control has been damaged. I showed the car to a mechanic over lunchtime and he said there was nothing even remotely to be fixed.

So on that note, I would like to thank the DMV for issuing such an effective way of protecting oneself against the hazards of roadkill. I will now cancel my insurance policy and register my car a couple more times in order to cover the whole front in number plates ;)

@ F14Tomcat, you will be very pleased to hear that (quite luckily that is) no BMWs were harmed during the exercise.

Fred

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:43 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 0 post
Curious, what kind of car?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:59 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

3 series touring

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fred

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:09 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 730 posts
Nav01L wrote:
3 series touring

That bird must have had some respect for the car..............

Citizen Eco Drive AT4000-02E (for gardening)
Seiko 5 SNZG15J1
Hamilton X Wind LE

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:18 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Yeah, a nice bird that, but then, my car never did that :

http://www.google.ch/url?sa=t&source=we ... Jayee17HPw

Fred

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:12 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 730 posts
Now that's neat, Ford do have some useful accessories!

Citizen Eco Drive AT4000-02E (for gardening)
Seiko 5 SNZG15J1
Hamilton X Wind LE

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:00 am 
Cult of Breitling Leader
Cult of Breitling Leader

Liked in: 4 posts
Nav01L wrote:
So, I was happily driving along through the night, just minding my business at a gentle cruising speed of 76 mph if I am to believe my trusty Navi's slide-rule...

When it happened.

I just saw it for a split seconds in the headlight's beam, drifting in from the front-right side... My head immediately kicked into emergency mode: check escape ways, discard evasive maneuver as too dangerous, check rear mirror, brake hard, stiffen grip around steering wheel, put head out of the way in case something comes through the windscreen and be ready for the Airbag to go off...

Then it hit, full force, a massive bang, and was projected up onto the hood.
Only at that point did I realize that it hadn't been a Rock, as I had initially presumed, but a rather lifeless bird. I suspect it had been hit by the vehicle up front and flung up against the nose of my car.

I was, to be honest quite shocked. I didn't realize exactly how bad it was till later on, when I started thinking the whole thing over. Anyhow, I took the car off the motorway, pulled into a brightly lit petrol station and went on inspecting the damage. My stomach was knit and my teeth cringing in anticipation of the very worst as I approached the front of the vehicle. It looked ok on the hood, but that could only mean the front'd be ruined, could it not? I assembled all my bravura and opened my eyes to what was…

An intact vehicle front. I must say I was massively surprised up until I came to notice something was missing. Too black was the front of my black car. And somehow that little white accent on which one usually finds a rather random looking series of letters and numbers was gone. I had lost my license plate as the plastic license plate holder had been shattered upon impact.

With the precious help of our cantonal Police, it was soon after recovered in a dreadful condition (some trucks must have driven over it in the meantime).

It has though, done an outstanding job at protecting the car. Not even my parking distance control has been damaged. I showed the car to a mechanic over lunchtime and he said there was nothing even remotely to be fixed.

So on that note, I would like to thank the DMV for issuing such an effective way of protecting oneself against the hazards of roadkill. I will now cancel my insurance policy and register my car a couple more times in order to cover the whole front in number plates ;)

@ F14Tomcat, you will be very pleased to hear that (quite luckily that is) no BMWs were harmed during the exercise.

:thumbsup: Wow what a story, glad that your Touring was unharmed.

That being said, you know of course that if you lose your back licence plate you must apply for a new number. But if you lose your front our Office de la circulation will replace it. :wink:

- This is Ghost Rider requesting a fly-by. - Negative Ghost Rider. The pattern is full.