Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 6:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: New work toy
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:53 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 0 post
I'm so happy that I need to share. Just got my new work companion for the year.

Specs:

MacBook Pro 15, 2,4GHz i7, 16GB ram, 256GB SSD, Hi-Res display @ 1680x1050.

Post subject: Re: New work toy
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:00 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

i switched from windows to mac about 18 months a go, and i have never looked back, no un explained freezing or super slow start ups. i LOVE mac's!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:41 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

I'm also a switcher. About 6 years ago I made the best decision in my work-life so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:00 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

sadly, i still have to wrestle with machines that I'm not entirely sure don't run on coal, at work!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:53 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 809 posts
Yep i changed to Mac about 18 months ago too. Wouldn't go back to a PC.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:56 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 62 posts
We're still in PCs at the office for at least one more generation. However, our new laptops are all solid-state drives and what an amazing difference. I actually like my work computer now.

AP Royal Oak 15400, silver
Zenith Chronomaster El Primero Classic Cars
Vintage gold Corum
Rolex DJ 36 TT, oyster dial, oyster/smooth
Baume & Mercier Riviera 200m, silver dial/aquamarine bezel
Breitling Superocean 57, rose/stainless

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:46 pm 
All Roads lead to Breitling
All Roads lead to Breitling

Liked in: 33 posts
Why not just find one, buy it, and keep it! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:53 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Yep, just like with watches. :lol:

Vintage gold Corum

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:16 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Scott wrote:
We're still in PCs at the office for at least one more generation. However, our new laptops are all solid-state drives and what an amazing difference. I actually like my work computer now.

I know how you feel regarding the SSD.

I've had an assignment at IKEA for the last two years so I've been using a Dell Precision M4400 with Windows XP so I've really enjoyed my own MacBook Pro before. But since I'm leaving that assignment I've gotten a new work companion which, of course, was a Mac. It just became fun to work again!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:44 pm 
Wild Ling, You Make my Heart Sing!

I really dont like my macbook. Im a PC guy through and through. Its the nicest looking laptop around, but I really just hate the OS. And the whole reliability thing is just a myth imo. My mac freezes up once in a while with that stupid little pinwheel thing.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:48 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

RJRJRJ wrote:
I really dont like my macbook. Im a PC guy through and through. Its the nicest looking laptop around, but I really just hate the OS. And the whole reliability thing is just a myth imo. My mac freezes up once in a while with that stupid little pinwheel thing.

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing issues with your MacBook. It's not for everyone though.

About the pinwheel it's not freezing, I bet you still can force close whatever application is causing the wheel to spin. I'd say it's most likely performance issues. But I'm just guessing. :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:48 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

grenhall wrote:
RJRJRJ wrote:

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing issues with your MacBook. It's not for everyone though.

About the pinwheel it's not freezing, I bet you still can force close whatever application is causing the wheel to spin. I'd say it's most likely performance issues. But I'm just guessing. :)

I would say its most likely a performance issue as well, I have a MacBook Air because I liked how thin it was as I travel a lot, but I have had to sacrifice some performance for the space saving qualities. If I'm trying to run a couple of big program's at the same time, it can get too much. That said tho, in comparison to a windows notebook it is in a different league!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:56 pm 

coolhands87 wrote:
grenhall wrote:
RJRJRJ wrote:

I would say its most likely a performance issue as well, I have a MacBook Air because I liked how thin it was as I travel a lot, but I have had to sacrifice some performance for the space saving qualities. If I'm trying to run a couple of big program's at the same time, it can get too much. That said tho, in comparison to a windows notebook it is in a different league!

I dont think its a performance issue, since I really only use it for basic stuff. Its a core 2 2.2 with 4gb, so its more than adequate for simple documents and internet. I also get random freezes when shutting down (oddly enough, its a blue screen), sometimes wireless/bluetooth decides to stop working and needs a restart, etc.

Im not saying the mac is a major problem machine, only that it has no less issues than my windows 7 home computer (which really doesnt have many issues). W7 has been really solid for me and ive been running it since day one.

Mac makes the nicest looking computers without a doubt, but I just dont find many things that it does much better than windows. I could see people who arent familiar with windows finding a mac more simple and intuitive, but that doesnt strike me as a huge market segment these days.

Now having said all that, ive been considering replacing my macbook with an Air, just because its so damn nice. And since I really only use my laptop for basic work, internet/music/movies, and travel, it doesnt really matter what OS I use.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:58 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Friends of mine have been advised to get an Air instead of an Ipad because the size is just a bit larger and it is a "complete" computer. One of them bought the Air and loves it.

Vintage gold Corum

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:49 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

RJRJRJ wrote:
I dont think its a performance issue, since I really only use it for basic stuff. Its a core 2 2.2 with 4gb, so its more than adequate for simple documents and internet. I also get random freezes when shutting down (oddly enough, its a blue screen), sometimes wireless/bluetooth decides to stop working and needs a restart, etc.

Im not saying the mac is a major problem machine, only that it has no less issues than my windows 7 home computer (which really doesnt have many issues). W7 has been really solid for me and ive been running it since day one.

Mac makes the nicest looking computers without a doubt, but I just dont find many things that it does much better than windows. I could see people who arent familiar with windows finding a mac more simple and intuitive, but that doesnt strike me as a huge market segment these days.

Now having said all that, ive been considering replacing my macbook with an Air, just because its so damn nice. And since I really only use my laptop for basic work, internet/music/movies, and travel, it doesnt really matter what OS I use.

I'm sorry to hear about your issues. I won't be taking my place as an Apple-defender here. Just go with what you like, I'd say.

The new Macs are incorporating a lot from iOS so just beware of that if you don't like that OS. But the Air is great. I've used the 11,6'' before and it's really great.

Scott wrote:
Friends of mine have been advised to get an Air instead of an Ipad because the size is just a bit larger and it is a "complete" computer. One of them bought the Air and loves it.

It is a more "complete" experience. But with regard to price you'd pay 2x as much for an Air as you would an iPad. Also you can get the extra connectivity with the new iPad in one package. 4G LTE, or for us outside of CONUS it would be 3G HDSPA+, which you can't get from an Air without connecting a USB-modem.

I'd say it all comes down to what needs to be fulfilled. Either product is great however. Especially the screen on the new iPad. :drool: