Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Fitness advice!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:44 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 7 posts
Right, am back on the fitness game....well its been 2 months of gym, health suite, no booze and loads o fruit and veg, chicken, steak and fruit!!! :(

Anyway I need some advice on how to do correct excercises for my lower abdomin(spelling) have no problem gettin the 4 pack but buggered if I can get the lower stomach sorted.

Any good advice or links to tips for this problem. I mostly do sit ups at home cos its more convenient than the gym so any advice would be great!

Cheers

Super Avenger(White)

Moved on:
Montbrillant Legende(Silver)
Panerai 312

SOHC 125th Ann. LE(Silver)
Navitimer World(Pearl)
Panerai 441

Post subject: Re: Fitness advice!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:36 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 0 post
I think time travel back to 18 would help most :wink:
I wish I could help...Anyone out there... :?:
WE could use your advice :(
:idea: :idea: I've thought about the P.O.W. Diet....
No food for 21 days....You will loose weight :?:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:51 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Nah nah! Am pretty fit and quite lean now, the stomach is pretty much flat but I just want a bit of definition! :wink:

Super Avenger(White)

Moved on:
Panerai 312

Navitimer World(Pearl)
Panerai 441

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:53 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

andrew692003 wrote:
Nah nah! Am pretty fit and quite lean now, the stomach is pretty much flat but I just want a bit of definition! :wink:

Magic marker... :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:24 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 47 posts
The Abb Ripper X workout from P90X. I know the infomercial is cheesy, but you can't argue with the results. The entire set of work outs are right on the money. If you follow the diet along with the workouts you can't go wrong. Shed pound like nobody's business and really get in shape. I have done the 90 days three different times and better shape in my 40s than in my 20s. I can't bring myself to give up the beer so I never get the 6-pack beyond what I buy at the store, but twice now have had to buy new clothes. My stomach has never been flatter.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:22 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

rplace wrote:
The Abb Ripper X workout from P90X. I know the infomercial is cheesy, but you can't argue with the results. The entire set of work outs are right on the money. If you follow the diet along with the workouts you can't go wrong. Shed pound like nobody's business and really get in shape. I have done the 90 days three different times and better shape in my 40s than in my 20s. I can't bring myself to give up the beer so I never get the 6-pack beyond what I buy at the store, but twice now have had to buy new clothes. My stomach has never been flatter.

Okay that looks like the shit!!!

I'm not sure which one to purchase though can you show me a link?

Cheers

Super Avenger(White)

Moved on:
Panerai 312

Navitimer World(Pearl)
Panerai 441

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:26 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

There seems to be loads of DVDs for different muscle groups I just need help with my abs. Do you use all the dvd's or just the ones specifically for the groups you want to train?

Super Avenger(White)

Moved on:
Panerai 312

Navitimer World(Pearl)
Panerai 441

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:50 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Do situps.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:01 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Sit ups!!! What r they? :wink:

Super Avenger(White)

Moved on:
Panerai 312

Navitimer World(Pearl)
Panerai 441

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:12 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 47 posts
andrew692003 wrote:
There seems to be loads of DVDs for different muscle groups I just need help with my abs. Do you use all the dvd's or just the ones specifically for the groups you want to train?

Yea it is a total body approach. There are 6-7 days of workouts for 90 days. If you follow it to the T you will be crazy fit. On the three weight lifting days you also do the abb workout...it is only 16 minutes. It is easily worth the 120 bucks for the 10-12 DVD set, but if you are at all Internet savy you can probably find a copy or torent of the particular workout. Still I'd advocate for getting the program. Cardio, push ups, pullups, yoga, etc. it is seriously hard...but fun to see the progress week after week. I've been a life long runner, cyclist, did several triathlons in years past. These are not for the casual gym rat. Yea I drank the koolaid, but I was very skeptical at first and they converted me. Good luck.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:13 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 809 posts
Part of this is genetics. Some people will never get a 6 pack regardless of how hard they work. You may or may not be one of those people. In fact most healthy/ fit people can't maintain a 6 pack over extended periods; they move within an acceptable range of body fat %.

Another issue can be age; after 25 getting that lean becomes harder and harder.

The final issue is spot reduction. Most people these days suggest it's a myth. You can't target any one part of your body for fat loss (and really that's what's covering up those abs). All you can do is lose fat overall. Getting your overall body fat % down to the level where your lower abs become visible is your goal. Some people suggest there are secrets for that (varying protein/ carb intake etc). In the end i think it comes down to calories in being less than calories burned over an extended period of time. I used to be a professional cyclist (not very successfully and around 20 yrs or so ago now!) but i always had a 6 pack even tho i never did sit ups. I just rode 1000km a week.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:34 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Thanks for the 2 replies above an interesting read. Yip, Novo I'm pretty savvy with most of what you're saying. I've been eating no crap for 2 months now and doing a lot of CV work every other day, usually a 12km run....fast and a half hour on the rowing machine. I do that 3 times a week but the other 4 I do quite a bit of weights at the gym, not free weights mind you just on the machines. Never been a fan of the free weights allthough I know you would see better results but thats just me.

On the days I do weights I also do a quick 6k run. I've probably lost at least a stone and a half in the 8 weeks but also gained quite a bit of muscle at the same time. I'm now 12 stone but when I was fit and in my 20's I was always around 12.5 stone so I hope to put on a bit more muscle in the coming weeks. I'm no bodybuilder but I'm quite lean and have quite a good shape.

I just want to get a bit more difinition in the stomach area in the next 2 or 3 months before the holidays so any advice is good advice. I can never be arsed with the bog standard sit ups so the program that rplace recommends should be quite good!

Cheers for the info anyway guyz!

Super Avenger(White)

Moved on:
Panerai 312

Navitimer World(Pearl)
Panerai 441

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:41 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Good luck on your quest Andrew! My stomach muscles have been sliced and diced so many times from back surgeries that they said I'd never have abs....haha, just gives me an excuse to not try!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:54 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 3 posts
Andrew have you looked on bodybuilding.com site got a lot of info for all age groups ..

im going on 41 im 5ft 7 train everyday weights... bench over 90 kgs .... run 60 odd klmts a week cant get abs... 4 pack an issue... forget 6.... but i have a flat stomache .... and ive trained since i was 17 i once tipped the scales at 96kgs in my 20s i was going to be a body builder but at that height 5ft 7 looked stupid

can i ask do you use a pre work out drink b4 training ...

good luck and keep training ...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:17 pm 
Wild Ling, You Make my Heart Sing!
Wild Ling, You Make my Heart Sing!

Novacastrian wrote:
Part of this is genetics. Some people will never get a 6 pack regardless of how hard they work. You may or may not be one of those people. In fact most healthy/ fit people can't maintain a 6 pack over extended periods; they move within an acceptable range of body fat %.

Another issue can be age; after 25 getting that lean becomes harder and harder.

The final issue is spot reduction. Most people these days suggest it's a myth. You can't target any one part of your body for fat loss (and really that's what's covering up those abs). All you can do is lose fat overall. Getting your overall body fat % down to the level where your lower abs become visible is your goal. Some people suggest there are secrets for that (varying protein/ carb intake etc). In the end i think it comes down to calories in being less than calories burned over an extended period of time. I used to be a professional cyclist (not very successfully and around 20 yrs or so ago now!) but i always had a 6 pack even tho i never did sit ups. I just rode 1000km a week.

Thats it. Calories in/calories out is the only reliable way. Everything else is a gimmick or just doesnt work for everyone.

To OP, like Niva said, its just overall fat loss. Some people put on 10 lbs and 9 of them go straight to their ass. Some get the spare tire, some get flabby arms etc. Keep the weight coming off and youll start to see all kinds of new muscles that you didnt know you had.