Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 8:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Wow what a jerk
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:07 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 0 post
This guy is such a jerk, I am sure many of us on this site comprise the 1% and would never dream of doing this...

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/trending-no ... 24882.html

Post subject: Re: Wow what a jerk
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:19 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 20 posts
This coming from the man who hires women based on their voice, weight, and looks :poke:

That banker is a jerk, someone should kick him in the nuts. Wait staff and delivery people work hard and should be tipped generously. I give my pizza delivery guy & gal $10 bucks everytime. When tipping a waiter or waitress, I give 20% then round up to the next $5 increment. If 20% comes out to $16, I round up to $20. I'm definitely not a 1%'er but I believe in tipping generously and donating to good causes. Children's Brain Tumor Foundation is a great cause, I always sponsor a family every year to the Big Apple Circus.

Post subject: Wow what a jerk
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:21 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 18 posts
mfserge wrote:
This coming from the man who hires women based on their voice, weight, and looks :poke:

That banker is a jerk, someone should kick him in the nuts. Wait staff and delivery people work hard and should be tipped generously. I give my pizza delivery guy & gal $10 bucks everytime. When tipping a waiter or waitress, I give 20% then round up to the next $5 increment. If 20% comes out to $16, I round up to $20. I'm definitely not a 1%'er but I believe in tipping generously and donating to good causes. Children's Brain Tumor Foundation is a great cause, I always sponsor a family every year to the Big Apple Circus.

Your Pizza guy must love you!! lol

I saw that article also and couldn't believe anyone would screw a waitress like that. The only conclusion I could come up with is that she really F'ed up the order or was a total b..ch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Peter

BREITLING for Bentley Motors T & Mark VI, Aerospace
ROLEX Submariner Ceramic116610LN
OMEGA Plantet Ocean 8500 42mm Orange arabics
OCEAN7 LM-3

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:26 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

mfserge wrote:

Yes! Even unethical from my standpoint!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:32 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 2 posts
There is a big difference in tipping between the US and Europe. Most restaurant staff in the US is working mostly on tips. Here in Europe, the situation is different. They get a higher fixum and less tips. But some, who have mainly american customers are getting really spoiled, as 20% on an average basis is just simply to high. I remember for example diving in mexico: A dive costs about 30-35$ and many americans tipped 10$. The guides and captains where just spoiled and not even really thankful.

And by the way, I give absolutely no tip, when I am not satisfied with the service.

BG
Thomas

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:23 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 20 posts
Alien wrote:
And by the way, I give absolutely no tip, when I am not satisfied with the service.

BG
Thomas

That's horrible. Bad or service or not, they still deserve a tip. Maybe the person was new and not trained properly, maybe they were just having a bad night or weren't feeling well. If someone waits on your @$$, no matter how good or bad the service is, they should be given a tip.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:53 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Ah these people have a special place in hell. I live pretty close to a local billionaire ( not a millionaire whom people call a billionaire ) a true legit self made billionaire, nicest guy going you would never know it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:03 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 47 posts
mfserge wrote:
Alien wrote:

BG
Thomas

That's horrible. Bad or service or not, they still deserve a tip. Maybe the person was new and not trained properly, maybe they were just having a bad night or weren't feeling well. If someone waits on your @$$, no matter how good or bad the service is, they should be given a tip.

I always find this subject very interesting. Service has to be horrible I mean pathetic for me to give less than 10%. I typically round up to next couple of bucks beyond 20%. I feel like these people are truly serving me, and in more cases than not I am probably more fortunate than them so almost feel obligated to tip decent if not well. BUT from a purely purely academic standpoint of the argument why should I be forced to subsidize the restaurant industry and give some greasy haired, up all night sleep all day, hipster (kidding) a free ride on taxes? They make $100 dollars in tips they pocket $100. I make $100 and lose aprox. $30 between various taxes. Every waiter/waitress I have ever known or had the conversation with freely admits to claiming almost nothing WRT tip income on their tax returns. Why not charge me a bit more for my meal, pay a decent wage to the servers and have "professional wait staff"? Less turnover, more knowing what you are getting up front. Sounds like that is a bit more how the euro-scene is, but the few times I have been overseas I still seem to tip in the 20% range others have told me not to do that. Hard habit to break.

I have had a $3 egg/toast breakfast and left a $5 tip because the waitress was just killer. I've had a $200 meal and struggled to leave a $20 tip because things were so awful...but just could not bring myself to leave nothing.

Someone once told me tip stood for Too Insure Promptness. Seems like if they suck, they should be out of luck.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:11 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
mfserge wrote:
Alien wrote:

BG
Thomas

I don't want to get involved in this one - obviously an emotive subject - but I will just say that this highlights Thomas's earlier point of very different attitudes on tipping in the US compared to Europe.

However with regards to the OP's original link - what a complete a-hole that banker is. I think his profession clearly should've started with a "W" instead of a "B".

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:39 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Who is this guy, Mr. Pink?

Tip with as much generosity as you can stand.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:08 am 
Cult of Breitling Leader
Cult of Breitling Leader

Liked in: 4 posts
Alien wrote:
There is a big difference in tipping between the US and Europe. Most restaurant staff in the US is working mostly on tips. Here in Europe, the situation is different. They get a higher fixum and less tips.

That is exactly right Thomas. I also believe that it's up to the customer.
But I have also experienced customers being openly privileged due to the their higher tipping possibilities.

Sent from my Galaxy SII using Tapatalk

- This is Ghost Rider requesting a fly-by. - Negative Ghost Rider. The pattern is full.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:04 pm 
Wild Ling, You Make my Heart Sing!
Wild Ling, You Make my Heart Sing!

I generally tip around 20%, usually a bit more. Most wait staff in LA are very friendly and accommodating. If they take care of me, ill do the same for them.

And now for the polarizing opinion.... Generally speaking, the service in Europe totally sucks. Obviously some high end places have impeccable service, but ive found during my travels that the service generally sucks. On my last trip (dont remember where it was), I came to the conclusion that tips need to be integrated in order for the waiter/waitress to give a damn about you.

And finally, id be very interested in hearing this 1% guys story. I always tip, but I had one experience a few years ago that was so incredibly bad that I wrote "Terrible service" on the tip line instead of a $ amount.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:07 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

And guess what guys...

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/trending-no ... 27093.html

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:29 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

jlee5050 wrote:

LOL...at least we got to see different perspectives on tipping...European vs. American

Curious what peoples thoughts are regarding how much to tip at a buffet. People typically tip less, which is odd, since the person does more (takes the dishes each time you get up).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:18 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

jlee5050 wrote:

I came to post this but I guess this is a chance to give my .02. I tip an average of the rounded up 20%, but for truly awful service I still leave 5% or something. I actually signed "Suck It" to my dinner receipt last friday as our waiter was terribly rude for the third consecutive trip to this patio grill. He still got a couple bucks as I feel like if you leave nothing that automatically gives the waiter an easy out to just pass it up to the customer being cheap. At least with a minimum tip they have to reflect on why they got the bare min.

On another note.....Is anybody else here in the states tiring of this 99% vs 1% class warfare? Why on earth would anybody spend the time to photoshop a fake receipt just to stir up some traffic on the web?