Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 9:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Weapons Discussion
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:37 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 0 post
After reading the front page discussion regarding the member who had considered selling the shotgun that he'd been given by his father, a smaller discussion began regarding the debate over ownership and usage of firearms as weapons. While I certainly can see the side against weapon ownership, as well as the extreme idiocy of those who own an entire arsenal for no apparent reason other than to own it because the U.S. law says so, I must admit that I own a few weapons (firearms). I expect that this could degenerate into an argument that could wind up as a troll trap, but I wonder if anyone would wish to discuss this from the standpoint of either side as well as being a citizen of the U.S. (and subject to the laws therein).

As stated, I own two sidearms (both .45 cal.), a 12 gauge shotgun and a semi-automatic MP5 (modified as a close in weapon and for naval usage). The MP5 is really not that useful to a civilian, but I like and keep it (and use it).
I was trained as a young man to respect and use weapons properly (boy scout), spent several years in the military and saw combat on more than one continent during my service. I have, upon occasion, also been employed as 'security' and 'training' as a civilian. I own a place in NYC as well as a place in the 'country' (mountains), and have a license to carry. I have no children and am careful and certainly not foolish when it comes to usage and safety. I respect the privilege and responsibility that comes with owning and carrying such a weapon. I do not belong to or support organizations that lobby for less restriction. I like the Second Amendment the way it is, though. Finally, I spend many hours a week at the range maintaining my skills.

I respect the argument that too many own weapons who should not. Having typed that, what are your thoughts, reader?
If you are against responsible weapon ownership in the U.S., could you logically (in as non-passionate a way as possible) explain your ideals?

Oh, and guns can kill people. So can bullets. And people can kill people without a gun (or any weapon at all, for that matter), so could we please disregard that line of argument. It becomes circular and slightly self-fulfilling logic and, frankly, is boring in its banality.

Thanks,
-jbbb

Post subject: Re: Weapons Discussion
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:43 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 24 posts
Over here gun ownership is getting more restricted every year. Not fare imo as the figures show that, not sure of the percent, but near all gun crime is done using illegally held guns. So restricting legally held guns is not the answer but to the general public a gun is a gun. Once i held 5 guns but have cut that to 3. From what I can see I feel you may have the opposite problem in the states. Dont know what the gun crime figures are in the US are but I would guess they are more or less the same and would also guess the its a small percentage of gun crime that is done by long term owners. And thats the major issue with gun restrictions and ownership, gun crime.

A Few Breitlings.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:51 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 5 posts
johnnyboomboombuck wrote:
as well as the extreme idiocy of those who own an entire arsenal for no apparent reason other than to own it because the U.S. law says so,

Couldn't the same be said for watches, cars, airplanes, Star Wars toys, etc.? The list could go on forever.

I enjoy watches, but I don't see any point in owning 40 of them.
If I had the means I would more likely buy 40 cars, planes, guns, etc. before I would buy 40 watches. Others here would disagree and that's fine. To each their own.

If it's legal and the owner follows the law/rules/regulations where's the problem?

Elgin-Hamilton 37500 (Aircraft Clock)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:01 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

mjfur,
I hear you. However, actual laws governing ownership of 40 watches or 400 Star Wars figures do not exist, as far as I know. My point, and it would appear that we agree, is that some point to the Second Amendment as well as State and local laws that guarantee weapon ownership as the excuse to build up a literal arsenal.
Possibly, along with owning every version of Star Wars figures (or whatever), this is a psychiatric disorder. I wonder what that says about my watch collection....that is for another day, a few glasses of the single malt from the other discussion an my shrink to consider, though...
-jbbb

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:14 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 5 posts
, this is a psychiatric disorder.

This is where we disagree. For every flaw you find in someone else's collecting, there is someone (or a group) that can find a flaw with yours.

I'll refer back to my above post "to each their own".

Elgin-Hamilton 37500 (Aircraft Clock)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:36 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Seeing how this shot off from a statement I made.
Let me state my Qualifications:
Trained and used M-14
Trained in hand to hand and bayonet training.Used in combat
Trained to use M-16 used in combat
Trained to use 45 Cal. used in combat
Trained to use 9mm.
Used MAT-49 in combat
Used FN-FAL in combat.
Trained and used M-60 in combat
Trained to use Browning 30 Cal.
Trained to use 50 Cal
Used AK-47 in combat
Have owned and fired many other guns...And I Honestly believe people should not own guns...
They are not things to collect....They are not toys.....They are dangerous weapons, as are bombs,swords,and opinions.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:01 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Twotone540 wrote:
Seeing how this shot off from a statement I made.
Let me state my Qualifications:
Trained and used M-14
Trained in hand to hand and bayonet training.Used in combat
Trained to use M-16 used in combat
Trained to use 45 Cal. used in combat
Trained to use 9mm.
Used MAT-49 in combat
Used FN-FAL in combat.
Trained and used M-60 in combat
Trained to use Browning 30 Cal.
Trained to use 50 Cal
Used AK-47 in combat
Have owned and fired many other guns...And I Honestly believe people should not own guns...
They are not things to collect....They are not toys.....They are dangerous weapons, as are bombs,swords,and opinions.

How many do you actually own. I hunt and use mine. I own a 1927 William Evans side by side and wwould own many more fine English guns if I could afford to do so. Therefore disagree with you on the collecting thing!

A Few Breitlings.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:16 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Well, I own several firearms and I see nothing wrong with collecting them. I enjoy taking them to the range and shooting them and every gun shoots a little differently. It's a legitimate hobby. I also like the security of having a firearm in the house in case an intruder entered with the intention of causing me or my family harm.

Tag Heuer Aquaracer Calibre S Regatta
Tag Heuer Formula One Chrono

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:19 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

mjfur wrote:
, this is a psychiatric disorder.

This is where we disagree. For every flaw you find in someone else's collecting, there is someone (or a group) that can find a flaw with yours.

I'll refer back to my above post "to each their own".

I really didn't want to participate in such a polarizing topic but just saying... well said and fair enough.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:21 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

I own a 9mm.made by FN A Browning design known as A Browning HI-MATIC here...It has Nazi proof marks and of course
is from WWII......It was my fathers and I have never fired it. I have a 50 cal. muzzle loader, never fired. Would you like to buy either one...Or both?
What if the stupid kid down the street broke in...You kill him?
Or your own stupid child sneaks out...And You shoot them at 2 in the morning?
Or your dumb child, who you trained to respect firearms shoots a friend showing them what Daddy has in the closet.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:27 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Twotone540 wrote:
I own a 9mm.made by FN A Browning design known as A Browning HI-MATIC here...It has Nazi proof marks and of course
is from WWII......It was my fathers and I have never fired it. I have a 50 cal. muzzle loader, never fired. Would you like to buy either one...Or both?
What if the stupid kid down the street broke in...You kill him?
Or your own stupid child sneaks out...And You shoot them at 2 in the morning?
Or your dumb child, who you trained to respect firearms shoots a friend showing them what Daddy has in the closet.

what if, what if. Cars, knifes, alcohol, chemicals, dogs, humans!
I think in my training with firearms the most important thing to remember is safety.

A Few Breitlings.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:41 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

I'm sorry Sir...You are right. I am wrong...I bow to your 'Thump'.
To explain the 'Thump' I will have to go into American military tradition. In America we have a tradition known as a class
ring, It is purchased by 95% or more of High school and college graduates in this country.It has school colors, class date
etc;etc. This tradition was started at the United States Military Academy, West Point N.Y. The graduate would pick up a stone
from the parade field and take it to a local jeweler who would polish and set it into a ring. The officer would wear this ring as a reminder
of where he came from...Soon this developed into the highly detailed rings similar to the ones almost every American has worn.
Now the thump....When commities of officers are formed,many decisions come from these groups, If a West Pointer is on said group.
and wishes for his idea to be done ....He will thump his ring on the table,chair,glass etc.....A subtle reminder as to who and what he is.
A West Point Officer and to be General one day.
We non-West point officers....shut up.
You can not win a fight with a West Pointer.....If any read this....Back me up. You know it's true!
Possible Question...What if there are more than one West Pointer in the group?
Then it's settled by Class Date...Seniority rules.
Have a nice day :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:12 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I have no doubt you are a lot more qualified to speak on guns than me on my sporting firearms. So agree Sir have a good day too!
:lingsrock:

A Few Breitlings.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:00 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

"This is where we disagree. For every flaw you find in someone else's collecting, there is someone (or a group) that can find a flaw with yours.

I'll refer back to my above post "to each their own"."

Fair enough!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:32 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

"This is where we disagree. For every flaw you find in someone else's collecting, there is someone (or a group) that can find a flaw with yours.

I'll refer back to my above post "to each their own"."

Fair enough!

That degraded pretty quickly... If you ever need a companion to dump 9mm from your MP5 do let me know. Spray and pray has always been my philosophy to cover my poor handgun shooting capabilities. :lol: