The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 3:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:49 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 0 post
I gather from some other posts that there are some snowboarders on this forum. I am just getting started in my boarding career. I have 12 years of skiing under belt and am very comfortable on the snow. I recently returned from a trip with my daughter where I decided to try boarding. I loved it! I suck, but it was really fun. I rented a 158 cm and was reasonably comfortable on that after a day or two. At this point, I can make it down the mountain on a beginner or intermediate slope without putting my life in peril. My heel edge is much preferred over my toe edge, especially on my front side.

Anyway, I'm looking to buy some equipment for a trip to Big Sky in March. Do you have any suggestions for board/boots/bindings?

Thanks as always.

Coral Club Founding Father
:coralclub:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:05 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Liked in: 18 posts
Woo! Snowboarding! I love it.

I started my career with a Santa Cruz board or some sort.. then moved onto a Nitro, then picked up a Salomon, and now I am riding an Option of some sort. I'm not a huge Gear head so I don't know a lot about different types of gear... but I know the Burton entry level series (Clash i think?) are good for a beginning boarder because they have a fairly forgiving flex. at 158 I gather you weight around.. 190-200lbs? You will probably find it easier with a Freestyle board initially. As long as you stick with any of the big brands such as Burton, Forum, Option, Nitro, Salomon, etc you should be fine. As for bindings, i would just get something in the range of your board... at the beginner level it won't make a huge difference Get a pair of Burton Customs or something that will last a while... as for boots, definately get what is most comfortable.. no doubt.

I recently picked up a pair of Flow bindings, they use a special system to slip your foot into the binding without having to strap in or click in... some people like 'em (like me, sooo convenient) but some peopel feel they dont give as much control on heel side... i'm a casual rider so i like them great!

After a while you will be equally comfortable on your heel and toe edge... at least.. you should be ! :) with 12 years of skiing experience you should be fine in no time :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:04 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

seriously? Most of it doesnt really matter. Just get something the right height, that looks cool to you, and generally feels right all around. The whole thing with flex and stuff you won't even notice until you start doing more advanced stuff. Like admin said try the clash. Pretty good board for the price and burton makes quality stuff. I like forum myself.

I dont like the click in bindings like the stuff u can rent (not the flow ones the other ones). They tend to jam alot. Im still an old school standard bindings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:12 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 2 posts
Snow?

What's that?

:lol:

We get less than an inch per year.

~Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:32 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

breitlingsource wrote:

I started my career with a Santa Cruz board or some sort.. then moved onto a Nitro, then picked up a Salomon, and now I am riding an Option of some sort. I'm not a huge Gear head so I don't know a lot about different types of gear... but I know the Burton entry level series (Clash i think?) are good for a beginning boarder because they have a fairly forgiving flex. at 158 I gather you weight around.. 190-200lbs? You will probably find it easier with a Freestyle board initially. As long as you stick with any of the big brands such as Burton, Forum, Option, Nitro, Salomon, etc you should be fine. As for bindings, i would just get something in the range of your board... at the beginner level it won't make a huge difference Get a pair of Burton Customs or something that will last a while... as for boots, definately get what is most comfortable.. no doubt.

I recently picked up a pair of Flow bindings, they use a special system to slip your foot into the binding without having to strap in or click in... some people like 'em (like me, sooo convenient) but some peopel feel they dont give as much control on heel side... i'm a casual rider so i like them great!

After a while you will be equally comfortable on your heel and toe edge... at least.. you should be ! :) with 12 years of skiing experience you should be fine in no time :)

What on earth are you talking about? Jeez Admin stop this nonsence - can't understand a bloody word. 'Flow Bindings', 'Burton Customs' ? Get a grip on yourself!

Pfffffffff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:22 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 19 posts
I've always thought that the proper name for snowboarders were Ganja Boards... They doesn't seem to do anything else than sitting in the way in the middle of the slope, smoking pot and discussing what great jumps/tricks they'll do next... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:38 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
sportback wrote:
breitlingsource wrote:

What on earth are you talking about? Jeez Admin stop this nonsence - can't understand a bloody word. 'Flow Bindings', 'Burton Customs' ? Get a grip on yourself!

Pfffffffff

I'm with you on this one Sportback! NOT.... A.... FLIPPIN'..... CLUE! :huh

Site Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:24 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 1 post
I dont know owt about snowboards, but I was given some good advice on toboggans by the owner of a sports shop recently. Nice guy although he started badly by giving me the hard sell on a tent I had no need for. 'now is the winter of our discounted tents' he gushed, but I resisted and my eyes fell on some neat toboggans. I asked him what the main differences were and he asked me if it was my first. I replied I had never done any tobogganing and had no idea what I was looking for. He replied 'to begin to toboggan, first buy a toboggan, but dont buy too big a toboggan. For, too big a toboggan is not the toboggan, to buy, to begin to toboggan'
Good advice indeed, so I bought a pool cue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:40 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
ewen wrote:
I dont know owt about snowboards, but I was given some good advice on toboggans by the owner of a sports shop recently. Nice guy although he started badly by giving me the hard sell on a tent I had no need for. 'now is the winter of our discounted tents' he gushed, but I resisted and my eyes fell on some neat toboggans. I asked him what the main differences were and he asked me if it was my first. I replied I had never done any tobogganing and had no idea what I was looking for. He replied 'to begin to toboggan, first buy a toboggan, but dont buy too big a toboggan. For, too big a toboggan is not the toboggan, to buy, to begin to toboggan'
Good advice indeed, so I bought a pool cue.

:rofl: Mmmmmm, wise words Ewen, wise words. Yoda wouldn't have put it better!

Site Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:08 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Liked in: 18 posts
sportback wrote:

Pfffffffff

:lol: what u got no snow there in France????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:09 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

I'm tellin you just walk into any snowboard shop and be like I'm a beginner and don't want to spend a shitload of money. They usually know what they are talking about. And if its a major brand like Burton, forum, or Ride you can't really go wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:39 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

flyboy wrote:
I'm tellin you just walk into any snowboard shop and be like I'm a beginner and don't want to spend a shitload of money. They usually know what they are talking about. And if its a major brand like Burton, forum, or Ride you can't really go wrong.

True but then again their equipment is more expensive then other brands. I currently use a Burton 154 "jussi", but its a rather more advanced board that fits right in to kickers and rails.

My best advice is to pick a board that isnt too small if you are a beginner. You need to find a board with a soft "flex". I suggest a Burton "Custom" (you have to be able to bend it a little with minimal force). size = If it reaches your chin then your good. Bindings are not that much of an issue IMO but they cant pass the width of the board you purchase. And finally the boots, dont save on those since you will be wearing them all day. Wathever feels the best for you is most likely what you need.

Hope this helps :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:08 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Just following up and saying thanks for all the advice.

I ended up going with a Ride Control (158) board, and Ride bindings. Out the door it was US$330 for board/bindings -- way less than I anticipated. Everything is on sale here in VA, since the "season" is about over. All that means is I will have more budget for Breitlings! And as long as they have cold beer in Montana, I could leave my snowboard at home at still have a good time, and it would likely be safer.

So thank for all your help. It was actually quite helpful getting such a range of opinions, because I really felt like I couldn't go wrong. Plus the dude in there seemed to know more about snowboards than any human being on the planet, which was cool. I got a good education.

Coral Club Founding Father
:coralclub: