All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Terrible
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:48 am 
Cult of Breitling Leader
Cult of Breitling Leader

Liked in: 4 posts
Roffensian wrote:
F14D_Tomcat wrote:
Also, Jacques Rogge, IOC president, said during his allocation: "the Olympic Games are coming home tonight". Since this forum is family friendly, I will refrain from commenting such an ignominious statement but we all know where the Olympic Games' home is.

I heard that and just knew that I would be reading a comment about it from you today.

Would you give me wrong ?

I am not saying that you are, just asking for your opinion.

- This is Ghost Rider requesting a fly-by. - Negative Ghost Rider. The pattern is full.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:02 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
F14D_Tomcat wrote:
Roffensian wrote:
F14D_Tomcat wrote:
Also, Jacques Rogge, IOC president, said during his allocation: "the Olympic Games are coming home tonight". Since this forum is family friendly, I will refrain from commenting such an ignominious statement but we all know where the Olympic Games' home is.

I heard that and just knew that I would be reading a comment about it from you today.

Would you give me wrong ?

I am not saying that you are, just asking for your opinion.

If you listened to his reasoning behind the statement then I understand the point that he was making and agree with it - Britain being a driver behind a lot of what the Olympic ideal stands for. He could have phrased it differently, but consider the source.

Personally I am a lot more offended by the IOC's repeated refusal to acknowledge the murder of 11 Olympians and 12 people in total, especially on the 40th anniversary. To claim that they want to avoid politics is hypocrisy in the extreme.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:19 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1728 posts
thank you, Roff.
did not want to discuss this potentially controversial subject on breitlingsource, but held my personal minute of silence instead of watching the pathetic parade, together with more than 102,000 co-petitioners.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:47 am 
All Roads lead to Breitling
All Roads lead to Breitling

Liked in: 33 posts
I should have taken 2 seconds to note this was my opinion. So in my opinion, they well lost me after the first half hour. I do agree the "forging" of the rings was a neat trick. But for me it went from a too small scale and overly long first scene classic of every musical theater standard to something that did get a bit interesting, and then again into an extended small scale "boy meets girl" story which I thought was extraordinarily bizarre.

Usually the point of a opening ceremony is melding the culture of the host country with the sport and spectacle of the Olympic Games themselves. Here, they left out any attempt to bring the games and what they stand for into the opening ceremony and, with the exception of the rings, it was just a celebration of some historical high points that changed British culture.

If the US or, God forbid, France did the same thing, the world and England would be bitching. I think the UK gets a bit of a pass because, well, who doesn't like the UK?

Still, I found it egocentric in its failure to make the ceremony as much about the Games as about the culture. China spent a crap load of money, but the ceremony kept incorporating the games.

Perhaps my expectations were too high. I turned it of somewhere around the "u" countries so I missed Sir Paul and the torch lighting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:08 am 
Cult of Breitling Leader
Cult of Breitling Leader

I have to say that Tom's comments describe best what this ceremony was about, especially the bitching.

In my opinion, the British purposely left out of the ceremony what the games stand for.

The point is that there have been many negative comments from all over the world about the "ceremony".

Also, among other problems that the organizers face, there is the empty stadiums to the point that they had to use military personnel to fill the empty seats a little bit. And let us not talk about the weather...

- This is Ghost Rider requesting a fly-by. - Negative Ghost Rider. The pattern is full.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:17 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 20 posts
Image Image

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:20 am 
Cult of Breitling Leader
Cult of Breitling Leader

Roffensian wrote:

If you listened to his reasoning behind the statement then I understand the point that he was making and agree with it - Britain being a driver behind a lot of what the Olympic ideal stands for.

So, in your opinion, Britain is a driver behind the Olympic ideal more than Greece is. To the point of justifying not to mention Greece at all. Interesting point of view from a country that did not even existed when the first games took place. I doubt that Pierre de Coubertin would agree.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:06 pm 
Cult of Breitling Leader
Cult of Breitling Leader

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:33 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 168 posts
http://www.wenlock-olympian-society.org ... ndex.shtml

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:16 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Davey, you are trying to reason with someone who is apparently more blinkered in his support for Greece than he is in his support for BMW. No point in debating with such a narrow viewpoint. Of course Greece represents everything that the Olympics stand for, just ask Voula Papachristou or Dimitris Chondrokoukis - racism and drug cheating before the Olympics had even begun (the third straight summer Olympics that has seen at least one Greek expelled for drug cheating).

Pierre de Coubertin would indeed be proud.

I'm out of this thread because debating with a brick wall is no debate at all, and I'm sorry that this thread went there. I can understand why some people felt that the ceremony compared badly to some others, there will be supporters and critics of every such event. Personally I think it did a good job of representing Great Britain, but the world would be a boring place if we all liked the same thing.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:16 pm 
Cult of Breitling Leader
Cult of Breitling Leader

I have to admit that I really liked Rowan Atkinson's performance. Typical Mr. Bean of whom I am a fan.

The "race" he won was in typical Olympic Spirit and fairplay. Maybe the organizers wanted to show how Britain is a driver behind a lot of what the Olympic ideal stands for.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:21 pm 
Cult of Breitling Leader
Cult of Breitling Leader

Roffensian wrote:
racism and drug cheating before the Olympics had even begun

German flag bearer Natasha Keller stated: The Olympic Stadium is filled with Greek barefooted athletes. When we see them we play it stupid lest they ask us to lend them money.

British Athlete twitted: I hope the hungry Greeks will not eat all the food in the Olympic village.

Just google it for more details.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:08 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 0 post
F14D_Tomcat wrote:
I have to say that Tom's comments describe best what this ceremony was about, especially the bitching.

In my opinion, the British purposely left out of the ceremony what the games stand for.

The point is that there have been many negative comments from all over the world about the "ceremony".

Also, among other problems that the organizers face, there is the empty stadiums to the point that they had to use military personnel to fill the empty seats a little bit. And let us not talk about the weather...

You, sir, get the gold medal for having the MOST opinions about the Olympics on the forum.

Are you a former Olympian, Greek, or is there another reason you're so vested in the games?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:31 pm 
Cult of Breitling Leader
Cult of Breitling Leader

Iantheklutz wrote:

You, sir, get the gold medal for having the MOST opinions about the Olympics on the forum.

Are you a former Olympian, Greek, or is there another reason you're so vested in the games?

Thank you Ian.

First of, to answer your question, yes, I am Greek and proud to be.

That said, Christopher Hitchens once said: Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. The grave will supply plenty of time for silence.

It is because of these two points that I first responded to this thread, though I hesitated being fully aware of all the negative and irrelevant comments I would receive. After all, everybody is entitled to his opinion, even if it is wrong.

However, prior to your post, I had decided not to respond anymore because it is really pointless. Not only because there are people who are totally ignorant of basic values of Olympism because they were never taught to them. That I can accept.

But to insist in proving the contrary using personnal attacks because of lack of arguments, I am not in this forum for that. I let this to others. Others, who want to prove that they are ALWAYS right and that they know EVERYTHING on ALL subjects. If it suits them to believe that and they feel superior because they have a different status than mine in this forum, it is OK with me.

But they cannot re-write History to their advantage. Whether they like it or not. Whether they are pissed off that History is what it is or not. Especially Greek History of which I am proud. But Greece is used to sneaky attacks and twisted misinformation during its 3’000-year history. And it has always prevailed.

Finally, on at least two occasions, the OP’s subject was hijacked (and I am not talking only about this thread) with the sole purpose of targeting me. I don’t have a problem with that either but the target was missed on both occasions. In the current thread, the subject is the 2012 London Olympics ceremony. Not racism or drugs or the wenlock olympian society (otherwise, why not also talk about, for example, Ben Johnson or Linford Christie, notorious Greeks?). But since there were no more arguments to counter the ignominous intentional “mistakes” made during the ceremony, the subject was changed.

I will finish by asking one question: Is Britain the home of the Olympics (please answer by yes or no): I will let you give the answer. And you might consider opening a History book, in case of a doubt.

And that will be my final word on this thread.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:01 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 20 posts