Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 5:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:20 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
I'll join in on this one -

Suits : I vary between two ends of the spectrum on this. At one end I have my suits handmade by a fantastic local tailor. The guy's been making suits for 50 years and he's superb, although you do pay for the privilege. However, if I know I'm just going to be shining a seat in the office for any length of time I tend to wear £200 suits from M&S. I choose M&S because you can mix and match on sizes of jacket and trouser (so no adjustments needed) and you can buy 2 or 3 pairs of trousers with the jacket to cut down on excessive wear. Plus the quality is pretty good for the price.

Dress shirts : Charles Tywhritt or TM Lewin generally, although I also have a number by Blazer and a few Van Heusens around too. Usually double-cuff (although I've started to avoid them more recently on account of the cuff-links occasionally scratching my watch bracelets! :oops: ), removable internal brass collar stiffeners, never button-down collars to the office(!), no breast pocket (exactly as a good dress shirt should be! :wink: ).

Dress shoes : Leather, black, shiny. That's about it really. I don't have a lot of interest in dress shoes other than they need to be smart.

Ties : Silk - don't care about the make.

Casual wear : Always generally jeans. No specific brand although they always tend to be fairly expensive, but that's not by choice per se - I just buy what I like at the time.... and unfortunately I seem to have reasonably expensive taste. I'm generally a shirts guy as opposed to a t-shirt guy. Again, no specific brand, but a lot my shirts seem to be by smaller English and Italian designers, along with the likes of Paul Smith, Hugo and RL. I basically buy what I like as opposed to a specific brand, and because of the places I shop at, they tend to be more on the expensive side. In terms of casual footwear I'm always in leather boots or shoes ; never trainers unless I'm in the gym. Again, no specific brand here, just whatever catches my eye, but again they are always usually decent quality.

Casual jackets : Bit of a coat/jacket fetish here! I've currently got well over 20 of them. (Hey, this is freezing England after all!). All sorts - numerous leather jackets by numerous makers, other non-leathers by Hugo, RL, Superdry, FC, etc, plus a couple of off-shore sailing jackets, 3 ski jackets, a long black cashmere overcoat, even a couple of vintage Levi denim jackets, etc - loads of them.

Sunglasses : Currently 6 pairs of Oakleys and 1 pair of Ray Bans. I love sunnies and my Oakley collection was around 15 pairs at one point, but I recently sold a load off and replaced a couple of pairs to bring the total down to what I have now. While I had them in the past, I now steer well clear of any of the seriously loud Iridium lenses - Fire, Ruby, etc - as they just seem a bit chavy nowadays, especially when you aren't 18 years old any more! IMO black iridium, VR28, bronze polarised, etc, is the way to go - much more understated and cool.

Oh and I don't give a damn if my shoe leather colour doesn't match my belt and/or watch strap! :poke:

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:39 am 
All Roads lead to Breitling

Liked in: 33 posts
Scott wrote:
Okay, I'll play:

Dress shirts: Nordstrom or Paul Frederick, pinpoint, brass aftermarket collar stays. I'll do an occasional button down, but not for real dress.

Dress shoes: Allen Edmunds (A-B width feet, and they'll last forever if you take care of them) Wingtip or cap toe (no clown shoes)

Suits: Flexible, but nice fabric. Hart, Shaffner and Marx works. Mom and Pop store in town sells nice light Italian wool suits. Day to day I'm not fussy but for big meetings, gotta look the part.

Polo shirts: Lightweight dry-tech shirts, not fussy on the brand.

Slacks: Double reverse pleated.

Pen: In the office, fountain. Out, lost too many, whatever is in the supply room.

Key fob: Yes, if the keys are out I look. Shouldn't but I do. Hey, I like cars.

Brothers on Central? Bought a few suits there and use them as my tailor for alterations.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:42 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 13 posts
I'll play too - this is fun!

The two items I pay most attention to/get into are wallets and shoes:
- My wallet is currently a Mont Blanc;
- Dress Shoes: Preferable handmade and mostly purchased on sale: Allen Edmonds, Magnanni, To Boot New York etc.

I have a couple of 'good' suits, which are Zegna - for special occasions. The daily wearers are more like JA Banks.

The rest I don't really care about - work shirts are brooks brothers slim fit non-iron or Banana Republic.
Polos are whatever's on sale - Ralph Loren, Under Armor etc;
Pants - Banana republic or J-crew.
Jeans - 7's, diesels, and I want to try some True Religions.
Sunnies - Maui's or Ray Bans.

The exception is Patagonia nad Arcteryx outdoor gear (shirts, shorts, pants, jackets). I really like this stuff!

The trend here is what's on sale as I don't like paying full price for things. I'm not that into clothes, I'm not particularly trendy and more on the conservative side but still want to look respectable.

mfserge wrote:
It's sad that my daily pen is worth more than my suit, dress shirt, tie, and shoes combined but I am not an apparel guy, I could care less about clothes.

I've been getting into pens recently. I have a Lamy FP and a cross ballpoint. What pen do you have Sergio - let me guess a Mont Blanc?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:47 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 62 posts
sharkman wrote:
Scott wrote:
Okay, I'll play:

Dress shirts: Nordstrom or Paul Frederick, pinpoint, brass aftermarket collar stays. I'll do an occasional button down, but not for real dress.

Dress shoes: Allen Edmunds (A-B width feet, and they'll last forever if you take care of them) Wingtip or cap toe (no clown shoes)

Suits: Flexible, but nice fabric. Hart, Shaffner and Marx works. Mom and Pop store in town sells nice light Italian wool suits. Day to day I'm not fussy but for big meetings, gotta look the part.

Pen: In the office, fountain. Out, lost too many, whatever is in the supply room.

Brothers on Central? Bought a few suits there and use them as my tailor for alterations.

You are correct, sir. Nice-quality suits and slacks, and pretty reasonable.

AP Royal Oak 15400, silver
Zenith Chronomaster El Primero Classic Cars
Vintage gold Corum
Rolex DJ 36 TT, oyster dial, oyster/smooth
Baume & Mercier Riviera 200m, silver dial/aquamarine bezel
Breitling Superocean 57, rose/stainless

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:02 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 0 post
Dress Clothes - Brooks Brothers
Dress Shoes - Cole Haan
Casual Clothes - J. Crew
Casusl Shoes - Sperry

I am a believer in buidling a wardrobe with basic peices that fit great(I have 75% of my clothes altered) and then sprinkle in a few expensive accessories (watch, belt, etc.) to make the whole outfit pop.

8)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:02 am 

Liked in: 33 posts
Scott wrote:
sharkman wrote:
Scott wrote:
Okay, I'll play:

You are correct, sir. Nice-quality suits and slacks, and pretty reasonable.

I bought a dozen or so there. Crazy sales! But the more European cut is not my style. The higher top button, shorter coat length. But they are my go to for alterations of my Internet purchases.

In case my list didn't make it evident, I deplore clothes shopping. Thank God for Internet shopping. It is so easy. In a store my eyes blur over and I approach a catatonic state.

Except Jewelry stores. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:36 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Oh, they have some challenges in fitting me. I'm still primarily a two-button coat guy. I should have added that in my specs. I have a few three-buttons, but my body shape better fits a two.

Vintage gold Corum

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:28 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 20 posts
Tim S wrote:
I've been getting into pens recently. I have a Lamy FP and a cross ballpoint. What pen do you have Sergio - let me guess a Mont Blanc?

Mont Blanc, a couple Cross rollerballs, and a few Waterman ballpoints which write great!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:46 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Before watches (in earnest, anyway), it was fountain pens. Got a Delta, two or three Auroras, a Pelikan, couple Watermans, a Parker Duofold and a Dupont. Daily driver is a Lamy Safari. Always wanted an Omas but never got around to it. Now, I'm probably going to sell the Parker and the Dupont--almost too pretty, just don't use them enough.

Vintage gold Corum

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:18 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Great to know that I'm not the only To Boot NY fan. Great great shoes for the money and not stupid expensive. Also got a few Tods loafers and a pair of winter wingtips with rubber sole that I picked up for cheap at the outlet. Love to bargain shop. I don't believe in full retail for clothes.

I have a Kiton suit that I picked up from a secondhand consignment store for 44 bucks. Charcoal gray 3 button with a roll over lapel with matching no pleat pants. Unbelievable deal. Got it taken in a bit here and there, a trip to the cleaners and fits like an absolute glove.
Love my Rayban New Wayfarers. Also have some Prada Aviators that I rotate.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:48 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

I keep it pretty simple with my sartorial pursuits, although before the watch bug bit me I spent a lot more effort and money on my clothing.

Dress shirts- Charles Tyrwhitt
Ties- Ralph Lauren Polo & Cremieux Seven Fold
Blazers- Hart Shafner Marx
Dress shoes- Cole Haan & Magnanni
Casual Shirts- solid color Ralph Lauren polo's in every shade you can imagine
Casual Shoes- low top sneakers in several colors
Shades-Ray Ban

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:17 pm 
Wild Ling, You Make my Heart Sing!

Im a big Diesel jeans fan. Thats all I wear at the moment. Was into Rock & Republic, but im off that train now.
Also into other Diesel stuff.

Other brands: Energie, G Star, Varvatos, A/X (for that one nice thing you can find there once in a blue moon), and for really cheap stuff, H&M.

I like vintage type t-shirts, so whatever brand that might be im into as well.

I only wear a suit to weddings, funerals, and court (couple of times a year). I only own one that ill actually wear right now, and it was custom made locally.

Shoes: Whatever appeals at the time. My daily wearers at the moment are some all black leather all-stars.

Current shades: Rayban CATS 5000

And anything else I just dont care enough about to bother typing out. Im a t-shirt and jeans guy.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:26 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

That's exactly how I feel about A/X RJ. Most of the time all of their stuff is plastered with tacky logos, graphics, embroidery,etc... I actually like how their button down shirts fit my body. Not too loose, not too tight... Just right.

I like the Emporio line too. Of course the simple non-logo stuff of course. And especially when they have their sales.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:03 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 13 posts
jlee5050 wrote:
Great to know that I'm not the only To Boot NY fan. Great great shoes for the money and not stupid expensive.

Agreed. As much as I'd love to wear Ferragamo and Bruno Magli (shoes in that range), that's just too much for me to justify for a pair of shoes, at least for now :wink: even though the quality is there. Just so comfortable. I'm happy though with To Boot, Magnanni, and Allen Edmonds. I should really buy them more on sale though...

mfserge wrote:
Tim S wrote:

Mont Blanc, a couple Cross rollerballs, and a few Waterman ballpoints which write great!

I'm going to pick a Waterman or MB soon. As much as I like my Lamy as a daily writer, I'm interested in seeing what the difference would be in a step-up quality-wise.

RJRJRJ wrote:
Im a big Diesel jeans fan. Thats all I wear at the moment. Was into Rock & Republic, but im off that train now.

What changed for you? Curious as I'm about to get onto the train.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:29 pm 

Tim S wrote:

RJRJRJ wrote:

What changed for you? Curious as I'm about to get onto the train.

A girl that I met works for Seven Jeans, and she told me that RR had recently been purchased by either Seven or some other company (dont remember) and they were planning on making RR more widely available. Meaning, places like Nordstrom Rack selling their own lower end made in who knows where versions for a lot less money. Basically diluting the brand. I dont know how accurate anything she said was, but it just kind of turned me off.

Diesel has something that will fit anyone perfectly, and I just feel like its a much better quality jean than RR at about the same price point. I do like that the good RR are made in the USA though.

Of course, my opinion is only valid for today :D