The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:55 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 0 post
I read 40-50% and as of now it's at give or take 550 mil so do the math :wowzers

Good luck everyone!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:57 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

RJRJRJ wrote:
BreitLight wrote:
Kustoms4ever wrote:
The only thing is if you take a quick payout I think after taxes you will wind up with around $175 Million.... I could still live off of that!

Nah, it would be much higher than $175m, wouldn't it? 25% flat federal tax and then another 6-9% for your state (if your state even has income taxes)...

Right now its at $640 mil with a lump payment of $462 mil!

EDIT: holy (bleep!)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:57 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 3 posts
It's a flat 25% tax for federal. That is a fact. For state, if you even have income taxes in your state, it ranges from 6-9%. The max you'd hit is about 35% taxes. No idea where you read 40-50%.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:39 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

BreitLight wrote:
It's a flat 25% tax for federal. That is a fact. For state, if you even have income taxes in your state, it ranges from 6-9%. The max you'd hit is about 35% taxes. No idea where you read 40-50%.

Well on the back part of the California Megamillions playslip it stated "cash value: single payment, estimated between 40-50% of the estimated jackpot"...

so I guess it's fair to say that not all of the rest can be assumed "taxes"... maybe fees?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:21 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

jlee5050 wrote:
BreitLight wrote:

Well on the back part of the California Megamillions playslip it stated "cash value: single payment, estimated between 40-50% of the estimated jackpot"...

so I guess it's fair to say that not all of the rest can be assumed "taxes"... maybe fees?

"Estimated jackpot" is the key phrase here. Sure, it's 40-50% of the estimated jackpot, which is $640m. However, you're TAXED on the cash value ($462m). I guess we just had a miss communication here. People buy into that "advertising" of the "JACKPOT" but that "JACKPOT" is only attained if you take the annuity for 26 years.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:42 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

BreitLight wrote:
jlee5050 wrote:
BreitLight wrote:

"Estimated jackpot" is the key phrase here. Sure, it's 40-50% of the estimated jackpot, which is $640m. However, you're TAXED on the cash value ($462m). I guess we just had a miss communication here. People buy into that "advertising" of the "JACKPOT" but that "JACKPOT" is only attained if you take the annuity for 26 years.

Sounds like someone who won before... :poke:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:48 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Nah, it's just a common misconception.

They advertise the jackpot as $640 million, right? However, in order to really get that $640 million, you have to take the 26 year plan. With that said, it's never $640 million...because there are taxes. However, everyone thinks that they can get a lump sum of $640m minus taxes. They fail to understand that the cash option is much less.

So, with that said, cash option less taxes equates to, almost, 50% of the JACKPOT (640m). However, that doesn't mean taxes are 50%. It just means they're comparing taxes on the cash lump sum to the "jackpot" amount.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:38 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

So who won? I won $3! Ha!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:42 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 20 posts
BreitLight wrote:
So who won? I won $3! Ha!

I beat you, I won $4 bucks!! YEA BABY, gonna buy me a new watch........magazine.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:31 pm 
Wild Ling, You Make my Heart Sing!
Wild Ling, You Make my Heart Sing!

I bought a $20 spot. I dont know how it works, but I think I got 3 numbers on one of them.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:11 pm 
All Roads lead to Breitling
All Roads lead to Breitling

Liked in: 33 posts
BreitLight wrote:
Nah, it's just a common misconception.

They advertise the jackpot as $640 million, right? However, in order to really get that $640 million, you have to take the 26 year plan. With that said, it's never $640 million...because there are taxes. However, everyone thinks that they can get a lump sum of $640m minus taxes. They fail to understand that the cash option is much less.

So, with that said, cash option less taxes equates to, almost, 50% of the JACKPOT (640m). However, that doesn't mean taxes are 50%. It just means they're comparing taxes on the cash lump sum to the "jackpot" amount.

This really is simple.

Traditionally lotteries paid out in 20 or 25 year annuities, which means they purchased a a stream of payments by paying a premium. Now they give the option of taking the amount they would pay for the annuity premium, which varies according to the interest rate - the lower interest rates are, the higher the annuity premium. The higher interest is, the lower the annuity premium to produce the same benefit stream. Currently, the price of an 25 year annuity is about 52% of the total of the stream of payments. Whatever it is, that is what you get.

To make it easier, if the jackpot is $100 mil and the cost of the annuity is 50% like it was a year or so ago, you win $50 mil. EVERY single penny of that is regular income subject to the same income tax rates all other non-capital gains are. The 25% is simply amount of WITHHOLDING. Other lotteries withhold 15% Federal. Not much different than hitting a $10k slot in Vegas - the IRS gets withholding before you leave and blow it on a watch. If you won, $330 mil, it would take some good tax work not to owe more than 25% to the Feds.