The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 9:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:19 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 0 post
Galaxy SII is an absolute beast and will blow the iPhone 5's specs out of the water. The SII is on par with the laptop I'm typing this on and faster than the recently released iPad2. I'm an Android loyalist after switching from the iPhone a while back. I just prefer the freedom to do what I want (arranging shortcuts, homescreens, widgets with the weather, news, etc, etc). I just like being able to customize my phone to how I use it vs. a locked in iPhone. IMO the apps are all the same, so that's not really an issue.

There's also something a lot of people overlook, the universal same battery charging port used for every other phone and mobile device is the same with the Samsung. Apple's the only brand that requires you to have a different charger for their devices and being able to easily borrow a charger or USB cord for my laptop while travelling, has really been a life saver on more than one occasion.

One thing I would consider...if you're contract is up, I'd look at Verizon. Their 4G network is extremely stable and lightning fast. I'm getting 20m/b download times on my phone...that's faster than what I'm paying $50 a month for my home cable modem. AT&T is way behind on their network and their advertised '4G' is actually just a tad above 3G and not true 4G speeds. The reason I mention this is, even if you feel you won't use it as much, it's better to lock in 2 years on a network with fast phones and network then purchasing a new phone for a couple of hundred bucks that will be outdated in a few months when AT&T finally opens up their true 4G network and will require you to purchase another upgrade to get the benefits of it.

Another plus for the Android vs. iPhone. Using your phone as a mobile hotspot. That's right, you can use your 20m/b download speeds to hook your laptop or any other portable device to the internet while traveling or just surfing at home. I've used to flawlessly stream HD movies to my laptop while my flight was delayed two weeks ago at LAX and also used it to play online poker while taking a car through Manhattan in gridlock traffic...priceless in my opinion!

FYI - I'm using a Samsung Droid Charge right now on the Verizon Network. Trust me, the samsung super amoled+ screen is absolutely amazing!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:15 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

mboverst wrote:
Another plus for the Android vs. iPhone. Using your phone as a mobile hotspot.

My iPhone is a mobile hotspot.

I agree with the Verizon statements... better than the other carriers I've used.

I am not your Autumn moon, I am the night

-Audioslave

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:08 pm 
Cult of Breitling Leader
Cult of Breitling Leader

Liked in: 4 posts
Thanks guys and mboverst for you input.

mboverst, I totally agree with you on the freedom that the user of a Galaxy (or any other smart phone, for that matter) has over an Apple product. Apple wants to keep you confined within Apple products only, restricting the user from getting other apps or even using a different USB port than theirs. That is the major disadvantage of Apple vs other manufacturers IMO.

Difficult to make a choice though given the options but I think that I'm leaning towards the Galaxy.

- This is Ghost Rider requesting a fly-by. - Negative Ghost Rider. The pattern is full.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:32 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1728 posts
so, made up your mind wich way to go ?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:49 pm 
Cult of Breitling Leader
Cult of Breitling Leader

Galaxy S II most probably. Everybody I asked around confirmed that it is way ahead of the i-Phone. At least for now.

- This is Ghost Rider requesting a fly-by. - Negative Ghost Rider. The pattern is full.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:53 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1728 posts
F14D_Tomcat wrote:
Galaxy S II most probably. Everybody I asked around confirmed that it is way ahead of the i-Phone. At least for now.

it is a great device (say all the techies in my company), tell us how you like it !

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:50 am 
Cult of Breitling Leader
Cult of Breitling Leader

WatchFred wrote:
F14D_Tomcat wrote:

it is a great device (say all the techies in my company), tell us how you like it !

I'm planning to get it in late October because I was told that my provider will have a sale on Samsung products during that period, so I will gladly post something when I get it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:31 am 
Cult of Breitling Leader
Cult of Breitling Leader

Latest report: I've had my G SII for 3 days now and I, literally, cannot put it down. Nights have been really short and I'm happy the weekend has arrived. No, no time for recuperating some sleep. I will use it to add some more apps, copy data from my old SonyEricsson and get to know my device a little better. From what I've already seen, it will take some time before I can use all of its features efficiently.

Up until now, I am a totally satisfied and thrilled customer. :cheer: Absolutely no comparison with my brother-in-law's i-phone 4 which I tested for 1-2 days. Where shall I start? Speed? Battery life? Screen resolution and size? Price? And the best of all: no f*** i-Tunes to depend on or being hassled every two days with updates. :twisted: There is this app which permits to connect your SII directly to your laptop or computer and literally work from there for any kinda file, music, pics, videos etc. No wonder Apple tried to block the sale of the SII in some countries.

And for $30 as a contract renewal, I consider it a bargain.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:03 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Congrats! I knew you'd like it. Just wait, it seems like there's something new everyday you learn about it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:54 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

go and buy samsung galaxy S2, tomcat, trust me...

Breitling Chronomat Blackbird A13050.1 - serie spéciale
Breitling Avenger Seawolf E17370
Breitling Chronomat EVO A13356 - pilot bracelet

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:41 am 
Cult of Breitling Leader
Cult of Breitling Leader

electrosound wrote:
go and buy samsung galaxy S2, tomcat, trust me...

I do. That's why I did.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:46 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

my girl just got a 4s she loves it , but i have had android phones and i think i like them better. i think i might upgrade to the samsung galaxy nexus. the only problem is i dont think it is global ( could pose a problem for some.)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:11 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

was just checking this old thread to pipe in for the galaxy s2, glad you picked it up. I've had mine for a two weeks and love it. i use a lot of google tools and chrome and this phone lets me get a lot done on it, work and personal.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:05 am 
Cult of Breitling Leader
Cult of Breitling Leader

ryanlb wrote:
was just checking this old thread to pipe in for the galaxy s2, glad you picked it up. I've had mine for a two weeks and love it. i use a lot of google tools and chrome and this phone lets me get a lot done on it, work and personal.

I have it for 5 weeks now and I can't put it down. :shock: A real tool "For Professionals". And you know what? You can even use it to make phone calls. :o

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:27 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 2 posts
Forget the iPhone 4!

I have that thing since August, it is a quite good camera, but the worst mobile phone, I ever had.
1. You hardly get a net, except on open spaces. Where my wife has 75% connection with the same provider, I hardly have 25%.
2. I am righthanded, but I usually hold the phone in the left hand, when talking. After a few seconds, I hear a sound like a toiletflush, then the connection is lost.
3. Sometimes, when a call is incoming, I have to sweep across the phone until the incoming call has ended. Then finally it lets itsself be activated.
4. If I want to use the internet with it, I have to visit McDonald's or another place with Wi-Fi. Otherwise, its useless.
5. To activate the iPhone, You need a computer and a credit card. You even need a credit card, if You never download any app from the appstore and You have to give them Your data.(I was told, that that has changed already, but not confirmed)
6. Leave it at home, when You go abroad: You cannot turn it off. The phone keeps using the data conneciton and You will finde a hell of a bill for dataroaming on Your desk, when You come back. You have some chances to reduce it, when You activate the flight modus. Specially deinstall any navigationapps. They are the worst!

Maybe the situation is the same with other smartphones as well, but I am really pissed off by this iPhone and have sworn a holy oath, that I will never buy one again.
Please excuse my bad english, and if You find any spelling mistakes, You may mark them and keep them....

BG
Thomas

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next