The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 7:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:06 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 809 posts
Don't know whether you guys have seen this...

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cycling/arm ... 24qk5.html

It's hard to know what to think. If he's guilty then i have nothing but distain for him; he stole his titles from other riders and he duped the public. But if he is innocent, boy, what an ordeal to have to go through. I'm a sucker at heart; I want him to be a great guy.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:20 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Novacastrian wrote:
It's hard to know what to think. If he's guilty then i have nothing but distain for him; he stole his titles from other riders and he duped the public. But if he is innocent, boy, what an ordeal to have to go through. I'm a sucker at heart; I want him to be a great guy.

Completely agree with all of that, Nov. It all just seems a bit odd to me as he never once failed a doping test. Obviously I don't know the full ins and outs, and there must be a whole lot more to it than we know, but a lack of physical evidence would seem to suggest that striping him of all he acheived is more than a tad harsh! I always thought evidence was a requirement for proof of guilt in the civilised world......

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:41 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 18 posts
Just read about this... absolutely terrible. Considering that all the other investigations have cleared him...I can understand why he gaveup fighting them after all this time so he can spend time with his family.

You would think if they truly did have proof, that they would have nailed him long ago.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:16 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Guilt through accusation - what a great system. The guy has been accused without any evidence (or at least no evidence that has been mae public) for years and years and you can hardly blame him of being sick of having to fight all the accusations. And now simply because he didn't want to kep spending the time, effort and money he is losing everything that he earned - Olympics, Tour de France, records, etc.

Personally I prefer the innocent until proven guilty concept.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:55 am 
All Roads lead to Breitling
All Roads lead to Breitling

Liked in: 33 posts
Look, they had no evidence against him - none - yet Tygart was on a multi-year vendetta with no end in site. Were I Armstrong, I too would have reached a point after several years where I would have said, "Really, just f### off! I'm not wasting any more of the precious time God gave me wrangling with a miserable and relentless dick like you." Who more than Armstrong knows how short life can be? He didn't admit to anything, he simply said I am tired of fighting this witch hunt and I don't give a damn what you do with it.

I don't blame him one bit....except the whole dumping Sheryl Crow thing.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:40 am 
Cult of Breitling Leader
Cult of Breitling Leader

Liked in: 4 posts
Fully agree with Roff and Sharkman.

But the vendetta against him had started quite a few years back by the French who just couldn't bear a f****** American winning in France. Again and again. And when the French anti-dope agency couldn't find or prove anything against him after having tried for years, I'm sure as hell they did everything in their power to revive the whole by contacting their American counterparts.

Besides, if Armstrong is convicted, so should the vast majority of the other cyclists, there has been so many cases since he retired. Those who weren't caught just knew when to stop taking the dope before being caught and in what exact timeframe before the race.

- This is Ghost Rider requesting a fly-by. - Negative Ghost Rider. The pattern is full.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:05 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 11 posts
sharkman wrote:

If it made him happy? then why the hell is he so sad?

Omega Aqua Terra 8500
Rolex Submariner Date Ceramic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:11 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 47 posts
This would be an area I know something about compaired to watches where most of you have it all over me. Obviously I don't "know" anything for sure. However short of being inside his head and actually knowing what he did or did not do I can say with about 98% certainty he doped. On the other hand he has been tested some 500 times and never failed. Whatever happend to innocent till proven guilty? This is a sad day all around. I am no fanboy for lance, but what he did was amazing. There is a fantastic graphic showing the 7 years he won the TdF and the top 9 that finished behind him every year. Can't remember exactly but almost every other top 10 finisher tested positive or in some other way was caught. Hard to belive he could compete clean at those levels...I see if I can find that it really makes it obvious.

In the mean time if you are at all interested this is the best article I have ever read on the subject. A bit long but very worth the read. Don't judge till you have checked it out.
http://www.bicycling.com/news/pro-cycli ... gs-endgame

Be sure and check out the 10 cases as well
http://www.bicycling.com/news/pro-cycling/you-jury

After reading those two I'b be curious to see what you all think. Still he has not been proven to do anything wrong. So he is getting a raw deal in my book.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:18 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 47 posts
Well that did not take long to find. Check out the 2nd year only 2 of 9 clean and they finished 8 and 10.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:30 am 
Cult of Breitling Leader
Cult of Breitling Leader

Liked in: 4 posts
rplace wrote:
Hard to belive he could compete clean at those levels....

That was my point. No athlete can compete at top level without being doped these days. I do not think that it is medically explainable how records are beaten again and again. One part of it may be the equipment used. The rest, IMHO, is what they absorb before, after and during the event. Besides, the frontiers of legality are so thin that they are easy to breach.

The question is not if Armstrong was doped. The question is why him ? And why now that he has retired ? Who's paying Tygart to pull the strings ?

- This is Ghost Rider requesting a fly-by. - Negative Ghost Rider. The pattern is full.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:13 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 0 post
It will be interesting to see what, if anything, we hear from the testimony involved in Johan Bruyneel's arbitration process.

So far, the only things that seem clear about Armstrong are that we really don't know what happened, and that the ADA really wanted to see him lose his TDF titles. I have to wonder about the ADA management, and its allocation of presumably limited resources to races from years long past. I also don't quite understand how they have the right to take away a title from a race that they don't run.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:18 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

sco wrote:
sharkman wrote:

If it made him happy? then why the hell is he so sad?

Hahahahaha :lol: good one

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:57 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 20 posts
Let me all dope, who cares. Personally I loved seeing Barry Bonds all jacked up and hitting 450 foot shots every night. Entertain me, I don't care what they take. Lance is and always will be a 7 time tour champion in my eyes.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:13 pm 
Wild Ling, You Make my Heart Sing!
Wild Ling, You Make my Heart Sing!

mfserge wrote:
Let me all dope, who cares. Personally I loved seeing Barry Bonds all jacked up and hitting 450 foot shots every night. Entertain me, I don't care what they take. Lance is and always will be a 7 time tour champion in my eyes.

Not only that, but if everybody is doing it, its not really an unfair advantage. If Lance was doping, it really only leveled the playing field.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:37 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 20 posts
It's amazing how many tests he passed and never registered a failed test.

I say let em all stick needles up their @$$€$ and see how incredible they can be.