The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 2:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:32 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 1 post
As awesome as watches are, what else do you do to kill time?

I don't get out much as I was one of those crazy people that decided to go back to school. I'm big on water sports such as swimming, diving, fishing, crabbing, sailing, water skiing, tubing; and shooting skeet, pistols, and rifles. I'm also big on home audio and theatre, testing radar detectors, and cars. What about you?

edit: and oh yeah, playing with my rabbit :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:00 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
Mud riddin', trail riddin' & rock crawlin' - I'm in a Bay area Jeep club.

Besides that I enjoy exercise and construction!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:32 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 47 posts
nickzac wrote:
... I'm also big on home audio and theatre...

Like this? Little project that took me two winters to finish off in my bare boned basement. This is all the solid state and HT gear. I don't seem to have any of my tube amps,tube pre, turn table and crazy wall of vinyl. Yes LP records are all the rage in my mind.

I'm also into home brewing in a big way. Typically have 8 on tap randing form a British Bitter or Special Bitter to Bourbon barrel oak aged stouts and porters. Belgian styled beers with all their funk is my favorite to make.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:08 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

rplace wrote:
nickzac wrote:

Like this? Little project that took me two winters to finish off in my bare boned basement. This is all the solid state and HT gear. I don't seem to have any of my tube amps,tube pre, turn table and crazy wall of vinyl. Yes LP records are all the rage in my mind.
[img]http://mantistech.com/klipsch/rpSeatBacks.

I could watch a BB marathon in that joint!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:17 pm 
Wild Ling, You Make my Heart Sing!

Snowboarding in the winter; golfing pretty much all the time.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:58 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 18 posts
I keep busy what with work, time with my wife, church, some computer games and a trying to keep my bonsai alive during the winter :)

As for other hobbies though... I have quite a Scotch collection (predominantly Islay malts having recently travelled there on a distillery trip) and a significant comic collection (mainly Marvel Omnibuses)

Last edited by Dr J on Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:07 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 51 posts
Most of my spare time is dedicated to my family (wife and two daughters). Otherwise e-book reading, computer, listening music (loud, fast and heavy). I also like going to the cinema, espacially open air cinema in summer.
@rplace Your home cinema is awesome!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:21 am 
All Roads lead to Breitling
All Roads lead to Breitling

I pretend I'm a rock god! :lol:

http://www.cheesepuffdeathsquad.com/

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:39 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

rplace wrote:
nickzac wrote:

I'm also into home brewing in a big way. Typically have 8 on tap randing form a British Bitter or Special Bitter to Bourbon barrel oak aged stouts and porters. Belgian styled beers with all their funk is my favorite to make.

Crap that is awesome! I'm still a fan of vinyl given the sound dynamics from it are so different than other mediums. What is on the rack? (my eyes aren't of the best). BTW I'm in Timonium so I'm pretty close to you.

Dr J wrote:
I keep busy what with work, time with my wife, church, some computer games and a trying to keep my bonsai alive during the winter :)

As for other hobbies though... I have quite a Scotch collection (predominantly Islay malts having recently travelled there on a distillery trip) and a significant comic collection (mainly Marvel Omnibuses)

My brother is a photographer and bonsais are one of his favorite things to photograph. They are awesome! (and ridiculously expensive and hard to care for!)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:21 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
I'm big into music as well, although in my case it's portable as I spend so much time travelling. My 'perfect' portable set up is about 2 weeks away from being complete, just waiting on shipping now - DX100 > Whiplash custom digital IC > Jerry Harvey JH3a > Whiplash custom Twag / Twcu hybrid cable > Jerry Harvey JH16 Pros. That probably means nothing to anyone except maybe JacksonStone, but it's going to be a pretty darn sweet setup.

I also ride horses in the summer and race sled dogs (Alaskan Malamutes) in the winter, but right now I don't have a lot of free time because work is ridiculously busy - I've been writing articles / white papers / book chapters / etc as part of my business for a few years but have now been contracted to write my first full book which is due to the publisher in December and is taking up a huge amount of time right now.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:27 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Guys, thanks for the kind comments on the HT. nickzac agree on dynamics of vinyl, just no way to get that in compressed digital format. The equipment changes from time to time that pictue is a bit old but the main amps never change. Four 2-channel Carver TFM-25 amps. They are a bit old, but IMHO still fantastic. That gives 250W X 8; every single speaker in the 7.1 system gets its own private 250 with another 200 for the sub up front. The pre/pro is a Sunfire Theater Grand IV. The DVD player is a Dennon 3800...no blu-ray needed at this time. High end Panasonic projector from back when it was built in 2004/05 but is probably the weakest link now. As soon as the bulb goes I will need a new projector not a bulb. That will put a dent in the watch budget.

Roff, you are right about not meaning anything to me...but it sure does read well and I bet is sounds great. Very cool on the dog sled racing. I seem to remember reading about you having dog(S), but had not idea...neat!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:46 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 62 posts
Okay, I'm officially old and out of it. My B&O Beosystem 6000 sits in storage at home, with no present plans for re-use. The Beogram turntable also sits there. The Dahlquist DQ 10s are long gone, as were the Magnepans which preceeded them. Once upon a time though my Luxman tube receiver was a beast. Fun to see all the "new" stuff.

AP Royal Oak 15400, silver
Zenith Chronomaster El Primero Classic Cars
Vintage gold Corum
Rolex DJ 36 TT, oyster dial, oyster/smooth
Baume & Mercier Riviera 200m, silver dial/aquamarine bezel
Breitling Superocean 57, rose/stainless

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:12 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

^^
Scott, you are not old everything old is new again. Tube amps and preamps are all the rage. My 2-channel listening system for music only has more tubes then a soviet era rocket guidance system.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:31 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 62 posts
LALALALA Not hearing you! This is for my own good. If I have to start looking up old MacIntosh, Luxman or Carver amps, an NAD 3020 for the phono preamp (not even tube but best audio buy probabaly in history) and something exotic with a tangential tonearm, let alone Magneplanars and subs, I may as well sell off the AP now. I'm good //repeats himself numerous times. Plus, no place to put it all. Beautiful setup you have, though.

AP Royal Oak 15400, silver
Zenith Chronomaster El Primero Classic Cars
Vintage gold Corum
Rolex DJ 36 TT, oyster dial, oyster/smooth
Baume & Mercier Riviera 200m, silver dial/aquamarine bezel
Breitling Superocean 57, rose/stainless

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:37 am 

Roffensian wrote:
I'm big into music as well, although in my case it's portable as I spend so much time travelling. My 'perfect' portable set up is about 2 weeks away from being complete, just waiting on shipping now - DX100 > Whiplash custom digital IC > Jerry Harvey JH3a > Whiplash custom Twag / Twcu hybrid cable > Jerry Harvey JH16 Pros. That probably means nothing to anyone except maybe JacksonStone, but it's going to be a pretty darn sweet setup.

Im way too lazy to look all that stuff up, but its sounds pretty crazy. How portable is all of that?