The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 9:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 11:54 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
Just wanted to get a quick opinion or two. I am in the process of finalizing a private sale of nearly new SA (purchased about 10 days ago) and one of the purchase options is to pay the seller through a jewelry store that his buddy owns. Of course he is also willing to take PayPal and other traditional seller options. I've seen the appraisal forms for the SA from said jeweler and everything seems legit and straight forward. He is also including box, papers, and receipt on top of the appraisal. The watch was NOT purchased at that location--rather from an AD somewhere else in the state. Apparently his buddies store is not a Breitling dealer. Anyhow, my question is which would you do? Is their more or less security in paying a jewelry store or does it even matter? Thanks for listening...I'm pretty stoked to join the forum "family"...

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 12:08 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 71 posts
I can't see what in this case you gain from going via a third party and would therefore want the security of a contract of sale direct with the seller rather than some potentially messy situation with each of them blaming the other.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 12:52 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Were are you based USA? Are you willing to share how much your paying for the SA also is the jeweller not willing to drop price if you pay his friend as PayPal charge% were I presume his mate wouldn't

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 2:09 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

I'm in the USA (Missouri). ja51don I think you misunderstood (or it could just be that the original post was not written by me very clearly). The jewelry store that I would essentially be paying is not selling me the watch--they just did the appraisal for the seller. The watch was purchased at a different location than where it was appraised. I have no idea where it was purchased nor what the seller paid. I have not seen the receipt as the seller obviously wants to keep what he paid private during negotiations. Because he is friends with the guy who owns the store that did the appraisal, he offered it as an option to just pay the store. For whatever reason he acted like paying the store may be more appealing or more reassuring to potential buyers in his ad. I can't really see the pros...which led me to ask the forum. I am leaning more towards what TomP said in his above post. Waiving the PP fees by paying the jeweler will not change the negotiated price...the price has been determined regardless of how the watch is sent and/or paid for. Below are his exact words from the ad...

"I could also ship from a jewelry store that you could pay directly for comfort (a friend of mine owns it, not a Breitling dealer if your wondering why I didn't buy it there)."

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 2:41 pm 
Wild Ling, You Make my Heart Sing!
Wild Ling, You Make my Heart Sing!

Are you local to the jewelry store?

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 3:41 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Not local...they are in Georgia...

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 5:03 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 809 posts
I'd be keen for the Paypal protection personally.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 5:47 pm 
Cult of Breitling Leader
Cult of Breitling Leader

Liked in: 9 posts
I think you're right not to see the pros from your perspective. If you pay the jewelry store, you obviously waive any buyer protection you would get through PayPal, you buy from a guy known to be a friend of the seller (meaning he might have a reason to act in favor of his friend and not you), and you increase the seller's profit, since he won't have to pay the PayPal fees. Going through the jeweler is definitely a pro for him, but I can't see how it's at all advantageous for you.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 8:56 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

This seems like a bit of a pain, particularly when you consider the jewelry store still has to pay credit card fees likely in the 2% range vs. Paypal 3% so that's only a 1% savings.

Chronomatic 1461 Bronze, Bronze DP-1
SA White, Diamonds, Pro 2 Diamonds
SA Black, Bentley Rubber
Navi 1461 LE, Black DP-1
Chronomat GMT Silver, Pilot