It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 7:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Fitness advice!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:18 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 7 posts
JAYMAN wrote:
Andrew have you looked on bodybuilding.com site got a lot of info for all age groups ..

im going on 41 im 5ft 7 train everyday weights... bench over 90 kgs .... run 60 odd klmts a week cant get abs... 4 pack an issue... forget 6.... but i have a flat stomache .... and ive trained since i was 17 i once tipped the scales at 96kgs in my 20s i was going to be a body builder but at that height 5ft 7 looked stupid

can i ask do you use a pre work out drink b4 training ...

good luck and keep training ...

Hey Jayman, I'll have a look at the site, cheers. I can't lose anymore weight now, I'm at 12 stone(lost about 1.5-2 stone in 8 weeks) and my stomach is as flat as a pancake. I have the usual upper 4 pack but its the lower muscles I want to concentrate on now so I've downloaded the discs that are mentioned above and going to start on them next week! :D

I'm 36 and around 5' 11". I have been drinking this http://www.maximuscle.com/promaxdiet in the morning and after the gym at night and would say its definenlty helped in getting a bit of definition back but the weight loss has really down to running anything from 6km to 12km a 5 times a week and eating plenty food and veg.

Anyway I've finished the progain now and decided to try this - http://www.maximuscle.com/highprotein/index.html to help maybe bring the muscle on a bit.

By the way, I'm no gym freak but have always kept fit and healthy up until the last 2 or 3 year where I havn't had much time. Hopefully in the next 3 month I'll be put on maybe another stone of muscle which would do me!

Cheers

Super Avenger(White)

Moved on:
Montbrillant Legende(Silver)
Panerai 312

SOHC 125th Ann. LE(Silver)
Navitimer World(Pearl)
Panerai 441

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:49 pm 
Wild Ling, You Make my Heart Sing!
Wild Ling, You Make my Heart Sing!

Liked in: 0 post
andrew692003 wrote:
JAYMAN wrote:
Andrew have you looked on bodybuilding.com site got a lot of info for all age groups ..

im going on 41 im 5ft 7 train everyday weights... bench over 90 kgs .... run 60 odd klmts a week cant get abs... 4 pack an issue... forget 6.... but i have a flat stomache .... and ive trained since i was 17 i once tipped the scales at 96kgs in my 20s i was going to be a body builder but at that height 5ft 7 looked stupid

can i ask do you use a pre work out drink b4 training ...

good luck and keep training ...

Hey Jayman, I'll have a look at the site, cheers. I can't lose anymore weight now, I'm at 12 stone(lost about 1.5-2 stone in 8 weeks) and my stomach is as flat as a pancake. I have the usual upper 4 pack but its the lower muscles I want to concentrate on now so I've downloaded the discs that are mentioned above and going to start on them next week! :D

I'm 36 and around 5' 11". I have been drinking this http://www.maximuscle.com/promaxdiet in the morning and after the gym at night and would say its definenlty helped in getting a bit of definition back but the weight loss has really down to running anything from 6km to 12km a 5 times a week and eating plenty food and veg.

Anyway I've finished the progain now and decided to try this - http://www.maximuscle.com/highprotein/index.html to help maybe bring the muscle on a bit.

By the way, I'm no gym freak but have always kept fit and healthy up until the last 2 or 3 year where I havn't had much time. Hopefully in the next 3 month I'll be put on maybe another stone of muscle which would do me!

Cheers

Both of those products are just basic protein powders. Dont be fooled by the little extras they try and throw in there. Theres nothing inherently wrong with either, id just recommend buying a good quality, inexpensive whey isolate (or isolate/concentrate blend--pure concentrate is cheaper but not as easily absorbed). No point in spending a bunch of extra dough for nothing. This is pretty popular here (and on the bodybuiding.com forums): http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/whey.html Its cheap and has all you really need (not sure what is comparable over where you are though).

In order to build muscle, you need protein. Very simple, no argument from anybody there. Your height and weight sounds okay, so you want to limit calories and excess carbs. Carbs are instant useable energy, but take in too many and youll start putting on weight, just like with excess calories. If you really want to pack on muscle with a full strength training regimen, your body will need about 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight, per day, preferably broken up into 4+ servings (150-170g per day for you). Remember, protein supplements are not mandatory. We only use them because its very difficult for a lot of us to get the required daily protein intake through whole foods (not enough appetite, too many calories etc). If you can get your intake through whole foods, thats always better.

There are some calculators online that can determine how many calories you need per day, so try to figure it out and adjust for yourself. If you want to lose a few pounds, shoot for 100-200 calories below your needs. Also remember that nothing comes easily or quickly if done correctly. A pound of muscle gain or weight loss per month is sometimes all thats really realistic and healthy for somebody who is already in pretty good shape.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:12 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 7 posts
Thanks for that advice RJ it's really appreciated and makes a lot of sense. As I said before I'm no gym freak but I've been going for a lot of years mainly doing CV work and lifting weights but I never use the free weights just the mechanical ones which I like better. The reason I'm trying these shakes are as you said basically that I don't have time to be pissing around with diets and stuff but realise I do need more protein intake to at least gain a bit more muscle which I don't get from the meals I eat through the day. Calories are not a problem cos there's no way I'm eating more than I should.

Typical day food for me at the moment is:

Breakfast: Small bowl of bran flakes/skimmed milk and an orange.
250ml protein shake.

Morning snack: Banana & apple.

Lunch: Homemade soup(Fish, Tomato, Thai chicken etc) and a tin of tuna(drained)

Afternoon snack: Handfull of dried fruit and nuts.

Dinner: Steamed veg(Broccolli, Carrot, mushrooms, tomatoes, pepper, brussel Sprouts) and 1 portion of meat, usually alternating between a breast of chicken, smoked fish or a small steak.

Then at night after I've been to the gym I'll have another protein shake and thats me.

As I said I'm no dietician but all that plus a lot of CV work and some weights has made a massive differance to my bodyshape over the last 8 weeks.

Cheers

Super Avenger(White)

Moved on:
Montbrillant Legende(Silver)
Panerai 312

SOHC 125th Ann. LE(Silver)
Navitimer World(Pearl)
Panerai 441