Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:50 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
Hi all-

Have of any of you heard of swiss watch company reps attending jewelery stores for promotional events? The AD I have I visited often in Columbus, OH has an annual "Designer's Gala" where about 6-8 swiss watch companies are represented through their sales reps (Including Breitling). The event is usually held on a Friday/Saturday in early December.

In past years they offered a flat 20% off, which seems really good for an AD (since I guess they are giving you their "wholesale" pricing). They even offer this discount on items you special order (i.e. items not in stock). I am curious if you would be able call in an order and have it shipped directly to you, which could add the benefit of not paying sales tax...

Any thoughts on how generous this discount from and AD is? I have heard they 10% from and AD is about as low as they would go, but not exactly sure since I heard this from the AD.

I have purchased a Breitling from them during this event last year, but not sure if its worth it to go back for my next one! I have only bought a replacement braclet with them over the phone and not sure if they would accomodate a $3-5k watch sale this way...

Let me know what you guys have heard or experienced relating to this!!!

T B

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:59 am 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Liked in: 343 posts
I was going to buy my breitling in St. Thomas with a 20% discount off of the US retail price. A local AD in Illinois matched that with no questions asked, and offered another 2% off if I paid in cash. From what I've read, 20% seems to be the norm for discounts from an AD, but I'm not an expert.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:02 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
20% is certainly not bad, but I wouldn't be jumping for joy over it either - some careful shopping around at ADs should get you close to that without a special event being required - especially if you are a repeat buyer. You can definitely do better than 10%.

In my experience the special events are more likely to provide free gifts rather than any particular additional discount, although it's never a bad idea to become known as a collector by the sales guy.

As far as discounts on special orders are concerned, I can confirm from personal experience that it is possible to have a watch specially made for the same price as picking one out of the cabinet - although obviously expect to pay a deposit.

Whether an AD will ship to you based on a phone order is largely a matter for them - some likely will, some likely won't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:31 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 0 post
I got 25% off from my local AD without even asking, or haggeling. And paying cash saved me the tax, which when you think about it, was like getting another 8.75 percent off on top of the 25%.
I STILL HAVEN'T GOTTEN MY HAT THOUGH!

Mac

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:54 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Liked in: 18 posts
If ur in Canada, just wait for Boxing Day Sale at La Swiss!!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:58 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
breitlingsource wrote:
If ur in Canada, just wait for Boxing Day Sale at La Swiss!!! :D

Already marked with a very big circle on the calendar. One of the joys of running my own company - my accountant insists that I take the money out before the calendar year end for RRSP limits and things.

Surely it can't be coincidence that Boxing Day sales also come at year end :thumbsup: :canada