The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:45 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
For my first Breitling I've narrowed it down to three (all with steel bracelet):

a) Chronomat Evolution with black face & silver dials & batons
A popular watch with sophisticated detail, can be worn anywhere.

b) Chrono Superocean with black face & silver dials
A substantial watch, with a high side profile.

c) New Avenge Skyland with black face
The largest of the three, chunkier in appearance but without silver subdials. White stenciled numbering gives it a high tech look.

Any one of these would make my day, so it's very hard to decide.
Which would you pick and why?

Thanks in advance.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:06 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Trackerman,

That's REAL easy get the EVO

:fulllingclub:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:30 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Liked in: 18 posts
The Chrono SuperOcean is much smaller than the other two watches... and thinner too. It is actually thinner than the EVO, so i wouldn't say its substantial with a high side profile, at least not compared with the other two.

The Chronomat Evo does wear its size well, however. I would say that the Chronomat Evo and the Skyland are the two nicer choices.. The Evo has such a nice bracelet that based on that alone I think its the better choice. The Skyland is a nice, more utilitarian looking watch though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:18 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Trackerman,

In this particular case Admin is the wrong guy for advice because he buy's Lings every week and has so many that his opinion is tainted due to the fact that he enjoys such variety on a daily basis. You are a guy deciding on your first Ling. My advice would be a Super Avenger because it is a Full Ling and delivers the most Bang For The Buck. However, as you have narrowed it down to the 3 Lings you have chosen it is clear that the EVO is the way to go and is the most Bang For The Buck in this situation even though it is just 3/4 of a LING . If you are not going to get the FULL LING get the best 3/4 Ling which is the EVO. And I would suggest the 2 tone model with the Roman Numerals which can sometimes pass as 7/8 of a LING (in the right lighting). Be warned though because you are about to experience "ALMOST" Full Ling enjoyment and you will be pleased enough to continue to visit Ling dealers and eventually try on a FULL LING. Once this happens and you have overcome the common WIMPYNESS preventing the FULL LING purchase in the first place you will begin to LUST for the FULL LING. The reason for this is usually when you really take a close look at the EXPANSION that the bracelet on a FULL LING 24 MM Lug width Ling has. Then you go back and look at the WIMPY expansion on the 3/4 and 7/8 Ling models with the 22 MM Lugs and realize that you should have just had some BALLS and purchased the FULL LING. Keep in mind that the FULL LING desire will present itself shortly after a misguided 3/4 or 7/8 Ling purchase and will diminish the pleasure that should follow a Ling purchase. It is WISER to always go with the FULL LING first and then if you want to explore smaller models do so later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:13 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

acceldebt wrote:
Trackerman,

In this particular case Admin is the wrong guy for advice because he buy's Lings every week and has so many that his opinion is tainted due to the fact that he enjoys such variety on a daily basis. You are a guy deciding on your first Ling. My advice would be a Super Avenger because it is a Full Ling and delivers the most Bang For The Buck. However, as you have narrowed it down to the 3 Lings you have chosen it is clear that the EVO is the way to go and is the most Bang For The Buck in this situation even though it is just 3/4 of a LING . If you are not going to get the FULL LING get the best 3/4 Ling which is the EVO. And I would suggest the 2 tone model with the Roman Numerals which can sometimes pass as 7/8 of a LING (in the right lighting). Be warned though because you are about to experience "ALMOST" Full Ling enjoyment and you will be pleased enough to continue to visit Ling dealers and eventually try on a FULL LING. Once this happens and you have overcome the common WIMPYNESS preventing the FULL LING purchase in the first place you will begin to LUST for the FULL LING. The reason for this is usually when you really take a close look at the EXPANSION that the bracelet on a FULL LING 24 MM Lug width Ling has. Then you go back and look at the WIMPY expansion on the 3/4 and 7/8 Ling models with the 22 MM Lugs and realize that you should have just had some BALLS and purchased the FULL LING. Keep in mind that the FULL LING desire will present itself shortly after a misguided 3/4 or 7/8 Ling purchase and will diminish the pleasure that should follow a Ling purchase. It is WISER to always go with the FULL LING first and then if you want to explore smaller models do so later.

+1 Try the Super Avenger, Navitimer World, Montbrillant LEgende, first, then go smaller. That's what I should have did, I wasted my money on a Navitimer Olympus, that I don't even use anymore. I might just sell it on ebay or even this site, im not decided yet. But, in any event, go full ling first then go smaller. The Super Avenger is about $1,000 USD less than the Chronomat EVO, but the SA has 100 times more wrist presence than the EVO because of it's sheer size. The only watch that I think tops the presence is of course the Bentley Motors/Motors T since it combines sheer size, with an elegant and classy look. The SA is more of a in your face, sporty watch. Of course this is just my humble opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:40 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Here's a pic to help you out :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:27 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Is the Motors' dial considerably larger than the SA? Or is it just because the Motors dial is integrated with the case and the SA has a detachable bezel?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:56 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 19 posts
Nice pic, admin. :)

Personally I think I'd go for the Skyland Avenger, of the three you've chosen. If it's your first I understand why you want a black dial - it blends with most outfits. But if you go with a Breitling, why not stick out a bit more? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:37 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

defiancekofb wrote:
Is the Motors' dial considerably larger than the SA? Or is it just because the Motors dial is integrated with the case and the SA has a detachable bezel?

Here, I posted a new article last night in the blog comparing the Bentley and the SA. I should have mentioned how thinner bezels give the appearance of a larger watch but I forgot.

http://blog.breitlingsource.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:25 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Admin,

I see that you are posting pics of the White Dial SA. You mentioned that you were going to make a decision on which to keep the Black or the White dial. On the SA the white dial diminishes the color contrast with the silver sub dials. The silver sub dials show up and are much more pronounced with the Black Dial SA. Keep the the black dial SA then you will have 2 Full Lings in 2 different colors. Of course you will probably have at least 3 more new Lings by the end of November anyway so I guess it doesn't matter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:52 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yep... I ended up picking the white dial. I really like the black dialed one but I am considering adding a diamond bezel to it and the white dial works a lot better with the diamonds than the black does. So I will be sticking with the White dial one. Hopefully my Legende comes in tomorrow.. but I dont think I will be getting any new Lings any time soon! The Ling fund has gone dry and needs to be replenished before any more Lings may be bought :(

:cigar:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:05 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 2 posts
I know you have choosen three, but bang for the buck go with a FULL LING first. You'll be sorry you didn't. Besides, there are tons of Evo's running around. Step up to the plate with a FULL LING or go back to the dugout with anything less.

:wink:

~Brian

Post subject: thanks
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:15 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Many thanks for all replies, and especially the pics from admin.

I'm going to take another look a the SA, I had written it off because of the sheer size (just too big a jump for me).

PS, the Superocean is off my list.

Trackerman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:23 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 2 posts
I would go with the Evo. Only model of those, where You can put a pilot bracelet on. And only a Breitlilng with a Pilot or Navitimer bracelet has a longtime happy owner...

BG
Thomas