The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

What do you think about Breitlings Prices?
Overpriced! 20%  20%  [ 4 ]
Spot on! 80%  80%  [ 16 ]
I donate 1000$ To Breitling every time I buy a watch from them just so I dont feel like a crook. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 20
 Post subject: Breitling pricing.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:27 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 71 posts
I love Britlings, and I do think that there are some fair deals available but generaly speaking I find them overpriced a bit, especially the Navitimer series. I believe a 15% reduction in MSRP would boost sales alot, forget about impulse buys with current prices.

As much as it pains me to say it, what with QC problems lately, Service horror stories and Breitling not being a Manufacture I do feel like I am paying an inflated price for the style and name, much more than say with an Omega or Rolex.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:24 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 2 posts
I don't think it's necessarily Breitling's pricing. It has more to do with supply and demand. Breitling doesn't produce as many pieces as other watch makers (Rolex, Tag Heuer, etc.) so naturally prices stay a bit higher. I do think they have some pricey pieces, but they produce a timepiece for many different budgets unlike Rolex, which produces thousands more pieces per year.

I assume most AD's would mark up the product at least 40-45%, not anywhere near the margin a loose stone or other jewelry has. In fairness, I think a 10-15% margin on a piece would be fair unless it's a hard to get piece. I think I paid a fair price for my Navitimer World. It had a sticker on the backside of the certified chronometer tag for 4770 EUR ($6728 USD). I found that to be a little higher than normal. Most of the Navi-Worlds I priced stateside where $53-5500 USD. I purchased mine for $4365 USD (3094 EUR). I would have loved buying my timepiece from an AD, but I just couldn't get the discount I was looking for.

So as for my answer, I would say they are "Spot On" in line with their quality in comparison to others in the market.

As far as the Navitimers being overpriced, I found several Navitimers for $39-4100 USD. The jump drastically occured going to the Montbilliant Datora and the Navi-World.

~Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:30 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 0 post
This is an interesting question. look at the price of a Panerai Chrono using a Valjoux 7750 - average is about £4000-5000 - the same type spec of Ling is a lot less than that and there is no difference in terms of quality. Same watch with a different shape/name - and that's what you pay for. Lings are definitely among the better value for money brands with perhaps only Omega bettering them.

Otherwise it's back to the Sinn, Fortis, Oris types for real value for a brand name.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:25 pm 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Liked in: 343 posts
I would have to include an asterik next to my vote since I haven't purchased mine yet, but I think they are priced right. Like Brian said, there are many options, starting with a Colt Quartz up to the more expensive series. I was looking at a Tag when I originally started looking but for a few hundred more, I figured a Breitling would be the better investment, plus I liked their styles better. I also look at it as sort of a luxury item, so I don't mind paying more for something that you don't see someone wearing everyday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:17 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
I went with spot on.

I don't begrudge the dealer mark up because that is what always has to give to make the sale.

In terms of what Breitling are making we are paying a relatively high percentage of the company overhead with every watch because their volume is relatively low, and that is what creates the exclusivity. Add in the cost of COSC certification, the high quality of materials used in the case, bracelet, etc and I think the price is fair for a product that is produced in one of the world's more expensive countries.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:52 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Liked in: 18 posts
I think Breitlings are priced quite accordingly to their quality and position in the marketplace.

What kind of recent QC problems are you talking about?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:08 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 71 posts
breitlingsource wrote:

What kind of recent QC problems are you talking about?

Discolored dials, hands not ligning up properly, plus what others have mensioned. I find these stories take away from my buying confidence, I have to check the watch very carefully and make sure I have an exit strategy should something come up. Something that I dont do with other brands, not even Tag's!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:24 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 2 posts
If Breitling decreases the pricing, they could not handle the demand anymore. They are absolutely not in the position to supply more watches. The last years I always had problems to get enought Navitimers...

So I would go for on the spot pricing.(What else should I say as AD?)

BG
Thomas

Post subject: Re: Breitling pricing.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:13 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 0 post
Altair wrote:
I love Britlings, and I do think that there are some fair deals available but generaly speaking I find them overpriced a bit, especially the Navitimer series. I believe a 15% reduction in MSRP would boost sales alot, forget about impulse buys with current prices.

As much as it pains me to say it, what with QC problems lately, Service horror stories and Breitling not being a Manufacture I do feel like I am paying an inflated price for the style and name, much more than say with an Omega or Rolex.
WHAT sort of QC problems have u heard about? and service? tell me..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:55 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have not had any QC issues with any of my Breitlings. Any problems that have arisen are from 2nd hand ones and are few and far between, and could be attributed to anything.

Thomas as an AD also stated that Breitling had the lowest problem rate of all his watches.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:41 am 
All Roads lead to Breitling
All Roads lead to Breitling

Liked in: 1 post
When you buy a watch brand, you buy a lot more than bits of steel, glass and leather. You buy heritage, prestige and bragging rights. Pricing of any luxury goods is down to supply and demand. If enough people will pay the price you ask, the company makes a profit. If they won't, they don't. Simple!

Personally, I think Navitimers are significantly overpriced when compared to other Breitlings and comparative models from other manufacturers but they are an iconic model and no doubt sell in vast numbers, even with a list price of over £2700.

Two directly comparable watches are the Ollech & Wajs 44017 Aviation Chronograph and the Sinn 903.

The O&W is made from genuine Breitling parts bought when the original Breitling company went bust at the end of the '70s. It is effectively a NOS Navitimer 806 with a Valjoux 7736 hand wound movement and so cannot be considered as good from either technology or quality standards as current Navitimers. List price is £899.

Sinn own the right to produce watches to the Navitimer design and the Sinn 903 is the basic model. Both the Navitimer and the 903 use the ETA 7750 movement, both have sapphire glass, both are 41mm, both have the E6B slide rule, both have the same sub dial arrangement. But the Sinn costs £1320, less than half the price of the Breitling. That's one hell of a brand premium!

I own a Sinn and believe their quality to be every bit as good as Breitling. But would I rather have a Navi? You bet !!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:24 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I like the Sinn 903 very much.. I've been eyeing it for a while, wouldn't mind getting one to go with my Navi :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:54 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 19 posts
I'd say spot on.

I'm not fully convinced that they are technically worth the full price and as a buyer I of course want to pay less for more...

BUT

I don't mind paying a little bit extra for the craftmanship I believe is built into a Breitling. More important, if prices were lower more people would be wearing Breitlings, and more respectlessly, the brand would lose exclusivity and status.