The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:29 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 0 post
Mark wrote:
Actually you might be interested to know what sort of people wear fakes - I will describe a couple of my buddies from my old forum.

One is a Malaysian multi millionaire businessman who has a collection of over 250 genuine Pateks, Rolex Daytona's and very rare early 1940's Rolex Chronos, Panerais, IWC's etc etc - all his collection except 2 or 3 are solid gold and all in mint condition - worth probably 2 or 3 times this forums collective worth!!! He would easily spend £30,000 on a watch on impulse and he also has a lot of fakes which he wears regularly and is quite passionate about - what do you make of that.

Another is a New York investment banker - on a good year he make $10,000,000 - a bad year a $1,000,000. He has several genuine watches and many more fakes - he cares more about the fakes that his genuine ones and it's not about the money for him!!

Another is a German chap who is a designer for one of Germany's most prestigious supercar manufacturers - he designs the cars but loves his fake Panerai 212.

And others are just young guys who don't yet have enough disposable income to ever buy the real thing so a fake is the obvious answer - and so on and so on. The forum I frequented had over 6,000 members all over the world. I'm only scratching the surface here and with respect to the nature of this forum I will say no more.

I think those people you have been describing have been smoking too much of this

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:24 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 2 posts
Pass the pipe man!

:lol:

~Brian

Last edited by Flynbyu on Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:45 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
The good old subject of fakes rumbles on and on! :wink:
At the end of the day - like so much in life - it's a matter of individual choice. I personally would never wear a fake..... but then that's my choice. I sure as hell can't understand those rich guys that Mark describes - I mean, why care about a fake if you have several hundred originals?? :huh - but then I guess that's their choice too.

It's a funny old world. :)

Site Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:57 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Driver8 wrote:
The good old subject of fakes rumbles on and on! :wink:
At the end of the day - like so much in life - it's a matter of individual choice. I personally would never wear a fake..... but then that's my choice. I sure as hell can't understand those rich guys that Mark describes - I mean, why care about a fake if you have several hundred originals?? :huh - but then I guess that's their choice too.

It's a funny old world. :)

Not that I'm doubting Mark at all, but that seems so bizarre. Especially wealthy individuals. Sure people can be thrifty, but THAT thrifty? Holy cow. Maybe that's why they are doing better than I am! I would consider myself upper-middle class, and I have a great job. I couldn't imagine buying a replica of anything (Unless of course it was well built 400hp P-51 replica airplane!)

~Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:49 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Aha - so what about a nice DAK's Cobra with a decent 427 under the hood (wow a limey that knows his auto's!!!) - still a fake!!

Actually the Malaysians collection I had the very good fortune to see last year - it is literally jaw dropping :mouthdrop: Case after case of the beautiful yellow metal. He has some of the rarest Patek Philippe grand complications that will ever be seen and about 20 1960's Daytonas that are worth a fortune too. I cannot explain why he likes his fakes - for me it was about having an obsession/passion for watches/Panerai that my earnings would not afford.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:07 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Mark wrote:
Aha - so what about a nice DAK's Cobra with a decent 427 under the hood (wow a limey that knows his auto's!!!) - still a fake!!

I've actually seen a few of those. Nice rides if they are well built!

~Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:22 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Brian - nothing but nothing beats a Merlin (even if it's a Packard build!!!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:09 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Mark wrote:
Brian - nothing but nothing beats a Merlin (even if it's a Packard build!!!)

12 cylinders of raw power!

1500 horsepower!

~Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:09 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Da Man!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:17 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Mark wrote:
Da Man!!!

Incredible engines.

Supermarine Spitfire and the Hawker Hurricane. Two of the GREATEST fighters in the European theatre!

~Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:56 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

I was at the Duxford airshow a few weeks ago - they had 4 merlins running up on the ground - the sound was just orgasmic!!

Biggest tragedy for a long time (apart from the P51 at Oshkosh that clipped the tail of another 51 when landing) was the Hurricane UP-W that was the only Battle of Britain survivor which nose dived into the deck on the 15th Sept. Just the week before that I went to see it in a hangar where it was laid up after it's prop got damaged by a runway light that was blown up into the prop. I took a load of pics only for a week later to be a pile of dust - pilot killed - terrible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:34 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

I was just reading an article about the Spitfires that made me sad- said over 20,000 built and less then 50 still airworthy, and only a couple are Seafires!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:25 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

well when I fist started going to air shows as a kid in the 60's and 70's there were only about 2 spits airworthy at all now at least they are fairly common in the show world but Hurricanes are rare and this one that crashed was a BOB survivor - tragic!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:27 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Mark wrote:
I was at the Duxford airshow a few weeks ago - they had 4 merlins running up on the ground - the sound was just orgasmic!!

Biggest tragedy for a long time (apart from the P51 at Oshkosh that clipped the tail of another 51 when landing) was the Hurricane UP-W that was the only Battle of Britain survivor which nose dived into the deck on the 15th Sept. Just the week before that I went to see it in a hangar where it was laid up after it's prop got damaged by a runway light that was blown up into the prop. I took a load of pics only for a week later to be a pile of dust - pilot killed - terrible.

Terrible accident. One was the famous P-51D "Precious Metal". The other the green winged P-51D. I believe it had a Breitling sponsorship!

~Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:06 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Mark wrote:
One is a Malaysian multi millionaire businessman who has a collection of over 250 genuine Pateks, Rolex Daytona's and very rare early 1940's Rolex Chronos, Panerais, IWC's etc etc - all his collection except 2 or 3 are solid gold and all in mint condition - worth probably 2 or 3 times this forums collective worth!!! He would easily spend £30,000 on a watch on impulse and he also has a lot of fakes which he wears regularly and is quite passionate about - what do you make of that.

Tanfoglio?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next