The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 10:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:01 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
I was wondering what everybodys view is of fake Breitlings.
I personally could not wear one anywhere because it doesnt matter how nice it is, and how authentic it looked I would feel cheap inside and I would not express the same confidence in my daily swagger.
Can anyone tell me if these points about fakes are true or not...thank you:
1. Fake watches are usually not waterproof.
2. Fake watches last no longer tha a year.
3. No AD or watch repair service will not touch them if they are faulty.
4. No serial numbers on rear of casing.
5. Websites do not sell new breitlings..no matter what part of europe they say they brought it from.
6. Discolour after water contact.

Last but not least, how good are these fake breitlings getting? are the materials used inside them anymore expensive or stronger than breitling products? are WE the REAL breitling owners getting conned loads of money to buy the same product? Do Fake Breilting wearers feel great that they they dont have to pay for the real deal..or have they no standards?

Your thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:21 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 2 posts
Welcome to the forum.

This topic has been covered several times.

I can't say I'm sick of fake Breitlings. Many people in my area do not know what a Breilting is. There are an abundance of fakes floating around on Ebay and other sites, but there are several quality originals floating around too.

If I was to guess by reading your post, especially the last paragraph, I could almost swear you're considering the purchase of a replica. If my memory serves me, I thought you just ordered a Breitling.

1. Fakes waterproof?
A: I'm not sure, I've never owned one.

2. Fake watches last no longer than a year?
A: I've heard of some fakes lasting a while, but if you had a failure, you're just out of luck. No one will work on them.

3. No AD or watch repair service will touch them if they are faulty.
A: About 99% correct. 100% correct no AD would ever service them.

A: Unless it's a sticker!

5. Websites do not sell new breitlings..no matter what part of europe they say they brought it from.

A: False. There are several trusted websites that sell new Breitlings, none of which are authorized dealers. Most brokers or web sites obtain their products from authorized dealers, and the sources identity is kept secret.

6. Discolor after water contact?
A: It is possible if it's not made from stainless steel.

Q: How good are these fake breitlings getting?
A: They are getting so good, people can still tell they are fakes!
There are higher end fakes in the marketplace, and poor fakes in the marketplace. Nothing replaces or substitutes an original handcrafted timepiece.

Q: Are the materials used inside them anymore expensive or stronger than breitling products?
A: Depending on the quality, some replicas have quality movements that are found in several higher end watches. If you've ever studied a Breitling closely, or visited their website, you'll understand why they are a quality timepiece.

Q:Are WE the REAL breitling owners getting conned loads of money to buy the same product?

A:Which Breitling did you end up going with?

As an owner of three quality timpieces, I don't feel like I was conned out of a load of money. You get what you pay for no matter what you are buying. The only person that gets conned is the person that doesn't realize he or she is buying a replica.

Q: Do Fake Breilting wearers feel great that they they dont have to pay for the real deal..or have they no standards?

A: Again, I can't answer this question. If you own a replica, and know you own a replica, it's not for me to say if you have any standards. In my personal opinion, many seek a replica to gain prestige. Some replica owners eventually end up with an original.

My advice if you are seeking an original Breitling product is to save your money. Do some shopping. Use this website and forum as a tool to educate yourself on Breitling products. You'll be glad you did in the long run.

~Brian

Last edited by Flynbyu on Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:22 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 71 posts
skill wrote:
I personally could not wear one anywhere because it doesnt matter how nice it is, and how authentic it looked I would feel cheap inside and I would not express the same confidence in my daily swagger.

:yeahthat
That pretty much sums it up for me as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:38 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Flynbyu wrote:
~Brian

Unfortunately not true. Many have engraved / etched / stamped serial numbers, although most will have the same serial number on every watch. There are fakes out there now that do have different serials - scary!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:00 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Roffensian wrote:
Flynbyu wrote:
~Brian

Unfortunately not true. Many have engraved / etched / stamped serial numbers, although most will have the same serial number on every watch. There are fakes out there now that do have different serials - scary!

I was looking for a humor in the reply, but you got me! I do know many quality replicas are advanced, but I don't see any of them in my geographic area.

:lol:

~Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:09 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

I saw a kid on my campus, wearing a fake ling, it was like a mutent version of the Mulliner Turbillion. It looked like the navitimer but had the open heart in the middle. I think I threw up in my mouth alittle when I saw this watch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:43 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

defiancekofb wrote:
I think I threw up in my mouth alittle when I saw this watch.

Verp!

(Vomit burp)

Too funny!

~Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:55 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

As a former owner and something of an expert on these let me dispel a few myths.

First and foremost there is no such thing as a Swiss made fake. They are all made in the far east the best ones coming from China. They are made in factories that make genuine domestic brand named watches for the eastern market so use the same or similar watchmaking equipment as the Swiss. Often they will buy a genuine watch then using CAD/CAM create a cloning program which can churn out eg, Breitling cases which is why it's easy for them to make the fakes. Laser cutters make it easy to copy almost any hands etc etc etc. These watches range in price from $120 right up to $1500 for a solid gold cased Frank Muller.

There are also many factories there that churn out absolute crap by the thousands which is what you are referring to and are what most people will find in asian tourist markets - would not fool anyone who knows about watches.

But in the ones that do fool the experts there ometimes there will be irritating differences in some minor detail (maybe the dial printing is slightly different from the genuine piece etc) but most are so accurate even watch dealers would not be able to tell. Most also use a genuine Swiss ETA movt and certainly Breitling Evo's can be had with an ETA Valjoux 7750 just the same as a real one. Panerai fake casebacks, cases, crystals, crownguards are all interchangeable with the genuine ones they are so accurate. Yes they are waterproof as they are made using standard watch materials and manufacturing techniques and higher grade versions all have sapphire glass. Yes they will last just as long as the real thing if serviced occasionally. There are many self trained people out there willing to service these for the fake owners communities (just like this one).

One thing I will say is that on the forum I used to belong to we had a very strict code between us that no one would ever try to pass of their fakes as the real thing. And on many occasions we would "Out" those we saw on the bay as we had an ebay section on the forum just like here. Most of us are just watch mad but could not afford the real thing - the fakes allowed us the chance to have something that looked the part (after all watches are just male jewellery and sometimes the look is more important than the origins and cost - desire is a powerful motive!).

As an amateur watchsmith I am fortunate that I could look after my fake watches and in fact I serviced and upgraded other owners watches for a couple of years as a nice little earner - however having stripped and repaired/improved so many of the fakes I was beginning to get fed up with the faults and minor inaccuracies that I decided a gen was the only option. So my fake collection is almost gone (only sold to pals who know the watches and me - none sold as a genuine item (I do have some morals left) now I am the very proud owner of a CA and have just put a deposit down on a sweet little PAM 024 Submersible with the older T dial and 12 click polished bezel - and that little duo will keep me more than happy - thanks to the fakes!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:36 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Liked in: 18 posts
Congrats on the changeover, Mark! :lingsrock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:09 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

I went to New York in July and my travels brought me to Canal Street. I had the Steelfish on and my friend had a Submariner (we should have been diving!).
In comparison the "expensive" fakes over $100- the fish's weight and size (either too big or too small) was not replicated but the Subs were all pretty good, you could tell that the two tone's material was "Sub"par :wink: but the silver w/black dial was scary good! my friend was pretty bummed. Is it common that Breitlings are not copied as well...yet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:10 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

You will not find any of the high end fakes in Canal Street. There are various websites where the good ones can be bought from but you do need to know who you are dealing with as there are many scam sites about. I mentioned there are several forums dedicated to the subject but I will not say anymore about that here!!

Post subject: fake
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:11 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

there is no excuse for having a fake. how can you wear a watch thats not built to last.

Post subject: Re: fake
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:39 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

skill wrote:
there is no excuse for having a fake. how can you wear a watch thats not built to last.

Not wishing to enter into a fake debate but did you not read my previous post. Some fakes are very bit as well made and long lasting as their genuine counterpart - the only thing missing is the satisfaction of having the real thing!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:54 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Actually you might be interested to know what sort of people wear fakes - I will describe a couple of my buddies from my old forum.

One is a Malaysian multi millionaire businessman who has a collection of over 250 genuine Pateks, Rolex Daytona's and very rare early 1940's Rolex Chronos, Panerais, IWC's etc etc - all his collection except 2 or 3 are solid gold and all in mint condition - worth probably 2 or 3 times this forums collective worth!!! He would easily spend £30,000 on a watch on impulse and he also has a lot of fakes which he wears regularly and is quite passionate about - what do you make of that.

Another is a New York investment banker - on a good year he make $10,000,000 - a bad year a $1,000,000. He has several genuine watches and many more fakes - he cares more about the fakes that his genuine ones and it's not about the money for him!!

Another is a German chap who is a designer for one of Germany's most prestigious supercar manufacturers - he designs the cars but loves his fake Panerai 212.

And others are just young guys who don't yet have enough disposable income to ever buy the real thing so a fake is the obvious answer - and so on and so on. The forum I frequented had over 6,000 members all over the world. I'm only scratching the surface here and with respect to the nature of this forum I will say no more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:39 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Wasn't there a watch that was sold with a fake? Original and fake in the same box, or did i dream that Image :lol:

Sherlock :D

Seawolf Avenger
Omega Sea Master
Tag 2000 Classic