Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Windrider Blackbird
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:01 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1 post
As I am planning to get a new timepiece withing the next couple of weeks, I have had my eye mainly on the Cockpit. The main reason is that it's such a handsome looking piece, and for me extremely practical (ha-ha, try telling that to one of your best friends who would never pay more than 200 bucks for a watch), as it has the larger date display which I can read without my glasses. I have looked at just about every watch on the Breitling website, and another that really intrigues me is the Blackbird. However, I can find really very little information about it. It does cost about $2000. more than the Cockpit. I actually saw one today, and it does look incredible. The bracelet is a "Blackbird special", with a faceted profile, which does look outstanding. The face is brushed and the sides are polished. Anyone own one? It is, of course, a bulkier watch, but very distinctive and also has the large date display.
Would appreciate any info on this model, with some idea of what the different functions are.
I can hardly sleep at night, waiting to get the new watch!
Cheers,
Carl :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:57 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 2 posts
The Blackbird is a SWEEEEEEEET looking piece!

~Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:51 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Liked in: 18 posts
I love the new blackbird.. beautiful watch, however, I feel that the Chronomat Evo has a nicer looking dial. The Blackbird is nice with the big date though!

You could also check out the Breitling for Bentley 6.75 with big date :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:57 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

breitlingsource wrote:
I love the new blackbird.. beautiful watch, however, I feel that the Chronomat Evo has a nicer looking dial. The Blackbird is nice with the big date though!

Big price difference between the Blackbird and the Bentley, but after all you are getting the FULL LING with the Bentley!

:thumbsup:

~Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:03 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Liked in: 18 posts
One of the things about the Blackbird is that it is all brushed, so it is very understated on the wrist. I like that, but i'd rather have a polished Ling first.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:12 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

breitlingsource wrote:
One of the things about the Blackbird is that it is all brushed, so it is very understated on the wrist. I like that, but i'd rather have a polished Ling first.

Agreed. I love the polished look on a B-Ling. It was one of the positives for me when I was buying mine.

~Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:34 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
I tried on a Blackbird a few weeks ago at a jewellers (not my usual AD as it happens), and much as it kills me to say it, I was a little disappointed by it! I'd obviously seen the blackbird a load of times in the Chronolog (and drooled over it a fair bit too!), but when I actually put it on it just looked a bit "ordinary" to me. :(

If anything I'm secretly quite pleased as I was worried I'd have to buy one AS WELL as a Chronomat Evo! :wink:

Site Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:52 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

I'm suprised to hear this, especially since the Blackbird and the Chrono Evo are from the same series (Windrider), based on the same platform.

I think I'm starting to lean more toward the AeroMarine series over the Windrider series. I like the thickness of the AeroMarine series pieces!

~Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:56 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 71 posts
The Blackbird is nice but the Chrono Evo is amazing. The dial and polished steel really give it that extra pizzaz.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:23 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Altair wrote:
The Blackbird is nice but the Chrono Evo is amazing. The dial and polished steel really give it that extra pizzaz.

Ah, now I see.

The Evo is polished, the Blackbird is brushed.

My bad!

~Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:13 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

breitlingsource wrote:

I really am for the big date! The Bentley would be out of my price range, though, so either the Blackbird or Cockpit. I am not much for getting a watch like the Blackbird for just show, though I likely would if I new about, and used all the functions.
I might go for the Cockpit with a leather or rubber band. When I got my SuperOcean back from being serviced and having the bracelet replaced, I am thoroughly impressed with the rubber bracelet I had put on. I can always spend the $400+ dollars later for the steel one if I like. I really love the way this watch looks with the rubber band, have to hand it to Breitling: Even with a rubber band, they still manage to come up with a class act! The band is nice and thick . in keeping with the beefy body of the watch. The nice rather large steel clasp with Breitling logo is also very appealing.
Cheers,
Carl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:44 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Flynbyu wrote:
I'm suprised to hear this, especially since the Blackbird and the Chrono Evo are from the same series (Windrider), based on the same platform.

~Brian

Altair wrote:

Altair's hit the nail on the head for me. The Blackbird is still a very nice piece, but for once I just thought it was one that looked better in the pictures than in the flesh (or metal!). I just thought the black dial and brushed case was a little too understated for me. (After all, the Evo I'm after is the one with the rose gold bezel, black dial and rose gold roman numerals on a black croco strap, so I guess the Blackbird probably WOULD look a little understated compared to that! :) )

Site Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:10 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
carlhaluss wrote:
I might go for the Cockpit with a leather or rubber band.

To me that would detract from why I bought a Cockpit in the first place. As others have said the Blackbird's brushed finish is understated, but if you take the pilot off of the Cockpit in favour of leather or rubber then you are turning that into a much more subdued watch as well.

Post subject: Bentley 6.75
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:27 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Well, thanks everyone for all the comments. As it turns out, I got my 10-year-old SuperOcean with new rubber bracelet instead of metal back from the restore, and it looks great. I was planning on trading it up to a new Cockpit, but after seeing the Blackbird, and now wanting to see a Bentley 6.75 with copper dia, I am gonna wait till the new year, when I can then afford to really get what I set my mind on. The Bentley would be a complete change from the SuperOcean, and that whole look, and I really like the idea of a copper or brownish dial instead of black or grey. Plus the 6.75 also has the large date numerals in common with the Blackbird and Cockpit. So, we shall wait and see. I am searching for any comments by owners of B for BReitling 6.75
cheers,
Carl