Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Problem with my SA
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:21 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 0 post
Hello I recently purchased my SA from a AD and I am just notice a problem with the chronograph hour hand. When I reset the chronograph the hours hand doesn't completely land on the 12. Now I am not certain this is actually a problem but you decide.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:53 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

I just got my SA on Aug 17. Pretty new as well. Sorry to say, but mine is spot on! Used a 14x loupe and it was straight up. I tried to get some good pics but my camera will not get that close up. I am working on a review of my new watch winder and will post pics there. It is as close as I can get but you can see that it is straight. I hope you AD takes care of this for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:57 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

chance97 wrote:
I just got my SA on Aug 17. Pretty new as well. Sorry to say, but mine is spot on! Used a 14x loupe and it was straight up. I tried to get some good pics but my camera will not get that close up. I am working on a review of my new watch winder and will post pics there. It is as close as I can get but you can see that it is straight. I hope you AD takes care of this for you.

I knew it because on my MBO it also is lined up on the spot at 12. :( I hope the AD will remedy the situtation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:01 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

I wish you the best on getting it fixed. This is about the closest my camera can get.

Post subject: Re: Problem with my SA
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:12 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

defiancekofb wrote:
Hello I recently purchased my SA from a AD and I am just notice a problem with the chronograph hour hand. When I reset the chronograph the hours hand doesn't completely land on the 12. Now I am not certain this is actually a problem but you decide.

This is a pretty easy fix for a watchmaker, we just have to remove the hand, and place it back on 12. I does probably have to go back to BSC, so it might take a while before you have your watch back (I don't know how long they take on warranty repairs).
Good luck, and keep us posted!

Vanessa

Post subject: Re: Problem with my SA
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:14 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Liked in: 18 posts
Watchmakeress wrote:
This is a pretty easy fix for a watchmaker, we just have to remove the hand, and place it back on 12. I does probably have to go back to BSC, so it might take a while before you have your watch back (I don't know how long they take on warranty repairs).
Good luck, and keep us posted!

Vanessa

Vanessa, it really has to go to Breitling just to re-align the hand? I know the AD's here usually do almost everything in-house.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:24 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

If they have a watchmaker with a parts account, they can do it at the store, but if not, they'll have to send it. The problem with this hand is, that I might have to be replace with a new one, because the hand-post might not have enough tension left when removed once. If your AD can get those hands, he or she can definately do it at store-level, otherwise I would recommend you demanding for it to go to Breitling...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:39 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Liked in: 18 posts
Ah, thank you for that explanation Vanessa.. starting to understand more about the replacing/fixing of parts and stuff :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:53 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

You're welcome!
I know it must be hard to understand for people, why repairs take so long, and why can't we do it right away, and if it's an easy fix, why do you need to keep it for a week, and all that stuff! Unfortunately it is more complicated than that most of the time. There are so many little parts in a watch, and especially the 7750's, that one little fix for one adjustment might throw of another setting, and needs to be completely recalibrated, and kept an eye on for at least a couple of days to make sure everything still runs the way it should.
If we (watchmakers) would give you watch back in an hour, and next day it's running 20 seconds slow, you're going to be mad at us! If we keep it for a day, we'll notice this ourself, and can deal with it appropriately.

What I think is the most comical, is when people tell me: "but it has been running 15 years without any issue, and it just stopped yesterday, so there can't be much wrong with it!"
And if I ask them when it was the last time it received a service, they always are proud to say: "it never needed one, because it was running just fine!"
You know, a car will run for a while without oil as well, but once it breaks down, you're in real trouble! Same with a watch, people just don't get it!

I'm sorry, am I rambling? I 'll let it go....

Vanessa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:47 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Hey Vanessa,

Just wondering what a watchmaker uses as a master clock to set others by and to check for appropriate time keeping?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:29 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Just a regular quartz, digital clock from Walmart....
The reason being, that the mall I work doesn't have a signal strong enough to reach an atomic clock. And it honestly doesn't matter, as long as that's the only clock I look at to check timing....
Have you ever noticed, if you have an atomic clock at home, that the time on that, compared to your pc, compared to your cell phone... they're all different! :huh
So if you want to check timing on a watch, make sure you only look at one and the same clock all the time, because that's the only way you can check for accuracy! And then know that a quartz can also be off a couple of seconds a month, so you have to be careful there as well. You know, time is such a relative subject... Honestly I have no idea of the accuracy of my own watches, I have never timed them, and I honestly don't care if they're "on the second".

Vanessa