The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 1:56 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 37 posts
I'd just like to say that I really like the look of these. They look like what Breitlings core watches should look like.

The bezel has echoes of the old Chrono Superocean calibre 13 or Superocean cal. 17 42mm, the extra bevel on the lugs, simplified dial.... It's all good to me!

My favourites are the blue dial and steel model
and also the black ceramic night mission... which seems to take some influence from IWC top gun (another favourite).

Nice one Breitling!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 6:48 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
I generally like them, but, as ever, I have pros and cons with this release. (I'm only concentrating on the chrono version here).

Pros -
- Great to see the B01 in the Avenger line.
- The 6 o'clock date position.
- The ceramic, forged carbon dial, Night Mission model looks great (especially with the numerals on the dial).
- Not too much of a departure design-wise from the old model.
- All pretty decent colourways.

Cons -
- The biggest issue for me (and it over-rides all the pros TBH) is the size - it looks very big when I took a screenshot and sized it 1:1 on my phone. Personally I'd like to see more B01 chronos in the 40-42mm range these days.
- The models with batons look like there's a lot of empty real estate on the dial. In fact, I'm not a fan of Breitling's drive towards dial simplification, and function/spec reduction, in general. Kern himself has said the Avenger is now “sporty chic” and “less aggressive” than the previous versions. To me, that kind of thing just make Breitling more like any other fashion brand instead of the niche aviation-focussed brand of old. I know brands sometimes have to diversify or die, but the whole “Instruments for Professionals” thing was what first attracted me to Breitling, so I’m still sad to see that go.
- I was hoping the "filler" between the lugs (like on the old Chrono Avenger) would be brought back as that used to help prevent unsightly gaps when wearing the watch on a strap.
- Not a deal-breaker this one, but I would've quite liked the Wings logo to have remained for the Avenger line.

I was really looking forward to this release, and I DO like it quite a bit, but the size is the killer for me as I'm much more into smaller, thinner watches these days - 40-42mm diameter, sub-50mm lug to lug, and a thickness of no more than 13mm or so.

Obviously I'll have to see it in person, but initial thoughts are "fairly nice, but too big".

Site Moderator

Hunterfate likes this post.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:37 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 14 posts
I also have strong pros and cons (and a "neutral") towards the renewed Avenger collection.

Let me begin with the
cons:
- the deal breaker for me is the size. I'd be happy to see Breitling chronographs in the 40-41 mm range. Not only because nowadays (fortunately) a re-sizing turn from the over-sized watches seems to be alive but for small-to-average wrists like mine (17 cm) does not take up larger watches for everyday (=office) use. This size would come of course with a matching, shorter lug-to-lug size (under 50 mm) and a bit thinner case (keeping at least 200 m WR) and these are also positive changes.
- I'd also be way happier with a day-date featured ETA 7750 (cal. 13) version added as an option to the B01 in the mentioned 40-41 mm size. Breitling offered (partly offer) a choice of chronographs with both calibers (I mean the Aviator 8 and the SuperOcean Heritage) and that is a good thing. Lots of persons need the week-day feature on their watches, me too. So far the smallest swimmable (=min. 100 m WR) day-date chrono with turning bezel used to be 42 mm (the CSO), while other manufacturers offered such from 38-39 mm. Sweet spot for many is 40 mm. Now this offer from Breitling is at 44 mm with a long lug-to-lug distance.
- B01: 1. functions: the very best would be a decent additional weekday feature and with a central 60-minute counter. With that, a weekday feature with a sub-dial at 3 could be beautiful and make a symmetrical dial. Without the centra minute counter a co-axial subdial week-day indicator at 6 would be also nice. The most traditional dial would come with a Valjoux 72C layout... :) and the very best would be a fly-back feature upon all these... :) I know that caliber complications development costs a fortune but these are "small complications" and nothing to invent from scratch, they can be even outsourced. 2. Escapement: AFAIK the silicone parts patent has already expired and so Breitling can (and should finally) catch up with the main competing brands, resulting in higher antimagnetism and even better daily rates, with using a balance bridge instead of balance cock further enhancing the rates. Of course these upgraded movements could/should also be used for other Breitling watch collections.

And now the
pros:
- case design is perfect.
- bezel design is perfect, with 0-60 count-up engraving.
- bidirectional bezel is the way to go: easier and quicker use with less ratchet mechanism use and thus longer ratchet lifetime - and this is not a hardcore diver's watch.
- chrono pusher design is highly welcome: not as prominent as the earlier round design, while seems to be a little bit less prone to take up hits, that is these pushers are more defended from smashes.
- brushed surfaces with only a touch of polished elements.
- nicely integrated date at 6.
- quick-micro-adjust clasp with double pushers (I do not know the exact micro-adjust range but it can be around 10 mm or more, that is long enough to use it 4 seasons without taking or adding a bracelet link twice a year.

And a
neutral:
- "B" instead of the wings: I like both and have Breitling chronographs with both (2 Grand Premiers with the "B", Chronomat 41, Steelfish Chrono and Aerospace Avantage with the wings). I don't mind a tad more "empty" dial but with the mentioned smaller watch case the dial would look less "empty" with the "B".

Summary: a very promising renewed modell family, waiting for the 40-41 mm version with the day-date 7750! (Blackeye-Blue for me...)

Sorry for the long post...
Best,
Robert

Hunterfate likes this post.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 6:08 am 
All Roads lead to Breitling

Liked in: 33 posts
Hey guy, how you been? I was at my AD picking up a Chronomat GMT on the 31st. The owner, I won’t mention the AD name, brought out the new aeromarine line for me to look at a day early. I was fairly impressed. I really liked the “sand” dial on the one new Avenger Chrono. Sadly, I have long since written off watches of that size. Definite upgrade for the line tho.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 6:18 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
sharkman wrote:
Hey guy, how you been? I was at my AD picking up a Chronomat GMT on the 31st. The owner, I won’t mention the AD name, brought out the new aeromarine line for me to look at a day early. I was fairly impressed. I really liked the “sand” dial on the one new Avenger Chrono. Sadly, I have long since written off watches of that size. Definite upgrade for the line tho.

Wow, here's a name from the past! This thread was the first time I'd logged on for months, so it's good to see you around Sharky! :thumbsup: Just need Roff to put in an appearance now. :lol:

Site Moderator

56scooter likes this post.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:51 am 

Liked in: 33 posts
Driver8 wrote:
sharkman wrote:

Wow, here's a name from the past! This thread was the first time I'd logged on for months, so it's good to see you around Sharky! :thumbsup: Just need Roff to put in an appearance now. :lol:

What’s up Driver? First time here in a long time for me. I’ve been more into bang for the buck pieces these days. Like Mido, Lorier, Baltic, Formex, Longines, Hammy, even an Rado, etc. But I fell in love with the British Racing Green dial Chronomat GMT. And I never had a bullet bracelet before. Oh well. And a GO PML still has a spot on the winders

I have been in contact with Scott.

I guess the Caribbean has Roff now.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:21 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 74 posts
Saw the new 3 hand Avenger at my AD last week. Size was nice at42 mm, great brushed case and bracelet. Thin profile and the new micro adjust ratchet clasp were pluses. No wings though :( .

Anyway didn’t purchase but saw this in the used case, just back from Breitling full service. Had to have it, been looking for one of these for many years…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:15 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 20 posts
sharkman wrote:
Driver8 wrote:
sharkman wrote:

What’s up Driver? First time here in a long time for me. I’ve been more into bang for the buck pieces these days. Like Mido, Lorier, Baltic, Formex, Longines, Hammy, even an Rado, etc. But I fell in love with the British Racing Green dial Chronomat GMT. And I never had a bullet bracelet before. Oh well. And a GO PML still has a spot on the winders

I have been in contact with Scott.

I guess the Caribbean has Roff now.

Whoa look who made an appearance back on the bsource!! Hope all is well. I recently picked up the new Avenger Night Mission, amazing piece. Finally a ceramic Breitling, never thought I’d see the day. Wish it was slightly smaller but still loving it none the less.