The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:37 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1 post
Just checking out the Breitling website. I'm planning to get a Cockpit soon, steel with grey dial and stainless steel pilot strap. However, I happened to be glancing at the various models. and the White Gold Limited Edition with Bronze Dial and Croco strap really caught my eye, too. I am wondering if anyone has seen one of these, and any idea what the price is. It really is spectacular looking, and different with the bronze (I think it looks more brown) dial, but these never look the same until you see them up close and for real. I was absolutely mezmerized by the one at the local shop today, with the grey dial and stainless bracelet.
I also went and looked at a Rolex watch, which also impressed, but I am not crazy about that "eye" that magnifies the date. I much prefer the enlarged date on the Cockpit. I figure that if there is going to be a date, I should at least be able to read it without putting my glasses on (God, am I really that old?!!!). That is one reason I favour the Cockpit.
Another thing Ilike about the Breitlings is the raised bit along the bezel, I don't know what it is called, that holds the numbers (15, 30, 45). It really protects the crystal. My SuperOcean is over 10 years old, while the case and bracelet have some scratches, the crystal is spotless. I work in print shop, and am constantly digging inside of printers, clearing jams and doing minor repairs, and over the years the crystal has had no scratches at all.
Anyway, comments will be appreciated.
Cheers,
Carl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:34 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Liked in: 18 posts
Don't get a gold watch if you are going to be digging around in printers.. gold is much more softer than stainless steel and you might make some big dents in it.

The grey dial Cockpit is amazing... it has the most balanced look. Everyone that has seen mine loves it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:10 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Thanks for the advice about the Gold - I never thought about that aspect of it being soft. The Cockpit I saw at the AD here yesterday was amazing. Just with the Grey dial and Stainless Bracelet. I love the brushed aluminum bezel, as well, it kind of brings the dial and the rest of the watch together better than I think a polished bezel would.
Thanks.
Cheers,
Carl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:36 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Breitling doesn't do the polished bezels anymore.. the old chronomats used to be but no more.

Oh yes, and it is stainless steel bezel, not aluminum :)

My dad also has the grey dial cockpit on pilot bracelet and he loves the big date for the same reasons as you... easy to read at his age.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:27 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I don't know what made me say aluminum. Anyway, interesting to know all the bezels are brushed metal.
Sorry to ramble on and on, but it's nice to have some people who listen and have an interest - or, should I say obsession - with watches.
At any rate, I am not one to wear or possess a number of watches. I want my next watch to be the one I possibly keep for the rest of my life. That was the idea with the Superocean when I purchased it in 1997. It is being totally refurbished now, and the bracelet needs to be replaced so I am going with the rubber one for now. It is still an outstanding watch, but it's time for an upgrade. The bracelet did last for 10 years, so I am not complaining. For the Professional 1 bracelet, that is quite good I understand. I wore that watch constantly every day for 10 years.
I also have my eyes on an Omega Aqua Terra Railmaster, that is my second alternative to the Cockpit. It is a very simple watch, with no date at all, which attracts me to it for some odd reason. I like the simplicity, with a black dial and brown croc bracelet. Also the new coaxial technology is appealing. The only thing is, I just don't know if it will be as durable as the Breitling Cockpit. The only reason I am throwing all this info at you, is to get a candid opinion. I am even thinking of a leather or rubber strap if I get the Cockpit, as I am not sure if the whole polished steel look might be a bit flashy. I have really never seen anyone wearing one, so that might be something you could give me an opinion on as well. I personally think that the grey dial cokpit would look great with any combination of bracelet.
That's about all for now. I appreciate very much your listening to me and your comments.
Cheers,
Carl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:18 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Did you try on the one at Time & Gold? I dont think the shiny bracelets are too flashy.. they don't seem to draw too much attention. My dad is happy with his and he's older, just turned 60. He's kind of a suit and dress pants kind of guy. Not a jean wearer.

The Railmaster i find a bit too boring for my tastes. I suppose if you just want an accurate unassuming watch with a reliable movement the railmaster does the job, but Breitling's have so much more personality! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:52 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I did try the one at Time & Gold. That store is really a class act! I can't imagine buying a watch anywhere else. Anyway, after careful consideration I can't imagine getting the Cockpit with anything other than the Pilot bracelet. Thanks for your opinion, I think I would get a bit bored with the RailMaster. I never got bored with looking at my SuperOcean after 10 years. Often days I would just look at it on my wrist and admire it. It will be back from the AD next week I hope, sporting a brand new rubber bracelet. Now I just need to decide when to get the Cockpit!
I'm about the same age as your Dad, I will be 58 this month. I still wear jeans a lot, but dressier clothes as well. I always found that the Breitling was appropriate for any occasion. Thanks again for the input.
Cheers,
Carl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:24 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
I couldn't live without my Cockpit - it's a watch that you can wear for any occasion - smart or casual. No matter how many Lings I end up with a watch like it will always have a place in the collection simply because of the flexibility it offers.

Only way I would get rid of it would be if it was replaced with a similar model like a Headwind.