Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Breitling finishing
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:23 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 71 posts
First off, I hope this post does not offend anyone, I consider myself a supporter of the brand I think Breitling outperforms when it comes to designs, heritage, and in many aspect relative value. But I have to say I have always found Breitling case finishing to be disappointing, especially as I became more exposed to the finer details of watchmaking. I had a Transocean in RG which I loved for a long time, but after acquiring watches from the likes of JLC and IWC, often at a similar price point or close enough for the RG versions, I would notice that the Breitling finish just didn't do it for me anymore. The distortion in the polished portions especially annoyed me. I compared my Navitimer case finishing to an Omega PO and a higher end Seiko and they both where superior..

Some brands, such as Roex, even have a clear tier structure when it comes to finishing, in fact one of the main reasons I sold my Pepsi was the subpar case work, while my Sky Dweller is nothing short of perfect for its price point. Now that we have new management at Breitling, and an IWC vet at that, I am hoping they address this issue in addition to the great work done to steer Breitling back to its heritage.

I would be interested to hear from Fred if there are any plans, as well as other surviving forum members if this has ever been an issue.