Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Changing straps
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:08 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 0 post
I want to swap the steel bracelet on my super avenger and super ocean heritage for leather ones.
I’ve found good quality ones from a place called condor straps which would save me a few hundred pounds.
The only difference would be they don’t have the Breitling logo on the buckle.
What’s people’s opinion on this ?
Would you rather pay the extra ?
I can’t decide.
For a buffalo leather and crocodile leather from condor the total is £48 for both.
Not sure the croc prices from Breitling but I know it’s £170 for a smooth leather, I’m sure a croc adds a few hundred.

Post subject: Re: Changing straps
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:21 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 730 posts
It’s what you’re comfortable with, there are many recommendations from other members who have their favourite non Breitling brands. I like Hirsch, they do some nice embossed croc straps and they’re good quality. You can often find used buckles on eBay but watch out for the fakes. Buying cheaper straps means you can buy more and swap them out as the mood takes you. Search this forum for strap recommendations and I’m sure you’ll find some sound advice.

Citizen Eco Drive AT4000-02E (for gardening)
Seiko 5 SNZG15J1
Hamilton X Wind LE

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:54 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 74 posts
My opinion is put whatever strap you like on it. I often swapped out the bracelet and put third party leather or other straps on my Breitlings. In fact my last Breitling calf leather strap has the buckle swapped out because the Breitling tang buckle has an interior sharp edge that cuts into and destroys the leather/ thread quickly.

On the flipside, I like their black rubber with the ratchet deployant clasp and use that on many other non Breitling diver watches I have. So, I say use whatever you like that fits comfortably and enjoy it!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:56 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 52 posts
It's your watch, so you get to decide if you want Breitling strap and clasp, or if you want to explore other options.

To me, I don't wear my watch to impress anyone, I wear it because I like it. I don't care if the inside of my strap says Breitling or not. (I actually have a rubber strap where the outside says Breitling, and I've stopped wearing it because it's too flaunting for me. But I'd also never wear a Breitling hat for the same reason.) For my values, I think the OEM deployment buckle and straps cost more than I think they are worth. I bought a couple OEM replacement straps in the first decade of owning my watch, but now I buy handmade straps for 10% the price of OEM that are 90% as nice as OEM. I now have five different colors/materials of straps for my two watches, including a red lizard skin and a green crocodile straps that I wear at Christmas. Turning to other vendors has been liberating to me, and given me more options that I was willing to purchase back when I bought OEM straps. I'll probably never buy another replacement leather strap from Breitling. I'm not knocking people who do, I've just decided what's right for me.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:15 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
For some reason I've personally always liked OEM straps on Breitlings. I'm not sure why as I've used straps by ABP Paris, Mays Berlin, and Dangerous 9 (amongst others) on other brands, and they've been great.... but for some reason I just like Breitling on OEM. But that's just me and YMMV.

The problem I found, at least in the past, was that Breitling straps were always of such great quality it kind of spoils you unless you're prepared to pay almost Breitling-OEM-prices to get something decent aftermarket. For example ABP make amazing custom straps, but their prices can be OEM level. I'm not sure what the latest OEM straps are like as I've not bought a new Breitling for some time, but they look a little thinner than the straps from a few years ago.

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:50 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Driver8 wrote:
For some reason I've personally always liked OEM straps on Breitlings. I'm not sure why as I've used straps by ABP Paris, Mays Berlin, and Dangerous 9 (amongst others) on other brands, and they've been great.... but for some reason I just like Breitling on OEM. But that's just me and YMMV.

The problem I found, at least in the past, was that Breitling straps were always of such great quality it kind of spoils you unless you're prepared to pay almost Breitling-OEM-prices to get something decent aftermarket. For example ABP make amazing custom straps, but their prices can be OEM level. I'm not sure what the latest OEM straps are like as I've not bought a new Breitling for some time, but they look a little thinner than the straps from a few years ago.

I ended up ordering from the other site.
The croc strap was £20
It’s £500 from Breitling

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:35 pm 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Liked in: 343 posts
I’ve always stuck with OEM straps because I knew was I was going to get. I know there are great strapmakers out there and plenty of reviews, but no matter what, I always went OEM, even when I had my Panerai with the abundance of strapmakers out there for those.

Right now, I have 2 OEM rubber straps and also 2 of ECONYL straps that I really like. When I have my Airborne, I’ll put that back on the brown Drakkar calfskin that looks amazing on it. The rubber edging is starting to peel but I’ve had the same thing happen when I had some OEM IWC straps. I’m hoping to add the anthracite nylon strap sometime as well for the Airborne.

Visit them on the web at http://www.govbergwatches.com or call 800-528-8463

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:06 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 9 posts
jordan1708 wrote:
Driver8 wrote:

The croc strap was £20
It’s £500 from Breitling
How did you find the quality on that strap you ordered?

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:45 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

minhc88 wrote:
jordan1708 wrote:
Driver8 wrote:

The croc strap was £20
It’s £500 from Breitling
How did you find the quality on that strap you ordered?

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
Great.. it’s genuine calf leather

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:31 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 370 posts
Quote:
Great.. it’s genuine calf leather.

Were you looking for a strap made from croc skin or a leather strap that looks like a croc skin?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:03 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

56scooter wrote:
Quote:

Were you looking for a strap made from croc skin or a leather strap that looks like a croc skin?
No

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:47 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 370 posts
jordan1708 wrote:
56scooter wrote:
Quote:

No

I am somewhat confused, there are straps made from crocodile which tend to be pricey, Breitling, Jean-Rosseau, and ABP Paris are an example of these. There are calf leather straps that are imprinted with a crocodile pattern which may or may not be passed off as real crocodile. It is somewhat difficult to compare different straps if you are not comparing apples to apples so to speak. What kind of strap were you looking for?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:18 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

56scooter wrote:
jordan1708 wrote:
56scooter wrote:
No

I am somewhat confused, there are straps made from crocodile which tend to be pricey, Breitling, Jean-Rosseau, and ABP Paris are an example of these. There are calf leather straps that are imprinted with a crocodile pattern which may or may not be passed off as real crocodile. It is somewhat difficult to compare different straps if you are not comparing apples to apples so to speak. What kind of strap were you looking for?

I bought a smooth calf leather strap.