The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:49 pm 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Liked in: 343 posts
So about 2 weeks ago I noticed that my Airborne power reserve was depleted since I had set it down and never turned on the winder. I went to wind it to get it started and noticed it just didn’t feel right. The movement felt very gritty and almost like something was grinding. The watch has always been tough to wind but this was on a whole new level. I did have an issue with the crown shortly after getting the watch and had to send it in and it’s been trouble free since then. I sent a quick text to my AD and he advised to send it in. I couldn’t remember the date my warranty started so I checked my warranty booklet and luckily I had exactly 7 days left of my 5 year warranty. I quickly started a service request and sent the watch in. Within a week of receiving the watch, Breitling advised me that there was damage to the movement and the watch would be repaired under warranty with an anticipated completion date of January 9th.

I have to admit, having the ability to track a repair is a huge plus to me and I’m not sure of many other brands that do this. I’m also glad this will be a quick turnaround time and should be back on my wrist after only having it be gone for just about one month.

Visit them on the web at http://www.govbergwatches.com or call 800-528-8463

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:16 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 370 posts
Congratulations on dodging a $1000 repair bill. The value of an extended or longer warranty is obvious. There have pieces that I have moved that I have had issues with during the warranty period. My opinion is that if there are issues with the watch from the start, those issues will only continue past the expiration of the warranty. One of my biggest gripes about repairs made under the warranty is that the companies do not credit you for the time that you are without the watch. If repairs could be made in a week, then it would be not big deal. But, when you are without your watch for six months or longer of a two year warranty, as is the case with many brands, then I think there should be consideration granted by the respective manufacturer in extending the the warranty of the watch.

I realize that various brands are extending their warranties periods, and kudos to Breitling for starting that trend, but I think that some re-thinking needs to be done for when you are without your watch for an extended period. I am fortunate to have several pieces to choose from when I decide what watch to wear. However, I would hate to be the individual who saves up for an expensive watch, finally buys it, only to have it require warranty work and be without it while it is repaired.

Justin, I apologize for hijacking your post to rant but this has always been one of my pet peeves!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:36 pm 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Liked in: 343 posts
Scot - no worries on hijacking the thread as I think you raise some good points. I forgot what brand it was, but I thought I read somewhere on a forum awhile back about some brands giving loaner watches out during services, I think it was Panerai but I may be wrong. It would be great service to offer and I could see brands that have extended service periods going it. I’m just surprised at how quickly the turnaround time is going to be for mine. I know warranty work gets prioritized but the thought of only having it gone for a month amazes me.

The biggest lesson in this is make sure your watch is good before the warranty expires. I got extremely lucky that the power reserve wore out the week before and I just happened to grab it and wind it, or attempt to wind it to find out it had a problem.

Visit them on the web at http://www.govbergwatches.com or call 800-528-8463