It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Crown stem issue
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:57 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
Hi Guys,
Not usual for me to post here but needed to share this.

First off I don't wear this watch, the Seawolf Titanium, much, in fact hardly ever. It's to easily damaged. So it has hardly been worn since the last overhaul, probably around seven years ago. Work-a-day watch is a Carrera Cal5.

I was winding the watch a couple of weekends back and the crown was just turning. No resistance at all, absolutely nothing. I wondered if the crown was full out to wind it, so pulled the crown. The crown and stem came away in my hand. Pulled right out the watch. :shock:

I'm sure you can imagine what was going through my head in that moment of shock. Couple of seconds later, when my brain re-engaged, I nervously pushed the stem back in and felt a gentle click. So I screwed the crown in, unscrewed it again, tried winding the watch and all was fine. Winding and date set are all good, and the crown positively stops in the date set position.

Now as I hardly wear the watch I know I will have set the date since the overhaul, so the crown has been pulled out before but previously it only came out to the date set position. The watches are not on winders, but I do wind them weekly

Any ideas? Have I been unlucky or lucky?

Winding is something I am constantly nervous of since the stem on the Colt snapped when winding it around ten years ago so the watches are always wound 'with care'.

Cheers,

SuperOcean Heritage 46
Avenger Seawolf Ti
Colt 2 Automatic