All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Dealer allocations
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:57 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 7 posts
Hi all

Bit of a rant/opinion poll!!!

I have been trying to get one of the Superocean Heritage 57 rainbow watches (blue face) from when they were first announced, not because I want to put it in a winder/safe, but because I think it looks awesome and I want to wear it everyday.

I spoke to my local dealer and put my name down, and at that time they informed me that I was top of the list and when one came in, they’d give me a call. I was passing today so thought I’d call in and see if they had any update.

The very nice lady told me that they’d had their allocation (1) but it had been sold. I asked why I wasn’t called, as I’d been told that I was first on the list? Don’t get me wrong, I appreciate that there are some big buyers out there, and that they’d be put in front of me if they flexed their muscles. But she then told me that it was actually the owner of the store who’d since seen that they were making high prices on the aftermarket, and as they (retailers) are having to make a donation to charity, he’s taken the watch for himself to either keep and sell, or flip straight on at a higher price.

I get that as the owner of a store you get privileges, but I guess it kinda makes a mockery of a release of 1000 pieces, that if all ADs do this, then we as customers have a Very slim chance of getting decent watches as retail prices, which is a bit rubbish.

I appreciate that this must go on all of the time, but having waited excitedly for a while, I’m now left with no watch (as all other ADs have sold out), and can’t pay £10k for a £3.5k watch!

It makes you wonder whether Breitling (And others) offer these releases as a way for their ADs to line their pockets, as a thanks for buying the normal stock!

Rant over! - and it makes it more annoying that I still love the watch!!

Post subject: Re: Dealer allocations
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:08 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
I'm surprised the sales lady threw her boss under a bus like that by telling a customer, but I agree that must be seriously irritating for you. I don't know whether Breitling would officially frown on this kind of thing or not, but either way it's certainly a morally dubious thing for the AD to do IMHO. That said, I'm sure it happens more than we think - we always just assume that high-rolling "whales" just jump the list for whatever they want (which I'm sure they do), but in reality a lot of the time pieces probably go to the AD himself, or one of his buddies, before ending up on the grey market.

All I will say is it's probably way more rare for Breitling than the likes of Rolex, purely because the demand for Breitlings are generally less. For example I know of an AD local to me where their main Rolex salesman suddenly managed to land himself a Daytona, despite him claiming to have "been on the list" himself. When waiting lists on those are being quoted at up to 20 years(! :lol: ), it's somewhat surprising he managed to land one himself...... :roll:

Site Moderator

beaney likes this post.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:21 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Thanks Driver8 and I completely agree that it probably is far worse with other brands. I also agree that the AD would not be happy with the lady telling me what’s happened - I think they’d rather have just said that they never got one at all!!!!

I’m now trying to decide whether I get one of the “normal” Heritage 57s. But I can’t decide between the blue face or the black/rose gold one. I think the blue plays nicely with the light, but the black/gold breaks up the bezel a bit better! Decisions....

WatchFred likes this post.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:52 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 370 posts
Consider yourself lucky, As a Breitling fan you face a situation like this once every 10 years :poke: :poke: The average Rolex fan faces this every time he walks into an AD! :poke: :poke:

beaney likes this post.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:54 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 49 posts
56scooter wrote:
Consider yourself lucky, As a Breitling fan you face a situation like this once every 10 years :poke: :poke: The average Rolex fan faces this every time he walks into an AD! :poke: :poke:
so true

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:14 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1727 posts
Patek & Rolex play in a different league; reasons explained. Breitling is currently winning market share, several of the new models do sell very well, but, of course, only LE will have the potential of being oversold.

Re the "non-limited" SO '57, tough choice between the blue & the bi-color, suggest to try both on, bi-color is much more elegant and "formal", quite dressy, the blue is mesmerizing in different lighting situations, a cheerful watch:

Side note: expect another limited non-Rainbow SO '57 option soon, but you may need to be quick should you like it ;)

re Rolex, this says it all:

beaney likes this post.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:00 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Thanks Fred.

I’ve ordered the blue, so look forward to getting it in a couple of weeks. I like the 57 because it is a bit different and fun, so your description of the blue being playful was great to hear.

I’ve also gone for the steel mesh bracelet, which is a change to my norm. I usually order leather straps, but having tried a Superocean 42 with the mesh, I was blown away by how comfy it was, but also I loved how much it shone in the light.

And regards your side note, if the future colours are going to be those around the bezel (and replicating the Rolex releases), I think blue would still be my favourite, so I’ll get one while I can! But I like that Breitling is having a bit of fun with these!

WatchFred likes this post.
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:27 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Thanks for the advice WatchFred.

My blue SOH 57 arrived yesterday and it’s gorgeous!

It is a really comfortable to watch to wear (no doubt helped by the slim profile), and despite some photos making the dial look very large, in person it actually looks really in proportion. Similarly the concave shape is there, but nowhere near as pronounced as in some online photos.

It’s a great looking watch that in my opinion has the balance of being a bit different and fun, without being too crazy.

Really impressed and hope that Breitling keep launching the good stuff!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.