Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: help me decide
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:30 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Hello everyone, long time lurker first time poster etc.

My father passed away in March this year. He had a number of watches that he left to the grandkids.

It got me thinking that I want a watch that I can leave to someone someday. I wear a poor mans Breitling these days but I will be purchasing something in the next couple of months.

I went to one of the AD's in Ireland because I had my heart set on the Aerospace EVO. How disappointed was I. So light, and didn't really have any presence. Plus the salesman also made a good point that if I was looking to buy a watch pass to a loved one in lets say 30ish years the digital service at that time may be obsolete.

So moving on to the Superocean 44. This seems to be the best option to me. Its a watch and tells the time.

I would like to get the watch engraved with my mum and dads names.

This is a one time purchase deal so I am open to suggestions around the Superocean 44 I or II.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: help me decide
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:43 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 52 posts
Asking others what watch you should buy is a bit like asking for advice on who you should marry, or if blondes are more attractive than burnettes. There are many beautiful (and ugly) watches, but your opinion is the only one that counts. I have a watch that I've worn nearly every day for 15 years, and it's something I love. Others don't like it or like other watches better, but that doesn't diminish my enjoyment of this watch.

If you're looking to buy an heirloom, I agree with the concern over a digital watch. I had been considering a B50 for a while, and for the very reason you highlighted I haven't purchased it.

You could certainly have one engraved. Perhaps your name would be more appropriate addition to a watch you intend to pass to a grandkid, but again, you get to decide what your heirloom is. The good news it this is a decision you can always decide years from now, and add the inscription once your have sat with the idea for a while.

My general advice to you is to not rush into this purchase. Picking a watch you'll wear every day for the rest of your life, especially one that will become a family heirloom, needs to be approached with great caution and consideration. Go visit your local AD often, read about different watches, and let the one that speaks to you bubble up to the top. I've found pictures of watches and watched videos of them, then went to the AD all excited about adding a watch to my rotation, only to be disappointed for one reason or another when I see a watch in person.

The watch you want not only tells time, it tells a story about you. Your grandson will wear it and think about you because the watch is a reflection of your personality and the days when he saw you wearing it.

Kodiak likes this post.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:30 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Nihon_Ni wrote:
Asking others what watch you should buy is a bit like asking for advice on who you should marry, or if blondes are more attractive than burnettes. There are many beautiful (and ugly) watches, but your opinion is the only one that counts. I have a watch that I've worn nearly every day for 15 years, and it's something I love. Others don't like it or like other watches better, but that doesn't diminish my enjoyment of this watch.

If you're looking to buy an heirloom, I agree with the concern over a digital watch. I had been considering a B50 for a while, and for the very reason you highlighted I haven't purchased it.

You could certainly have one engraved. Perhaps your name would be more appropriate addition to a watch you intend to pass to a grandkid, but again, you get to decide what your heirloom is. The good news it this is a decision you can always decide years from now, and add the inscription once your have sat with the idea for a while.

My general advice to you is to not rush into this purchase. Picking a watch you'll wear every day for the rest of your life, especially one that will become a family heirloom, needs to be approached with great caution and consideration. Go visit your local AD often, read about different watches, and let the one that speaks to you bubble up to the top. I've found pictures of watches and watched videos of them, then went to the AD all excited about adding a watch to my rotation, only to be disappointed for one reason or another when I see a watch in person.

The watch you want not only tells time, it tells a story about you. Your grandson will wear it and think about you because the watch is a reflection of your personality and the days when he saw you wearing it.

:yeahthat Couldn't have put it better myself. :thumbsup:

As Nihon_Ni rightly said, the absolute key point is don't rush any of it - don't rush the purchase and definitely don't rush the engraving, and mechanical over quartz is a must for any heirloom consideration.

All I would add is that I would tend to go for something iconic/classic - something that has already stood the test of time, and will therefore be likely to continue to stand the test of time. By that I don't necessarily mean vintage (although it's an option) - I mean something modern but with classic/iconic styling. Like a Navitimer for example. Some things that look cutting edge now may end up looking seriously dated in only a few years.

But that said, the choice is entirely yours, and YOU have to be happy with it first and foremost. What anyone else thinks is utterly irrelevant. It sounds like you're quite new to these type of watches, so (again as Nihon_Ni said) read up and learn about the different options out there before taking the plunge. Good luck!

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:02 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 37 posts
I second that on the classic looking watch. Anything (whatever the brand) that is stylised now will look quite dated in a number of years. Just my opinion, but the recent Superoceans (while nice enough) are not everyone's cup of tea.
I'm sure others will argue.

Otherwise a traditional looking Navitimer, Superocean Heritage or Transocean 3-hander would stand the test of time.

The world is your lobster!
:D