The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:22 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 3 posts
Breitling’s newest “folding clasp” is really a hybrid tang/clasp arrangement. IMHO this hybrid leaves you with all the downsides of the tang (well, first there’s the tang itself) and without the biggest benefit of the clasp (infinite adjustability). Yes, you can push a button to open the clasp & remove the watch, but you’re still stuck if your wrist happens to be in-between the punches holes in the strap. Maybe the folding clasp will put less strain on the strap & holes, but I guess that remains to be seen.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:47 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 49 posts
I have the old folding clasp and it digs in my wrist. I have a folding clasp similar to this on my zenith and I much prefer it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:25 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
atebit wrote:
Breitling’s newest “folding clasp” is really a hybrid tang/clasp arrangement. IMHO this hybrid leaves you with all the downsides of the tang (well, first there’s the tang itself) and without the biggest benefit of the clasp (infinite adjustability). Yes, you can push a button to open the clasp & remove the watch, but you’re still stuck if your wrist happens to be in-between the punches holes in the strap. Maybe the folding clasp will put less strain on the strap & holes, but I guess that remains to be seen.

I must be honest and say that I don't own one of the new deployants myself, but I've handled a watch with it and personally I really liked it. Sure, it's not as infinitely adjustable as the old one, but I prefer the push button security over friction fit and you also avoid that weird kink on the strap that the old deployant caused where it bends through the clasp.

Personally I think you get the best of a tang-and-buckle (i.e. the strap lays flat on your wrist, and you get far more strap options), with the reduced strap wear of a deployant by not constantly bending and pulling it through the buckle. I also think it's more secure than either the ordinary tang-and-buckle (no accidentally dropping the watch taking it off!) and the old deployant by not being a simple friction fit clasp.

I agree the downside is the lack of infinite adjustment, but I always find the flexible nature of leather makes this far less of an issue than a lack of fine adjustment on a steel bracelet....., and I'm incredibly picky about getting a fit just right.

Site Moderator

WatchFred likes this post.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:51 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 408 posts
I have a leather hole punch kit and I generally will add 1 hole to a watch strap with clasps like that in order to have more options on fit. And then I can also adjust in the summer vs winter if I need to loosen or tighten it at all.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:20 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 3 posts
Driver, you could be right, though I have several deployants & folding clasps and at least for me it’s rare for one of them to open up on their own. I guess I’ll have to try this new one and see. If I decide to keep it, I probably will have to get someone to add another hole (I’m sure if I tried I’d make it in the wrong place, out of line, or something else that would bug me).